Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nebraska Tax Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Nebraska on
Q: I want to give my child a car that I purchased. Will the child or myself have to pay sales tax on the transfer in NE?

The car is only a few months old. I purchased it new.

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Feb 24, 2021

Your question doesn't say if your child is an adult or a minor.

Generally purchases/gifts from family members are not exempt from the normal rules. The DMV's website has information about the sale and taxes required to be paid....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Nebraska on
Q: Can the IRS put a lien our house if my wife is considered an injured spouse and we aren’t in a community property state

I owe some back taxes to the IRS from 2009-2012. I haven’t filed taxes since then because I’m 100% service-connected disabled with the VA so my income is tax free. I married my wife in 2016 so she was unaware of my back taxes. — We have been taking care of her taxes by filing ‘injured... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jan 4, 2021

Your question is too specific for a general posting board like this. The IRS has some of the most powerful tools of all creditors to collect back taxes. That being said, there are certain exemptions that they cannot garnish from. Even if your income is exempt, your assets may not be or may only... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Nebraska on
Q: I'm married,have been living apart from spouse for over a year -with intention to divorce. Am I legally separated?
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jul 22, 2020

You can file a legal separation action in Nebraska. It is similar to a divorce action in that it addresses property, debt, and child custody issues, but it is different in that the parties remain legally married. Thus, when someone says they are legally separated and mean it in the technical... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Tax Law for Nebraska on
Q: can they charge you inheritance tax if you never received the inheritance?

Court papers mailed to us saying we owe taxes on an inheritance. We never received an inheritance. We were told that once my husbands dad and uncle pass away then my husband would get what is left over, however when I call the courts it says that it was tax on an amount down to the penny. I called... Read more »

David Ostrove
David Ostrove answered on Feb 25, 2020

The tax is based on the fair market value of what the beneficiary receives, even though the actual receipt may be postponed. The lawyer will need more facts to answer.

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Nebraska on
Q: I have a court ordered judgment against me from my divorce. Can I use this amount in my Offer to Compromise
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Feb 23, 2020

Court ordered payments are allowed. Having said that the IRS will look at any income that will become available after an expense is paid off within the statute of limitations. Unless you have a very simple financial picture, you would be better off hiring someone to help you submit the Offer. I... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Nebraska on
Q: My son lives in and pays mortgage on a house that is in my name. Can I deduct the interest on my taxes? He does not.
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 28, 2019

The IRS does not allow any taxpayers to deduct interest paid on any mortgage that the taxpayer does not pay. Nor do most if not all states that have an income tax.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Nebraska on
Q: What kind of options might I have when my Employer is over paying me, but isn't fixing the issue causing it?

I keep getting over paid by my employer. Despite my best attempts at getting in contact with HR and payroll to get this issue resolved, nothing happens. I receive no call back or emails. I have been trying to work with them to give back the over payment amounts. I have been over paid by... Read more »

Susan Chana Lask
Susan Chana Lask answered on Apr 14, 2018

Since it's tax filing time this week, the first issue that hits me with your question is they will report the overpayments to the IRS, and it raises your tax liability.

You can write a check to the company for the overpayment amounts, but that will not resolve the fact that they are...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.