Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
North Carolina Communications Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for North Carolina on
Q: Is it legal for my employees to tell the father of another that shows up, that they don’t work there if they do?

I am a manager who was out this week sick and one of my employees has an unsavory relationship with father- not legal issues, just typical disconnects that have progressed to her avoiding contact with them altogether. He went to her boyfriends house, where her boyfriends father told him where she... View More

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 28, 2023

In situations where a person shows up at a workplace asking about another individual, employees typically have the discretion to provide information or decline to do so. However, there are legal and ethical considerations to keep in mind.

In general, employees should be cautious about...
View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for North Carolina on
Q: So if The person recording everything about a day is the only person knows that they're recording it still legal

My wife wants me to record everything that happens at work if I'm not on call with her, is that still legal if I'm the only person who knows that they're recording is there and I'm the only person consenting to it but no one else knows is that even legal

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 5, 2023

In North Carolina, the legality of recording conversations hinges on the state's consent laws. North Carolina is a "one-party consent" state, which means that as long as you are a party to the conversation, you can legally record it without needing to get permission from the other... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Business Law, Collections and Communications Law for North Carolina on
Q: Got a car from a "buy here pay here" lot. Made payments on time, but now after a year they keep texting me sayin Im late

I got a car for my son November 2022. All payments have been made, on time. But starting in December 2023, they keep contacting me saying I'm behind and and contacting me saying "if I need help making payments I can send a friend in and if they buy a car I will get $200.00". Is this... View More

Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
answered on Dec 4, 2023

Take proof of all of your on time payments to them and speak to them about this. To cover yourself, you could mail in the proof with a letter complaining about the situation and asking them to stop the unjustified messages (get a tracking number and pproof of delivery). The "help making... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law for North Carolina on
Q: For how much maximum can you sue someone for violating TCPA, in north carolina
N'kia (NLN)
N'kia (NLN)
answered on Apr 2, 2023

Since the Telephone Consumer Protection Act ("TCPA") is a federal law, the penalties are the same for every state or jurisdiction. The standard penalty is $500 per violation or the actual sum of monetary loss, whichever is higher.

For violations committed knowingly or willfully,...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Communications Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can i have someone in another state arrested for communicating threats?
Kristen Dewar
Kristen Dewar
answered on Nov 22, 2017

Yes, you can.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.