Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Collections legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Puerto Rico Collections Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Contracts for Puerto Rico on
Q: Can a law suite and judgement in Puerto Rico for collection of rent for an abandoned apartment be extended to the States

I have a building in Puerto Rico where a tenant recently stopped paying rent and went back to the states. There are 6 months left on the lease and I am trying to decide whether it's worth pursuing in court.

If I am able to get a lawsuit judgment in PR courts can I then extend that... View More

Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
answered on Jun 19, 2020

A judgment from Puerto Rico would be treated as a judgment from any of the 50 states. The judgment creditor would need to follow the procedure required under the laws of the state where property ( or assets such as bank accounts, etc.) has been found, so that the P.R. judgment can be executed in... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Municipal Law and Collections for Puerto Rico on
Q: About 2 years ago I won a civil case in Puerto Rico. But I havent received all money. What can i do now?

About 2 years ago I won A civil suit in Puerto Rico against my niece(who happens to be a police officer) who had stolen money from my account. I live in New York. She was ordered to pay me back sum of $27,000. She paid me only $10,000 and has not bothered to pay the rest. My lawyer said that I... View More

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
answered on Nov 28, 2017

You can docket the judgment from Puerto Rico in New York. You need to get a certified copy from the court there.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Puerto Rico on
Q: How do I collect on a debt for someone who has left Puerto Rico?
Naomi Jusino
Naomi Jusino
answered on Jan 8, 2017

You have to file the claim and notify your summons to the last address known of that person. If you don't know the address you will have to publish the summons via edict.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.