Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Wyoming Tax Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Tax Law and Business Law for Wyoming on
Q: Do we have to file Form 941 and Form 940 if we have independent contractors only (no employees) in our Wyoming LLC?

We have a Wyoming LLC with independent contractors, no employees. Form SS-4 for EIN says to file Form 941 and Form 940 by January 31. We like to know if this is required if we have independent contractors only. We don’t have tax payments.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 26, 2024

No, if your Wyoming LLC only has independent contractors and no actual employees, then you would not have to file IRS Form 941 (Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return) or Form 940 (Employer’s Annual Federal Unemployment Tax Return).

The key factors here are:

- Independent...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Wyoming on
Q: How can my parents get the IRS to leave them alone?

They sold their business to J. J pays them monthly. J misappropriated covid relief funds and the IRS is going after him for $1,000,000. They are now going after my parents too and have take over $122,000 from them on 2 separate occasions. How can we get their money protected and the IRS to leave... View More

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
answered on Aug 7, 2023

Your parents need to consult with a tax attorney. It is impossible to give you advice in this format Most of us offer a free consultation. Just tell your parents to stay away from the places they see advertised on TV.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Business Formation and Business Law for Wyoming on
Q: Should I establish as a LLC or S-Corp in Wyoming? What's the best tax-saving path?

I currently reside in California and am planning on establishing my consulting agency. It will just be me and planning to hire independent contractors.

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
answered on Dec 29, 2019

You should setup an LLC in the state where you operate. Then determine if an S-election is appropriate for your LLC.

If you establish in WY you'll have to file a foreign registration in CA.

Hire a professional.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Tax Law for Wyoming on
Q: What is the effective difference between a C-Corp and an LLC taxed as a C-Corp?

I am from the UK and looking to setup a US business. I've decided that taxation as a C-Corp is best as I am looking to build capital and retain profits in the company so a pass-through entity is not ideal. I understand that as a C-Corp, things are more formal and decisions require minuted... View More

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
answered on Aug 19, 2019

For tax there is no difference. For state business compliance issues a Corporation has slightly more things that have to be done to maintain the corporate veil. Annual meetings are required where an LLC can waive them you have to set a par value for shares and report the number of shares issued... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Business Formation and Immigration Law for Wyoming on
Q: - How am I taxed in the US?- What type of entity should I choose to file my EIN application?

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have a few questions about my Wyoming LLC which I just registered. I originally registered the LLC especially in Wyoming because of the tax & privacy regulations.

- How am I taxed in the US?

- What type of entity should I choose to file my EIN... View More

Camlinh Nguyen Rogers
Camlinh Nguyen Rogers
answered on Jul 10, 2016

There are questions and answers similar to the mentioned situation on our website at You can take a look for general information. Also you consult with an experienced immigration attorney for your best interest. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Wyoming on
Q: Is a uniform allowance for an employee of a private company non-taxable?

If it meets the burdens of 1) Required by the employer 2) not suitable for general everday wear such as that worn in healthcare?

Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi
answered on Nov 19, 2013

Uniform allowance included in W-2 could be deducted only as an itemized deduction subject to 2% threshold. It would be best if the employer just buys the uniform for staff and doesn't include it in W-2, because by itemizing, staff loses some of the money, or some do not even itemize. good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.