Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Intellectual Property Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Construction Law, Intellectual Property and Small Claims for California on
Q: What is the law regarding replacing sentimental property that is damaged in the state of California

I had a leak in my ceiling in the apartment I rent. They rushed me out put me in another apartment but they damaged a lot of my property and a lot of it with sentimental value including an airplane propeller that my ex-boyfriend UPS to me when I got my bachelor's degree from flight school he... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Intellectual Property for California on
Q: Exploited By CAL EVID DIVISION 8. CHAPTER 4 ARTICLE 9 1041, When can the discloser of how ? Since Iam the Source,info?

EXPLOITED by the Police and educational institution for research. Invalid For the conduct of the law enforcement or academic to processed in this manner. Further more the impoverishment upon me with the time elapse people tend to stay away from you and now i am what? What can i Do to get this... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Intellectual Property for California on
Q: I am using a paid language learning program to study a language and wondered if making flashcards would be infringing

I am using a paid language learning program to study a language. I want to make my own flashcards based on the words I learned. It will only be accessible to me. Would I be infringing on their copyright and databases? I know the companies compile words in categories and levels.

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Sep 16, 2021

You would need to consult with an attorney

Most likely the infringement is discovered when the copied work is put in commerce

0 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property, Real Estate Law and Family Law for West Virginia on
Q: How can I get the property deed my father left me

Father passed away mother still alive there is no living will but there is a property deed with my name and 2 Siblings one of which doesn't live near and hasn't been around much or had anything to do with the property the other of which one is deceased , i still reside there and have... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property and Tax Law for Hawaii on
Q: My lease on a bank owned property is not up for 18 mos. The bank owns property no for past year1/2. They want me to

Vacate within 30days with a request for money to vacate early from lease on a cash4keys? They were supposed to be paying me $1200mo, per my lease for maintenance security etc. The bank/foreclosure new owner have paid nothing. My rent is $300 which deducts from my fee.

Can I stay... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property and Estate Planning for Florida on
Q: What happens if 1 of children sells property, personal belongings, and memorabilia of a parent that has recently died?

Recently a mother has died and left behind 2 sons and 2 daughters (all over age 25) . Property, debt, and personal belongings where to be handled and to figured out between the children after handling funeral procedures. The youngest daughter decided to sell off mother's property behind the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Intellectual Property for Arizona on
Q: Can I teach martial arts?

So I've been Practicing Taekwondo for 7 years now and had been considering teaching kick boxing on the side for some extra cash, and my Instructor had said that if I tried to teach martial arts outside of the school I could be sued because of copy right, could they possibly do that?

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Sep 12, 2021

You should consult with an attorney

But as long as you are not taking content, printed or recorded, from somebody else, and as long as you are not violating any employment or NDA, you can be ok

0 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant on
Q: Do I have to leave a property if I’ve been living there but my name isn’t on the tenancy? I need to add more

I’ve been living with my ex partner an the tenancy is in her name and also her dad put his name down on it however she got arrested for attacking me and now is not aloud near the property, her dad has messaged me saying I need to leave but I have nowhere to do until 7th Oct 2021 where do I stand... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Elder Law, Intellectual Property and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: Hi there, I'm sorry to bother you...I don’t know what to do…

… I have an older sister that is a meth addict and her daughter also following in her footsteps. They both live with my parents that are from the age of 77 to 84. In the short, my sister and loser daughter are stealing money from my parents, blackmailing my dad and pressuring my dad to help them... Read more »

Sally Bergman
Sally Bergman answered on Sep 10, 2021

You should immediately call Adult Protective Services who will investigate. Your parents can file for an Elder Abuse Restraining Order and can likely have your sister and her daughter removed from the home. If your parents will not support that action, you may need to consider filing for... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Communications Law, Identity Theft and Intellectual Property for Georgia on
Q: How is it legal for lawyer directories to disclose the information of lawyers to the public, without prior consent? - GA

Georgia recognizes all four common-law invasion of privacy claims: intrusion upon solitude or seclusion, public disclosure of private facts (e.g., unreasonable publicity given to one's private life), false-light privacy (e.g., publicity that normally places the other in a false light before... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Q: Can I immediately evict a tenant if they threaten property damage through text? He’s also verbally threatened my fiancé.

He’s been staying with us for awhile, he hasn’t paid rent this month and hasn’t paid bills from the month prior. He also made himself a liability when he constantly gets drunk and plays with his firearms. When confronted, he verbally threatened my fiancé while I was at work and told us he... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Sep 8, 2021

If rent is unpaid, deliver a 3-day notice to vacate, then file an eviction action. If you just change the the locks and throw his things outside, he could sue you for wrongful eviction. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to assist you.

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law and Intellectual Property for California on
Q: today the company came and told us that we needed to take out all our things from storage room that they are going to

Board them up we have been living hear for 11yrs and we've had it since then

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 11, 2021

Unless occupancy of the storage room is a part of your lease, you need to remove your property before it is disposed of by the owners. If you have a right to the storage area by your lease, then you should contact a local attorney to discuss your personal situation.

0 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Internet Law on
Q: Hey, what happen if I get sued in the USA and loose the case if I don't live in the US ? I live in Europe

Hey, I'm selling software who is ""illegal"" in the USA, but It's not illegal in my country,

I'm getting sued for Copyright Infringement / "create unauthorized derivative works",

I live in France, what can happen If I have to pay someone but don't do it

0 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Intellectual Property and International Law for California on
Q: Inhumane treatment, I'm sure I have some type of technology placed in me that allows for people to place messages in me.

These messages seem like thoughts, this device is able to pressure me without the ability to think. I've lost my life, residency, work, family, and my person. This has been happening for 20 years at least. Something has to be done. Fear tactics are used that do not allow me to fight back. This... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Copyright and Intellectual Property for Missouri on
Q: I have a product I would like to sell that is similar to the pop sockets but not the same. How can I attach an image?

I have an Etsy shop, so I don't want to and can't infringe on any of their patents. How do I get approval for my item? They are sold as blanks for sublimation at online businesses, but I would have to decorate them myself with my own patterns. I have tried contacting pop socket, but they... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Iowa on
Q: I need to know if this is breaching a Patent.

For school, I am planning a a Solar Array for the roof a vehicle such as a Pickup Truck or Van. My idea is similar to an existing patent, Patent Publication Number 20180175785, however my idea is smaller in size, by more than half, and designed for a different purpose, renewable energy generation... Read more »

Liliana Di Nola-Baron
Liliana Di Nola-Baron answered on Sep 2, 2021

The issue is how different is your invention from other products claimed in patents and patent applications, or disclosed in the literature. You should consult a patent attorney to assist you with a patentability evaluation of your product.

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Indiana on
Q: My boyfriend killed one of the 2 dogs that killed my pet rabbit on my property that we rent in Indiana.Case againstowner

Dogs tore through hutch and killed my pet rabbit. Boyfriend killed one dog but other took off. That dog ended up coming back 10 minutes after. Animal control took live dog to owner. Owner came to our house and took their dead dog. What can I do?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.