Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alabama Elder Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Alabama on
Q: In Alabama, will Medicare/Medicaid require a home, placed in a life estate, to be sold to cover nursing home care?
William E. Scully Jr.
William E. Scully Jr. answered on Jun 28, 2014

Not always. You can continue to have your home in many circumstances. For example, the spouse of the person in the nursing home can continue to remain in the home for his or her life. If there is a reasonable possibility that the person in the nursing home will recover and return to live in the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Alabama on
Q: What rights do siblings have when their single sibling is unable to care for himself and lives in an unsafe environment?

My brother has end stage renal failure and won't take his medicines. His home is littered with cat feces, medical waste, and dirty clothes and dishes. Can he be declared incompetent? He goes to dialysis, but leaves before treatment is completed.

William E. Scully Jr.
William E. Scully Jr. answered on Jun 24, 2014

This doesn't sound like a case where you can have your brother declared incompetent. Even if declared incompetent, he would be released from the psychiatric facility in short order. There is not a good legal solution to this situation. In today's world, the best you can do is to try to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Alabama on
Q: I signed my mother in law out of nursing hm her and husband owe property can we sell?

Her and my husband own property can we sell? We live else where. There's no power of attonery or living will.

Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman answered on Jun 20, 2014

Assuming the property you are referring to is real estate, the answer is "no." If she wants to sell and she has the mental capacity to do so, why not have her sign the paperwork?

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Alabama on
Q: How to get power of attorney for and elderly parent with dementia?
William E. Scully Jr.
William E. Scully Jr. answered on Apr 18, 2014

This is a pretty old question so it might be too late for the particular questioner to use this information. Perhaps someone else will read it and find it useful. The problem here is that an incompetent person cannot make a power of attorney. Now, a person is not incompetent just he or she has... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.