Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

District of Columbia Family Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for District of Columbia on

Q: Can my ex husband cut child support in half when our son is spending time with him for the month in summer?

State of Georgia divorce decree but live in Washington, DC.

Paula J. Mcgill answered on Aug 20, 2014

I am licensed in DC and Georgia.

In either jurisdiction, unless the order allows your ex to decrease child support during the summer, he must comply with the order. If he fails to pay child support when due, file a petition for contempt.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for District of Columbia on

Q: I am being sued for child support; however, I am already paying child support for other children. My income is the same.

Paula J. Mcgill answered on Jul 27, 2013

The fact that you are already paying child support for other children will be taken into consideration by the court in the current case.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for District of Columbia on

Q: How can i look up my daughter's father affadavit from court?

Paula J. Mcgill answered on Mar 11, 2012

In DC, you can go the Clerk's office (Family Law) and request the case file. If you are a party in the matter, there shouldn't be a problem obtaining the affidavit. The family law clerk is on the ground level of the courthouse.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.