Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
District of Columbia Small Claims Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights, Elder Law and Small Claims for District of Columbia on
Q: can i file suit for defamation and elderly abuse under Title 18 in dc? under what sections? Cannot get an answer.

I am 70 years old. I asked a question during a town hall meeting at the senior wellness center I have attended daily for the last 7 years. The 55 year old program director, did not like the question because she did not have a valid answer, was embarrassed. She then filed a fictitious Barring... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Dec 5, 2020

A Washington, D.C. attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. At this point, you could reach out to attorneys in the Libel & Slander sections to discuss. As a general note, keep in mind that such cases are not generally handled on a contingency basis the way... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for District of Columbia on
Q: I brought a car last night and now I realize that the odometer have been tempted with. What should I do I live in md
Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
answered on Jan 24, 2019

Did you buy the car in DC or from an owner or dealer in DC? If you bought it in MD, you may need to consult with a MD lawyer for help re: fraud and breach of contract. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for District of Columbia on
Q: My AC unit hasn't worked for 2yrs. New owners say they do not supply ac units. But in the past 2yrs my rent as gone up.

Can I recoup the amt of the rent increase? 2yrs worth.

Andrellos Mitchell
Andrellos Mitchell
answered on Jun 26, 2018

If I understand your very limited facts correctly...I would ask, Why would a new landlord pay for something that an old landlord did or did not do?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Small Claims for District of Columbia on
Q: Do I have a legal claim against my previous employer for continued usage of my voice on a recording after I was let go?

During my employment at a Hotel, I was asked by the General Manager of the location if my voice could be used for the answering service for the hotel. I agreed, and my voice was recorded and used. Some months later, I was let go. It has now been months from that time, and my voice recording is... View More

Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
answered on Feb 28, 2017

It sounds like you gave the hotel the right to use your voice, so I don't hear a claim for violation of publicity rights. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.