Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Maine Contracts Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Maine on
Q: I am in a lease/option contract. The owner and I have found a buyer and is under a contract. Doesn't that void mine?

The buyer has a 30-day contract to buy the house..the title work was begun a month before his contract was signed. There is a 'gap in ownership' that the title company says is not an easy fix. They claim it could drag on for awhile. The owner is doing nothing to repair the title and... Read more »

Elliott R. Teel Esq
Elliott R. Teel Esq
answered on Feb 22, 2018

More information is needed to really answer this question. The contract would need to be reviewed to determine if it was valid to begin with, or if there has been a breach.

Depending on the problem with the title, it may not be worth exercising your option right now.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Collections for Maine on
Q: Maine-I filed small claims action 4 breach of contract re: dog breeding, I won, Defendant did not pay judgement $6000 by

deadline, had been given means 2 do so by courts in ruling by selling pups in her possession awarded 2 plaintiff 2 be placed from defendants residence due 2 health concerns. I then filed a contempt case & won. Defendant ordered 2 pay $1000 what they claimed they had left after spending rest... Read more »

Elliott R. Teel Esq
Elliott R. Teel Esq
answered on Jun 16, 2017

Sounds like you have done a good job so far. I would say do a disclosure hearing and request all their financials - bank statements, tax returns, debts, and business P&L statements. Then the court can set a payment plan or a deadline for full payment, again enforceable by a contempt action.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Construction Law for Maine on
Q: What do we do when we have a breach of contract and the contractor is refusing to refund us our money?
Elliott R. Teel Esq
Elliott R. Teel Esq
answered on May 16, 2017

The answer may depend on if the contract says anything about how disputes are handled (there may be a mediation or arbitration clause). If it does not say anything, then depending on the amount that is in dispute, you can to either go to small claims court or to the district court to pursue them.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Maine on
Q: What should I do: Plaintiff fails to respond to interrogatories, doc request, & request for admissions within 30 days

I am being sued for default on a private loan that I was duped into. I wasn't informed the loan was approved nor did I accept it. The funds were disbursed to a 3rd party without my knowledge and I only learned of the situation after the fact.

I answered plaintiff's... Read more »

Glenn B. Manishin
Glenn B. Manishin
answered on Mar 29, 2017

The case will not be dismissed for failure to meet discovery deadlines alone.

Move to compel responses to the Ints. and Doc. Reqs. and to "deem" the unanswered Requests for Admission as admitted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.