Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Mexico Child Custody Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Mexico on
Q: My ex is tryin to take my kids. He ain't on birth certificates what could happen if he does try to take them

I have a three year old and a four month old me and my ex were together for six years but never married most of the relationship he was getting high now he is threatening to take my kids what could happen if he does try

Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman answered on Feb 25, 2017

The court could issue a wide range of orders that determine custody. You should consult with a family lawyer in your area. Here is a list:

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for New Mexico on
Q: I have switched school districts and am refusing to abide by child custody agreement

I have taken this avenue to protect my two minor daughters from my ex wife's convicted child molester boyfriend whom I recently found out has been touching my girls. What legal rights do I have for my actions and what do I need to do from here.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 8, 2017

You need to go for a modification of your custody agreement and if there are to be visits they should be supervised. But you get a court order immediately, not later. Courts don't like people taking the law into their hands.Also, not clear why you had to switch school districts.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Mexico on
Q: Constitutionally under the 14th ammendment can the courts take my kids away from me
Marshall Jason Ray
Marshall Jason Ray answered on Jun 29, 2016

The general short answer is yes, Courts may, under certain circumstances, order the removal of children and the termination of parental rights. To determine whether your rights were violated or whether you have any options to challenge the court action in your specific situation, you would need to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for New Mexico on
Q: I am looking to gain custody of my younger brother from an abusive father and a neglective mother who are divorcing

My father has a history of physical, mental and emotional abuse with myself and currently has a restraining order on him from my mother, who filed one for domestic abuse. My mother is neglectful in multiple ways, she knew about my father abusing me and she will often leave my brother and I at home... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Jul 25, 2013

The best thing for you to do is have a consultation with a family attorney in your area.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for New Mexico on
Q: Can I request a different Judge in my custody case if feel that he is not being fair and impartial?
Mr. David Thomas Pisarra
Mr. David Thomas Pisarra answered on Jan 18, 2011

Parties to a case have a right to a fair and impartial judge - if you have reason to believe this judge wont be fair you have a right to request a change. However, usually it must be done within a very short time frame FROM THE BEGINNING of the case. In most cases it is under a month to... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.