Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New York Personal Injury Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on
Q: I cant find a lawyer here, so can a paralegal help me with my current pro se case ?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 7, 2019

They can assist. But the scope of things that a paralegal can do is more limited in nature. A fundamental difference (and you can go online and research the full range of distinctions between the two professions) is that a paralegal cannot generally represent a client in court. This is not a... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Divorce, Personal Injury and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: i was married on 4-25-2014 and my wife is and correction officer who had her job or her job had her put me in dummy

book against my will they came into my house on 11/19/2014 pull a gun out on me because i was video taping him asking him what reason did he just enter into my home he states i was call long story short they took me out my home and tried to kill me in a public hospital with hand cuffs on behind my... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 7, 2019

Firtst, you wrote in a run on sentence so it is not clear what you wrote

I have no idea what a dummy book is

Second, stop making public statements

Third, if you want a lawyer, then call one.

Do not expect lawyers to respond to your public announcement

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on
Q: Statute of limitations on getting hit by drunk driver.

I was hit by a drunk driver 2/2017. I have been having neck issues. Is it too late to sue ? Accident happened in NJ, I live in NY

Ken Shigley
Ken Shigley answered on Sep 26, 2019

In general, in a personal injury suit in New York, the statute of limitation is three years. N.Y. C.P.L.R. § 214(5)

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Personal Injury for New York on
Q: New York - My wife is 9 weeks pregnant. She was at work and witnessed her boss and an employee arguing. The employee

knocked over a flower vase full of water. She was then asked by the employee to take the two other vases to the basement. She slipped in the water which wasn't visible and walked towards the stairs. the stairs are concrete and glazed. she was holding two vases and proceeded to the stairs where... Read more »

V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba answered on Sep 12, 2019

Contact workers compensation lawyers. Books or no books she was injured on the job. She has the right to recover work comp benefits.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for New York on
Q: i was assaulted by a famous photographer, and want to share my story online. i have no solid evidence. can i be sued?

i have no photo evidence and no police or medical report. the photographer claims nothing happened.

Michael Bersani
Michael Bersani answered on Aug 28, 2019

Yes, you can be sued. Defamation.

3 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for New York on
Q: wrongful death auto car accident lawsuit

- Mr.A got into an auto car accident and a pedestrian got killed unfortunately

- lawsuit of wrongful death lawsuit is brought against Mr.A.

- if the case is settled for X amount and still the balance is remained after insurance payment, can they come after Mr.A's business for... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 20, 2019

Not clear what you are asking ---if you mean after the car insurance pays, they will likely also look for coverage from the business insurance. The attorney's main interest is in insurance--for the most part, they aren't interested in someone's business except to the extent that... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on
Q: If a security from my building hit me , Can I sue
Michael H. Joseph
Michael H. Joseph answered on Aug 11, 2019

Yes. Any unauthorized physical contact is a battery

View More Answers

4 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on
Q: Hello, I cannot afford a lawyer, but I need one for a slip and fall case. Bayside, NY 11360
Anthony A. Ferrante
Anthony A. Ferrante answered on Aug 8, 2019

Good afternoon -

Personal injury attorneys work on a contingent fee basis, which means that they do not get paid a fee unless they help you obtain a successfully money recovery.

This site has helpful information with these types of claims:

Good luck!

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on
Q: : hit the button to stop my SUV liftgate (hatch). But it closed and smushed me. I have injuries, concussion, neck & back

The gate was closing and the button didn’t work and kept closing me in on it. Manual states that if I hit button it will stop. It further states that if it detects something it will stop. It did not stop and my head was smushed between gate and taillight - I have a small cut on my head from it

Michael Bersani
Michael Bersani answered on Aug 5, 2019

Product liability cases are extremely expensive. Your lawyer (if you find one willing to take your case) will have to hire an expensive engineer to study the cause of the failure. Your injury is not worth the cost. Generally, products liability cases have to be significant, serious injuries, to be... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on
Q: can the plaintiff in NYS toxic tort case contact the medical examiner that their lawyer uses ?

my toxic tort lawyer NYS has done basically nothing - didnt even have the professional mold assesment done in my home that she promised 10 times to do albeit i am still living with high levels of toxic mold and my health is deteriorating. I happened upon the same medical examiner that she uses on... Read more »

Michael Bersani
Michael Bersani answered on Jun 9, 2019

Sure, but you are to ask your lawyer first. There should be no reason for you to contact him directly. You should work through your lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Traffic Tickets and Gov & Administrative Law for New York on
Q: Having issue with speeding in my neighborhood. No sidewalks. Kids ride bikes in road and local residents speed past kid.

Wondering of rights as resident. Called town and being told keep kids out of road. Not addressing the law breaking of residents. Put slow down structure at foot of driveway. What else can I do to stop a child from being killed. What are the children's rights.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 23, 2019

Petition the local city council or whatever form of government you have for placement of a speed limit sign etc. However kids should not be riding bikes on roadways unless they are fully competent, have helmets on etc. We lived on a road like that and that's one of the reasons we moved--no... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Personal Injury for New York on
Q: I need to know how to fight my landlord. for personal injury and bad living condition

she has yet to fix my staircase which I fell down and have paperwork showing it caused a concussion and shoulder injury. I now deal with a traumatic brain injury which built up to much fluid and I'm on medication for the migraines. I also have a leak in my roof that is causing the ceiling to... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 23, 2019

Contact a member of the NYState Trial Lawyers Assn --they give free consults.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Real Estate Law, Family Law and Personal Injury for New York on
Q: This Stranger took us to court for possession of our house and lost. Judgement was decided against her.

8 months later because she saw boards on our house she stole all the contents, ID's then changed deed to her name. Stranger not heir.

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on May 20, 2019

This appears to have civil and criminal components. Call the police to report what happened. Then you can consider suing the person for damages. A deed change requires a Supreme Court lawsuit.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation and Employment Discrimination for New York on
Q: Can I sue my place of employment for pain and suffering due to a fall while I was pregnant

The fall at Northwell Health Lij resulted in a life threatening situation for my daughter and I , and I underwent 2 back surgeries. I had to leave my home and move in with my parents for financial and medical reasons. It led me to file section 32 which required me to resign, however the resignation... Read more »

V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba answered on May 16, 2019

Consult with personal injury lawyers. Maybe a third party lawsuit? Constructive discharge is very difficult to prove. You were either able to perform your job duties with accommodation or were not. Did you request any type of reasonable accommodation and if it was reasonable and not an undue... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Identity Theft, Personal Injury and Real Estate Law for New York on
Q: We won judgement that it is not plaintiffs house. Fatally defective paperwork and no monetary exchange.

Plaintiff put her name on our house eight months later after stealing all of our worldly possessions.Recently put a fence up that i can't enter my own property. Notary public papers i was not privy to seeing. Removed by police i was!!!!!

Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay answered on May 11, 2019

There appears to be a lot more to your story than you have been able to post here. It would probably be necessary to sit down with an attorney and take the time to fully explain your situation to receive meaningful advice.

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on
Q: Is it usual for a slip and fall case to go on for 4yrs?
Jeena R. Belil
Jeena R. Belil answered on May 10, 2019

Yes, it can. The facts and circumstances of every case are different and courts are packed with cases just like yours. As long as you and your lawyer are communicating and you are being advised what step your case is in, and your case is progressing, no matter how slowly, it’s pretty normal.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Personal Injury and Health Care Law for New York on
Q: I was forced to take a drug that make me a less of a man. I need a law to bring all this people to justice 6464892008

Above is my phone number for more info

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 26, 2019

you should ask the site to take your phone number down.

Contact a member of the NYState Assn for Justice--they give free consults. Look for one in the county where this happened.

However if you mean impotence, it is very, very difficult to prove it came from the drug and not from...
Read more »

5 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for New York on
Q: My daughter was hit by A car while crossing the street she had the light was in the crosswalk he was turning

Driver was issued a summons for failing to yield my daughter was taken to the hospital with a broken scapula. Other injuries as well can we sue?

Michael H. Joseph
Michael H. Joseph answered on Mar 26, 2019

Yes, but the first step is you need to file a no fault application with the insurance company for the car that hit your duaghter within 30 days of the accident. They are responsible for paying for her hospital and medical bills. You can find out the insurance company from the code on the police... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.