Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Wisconsin Traffic Tickets Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: How do I fight a citation?

I was recently involved in a vehicle accident, and I would like to fight the citation for failure to yield when there's no yield sign one and two I was already in the middle of my turn when the vehicle came flying down the road.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 21, 2021

A Wisconsin attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. By now, you may have already involved a traffic ticket attorney to challenge the citation. As a general matter nationwide, there are settings where a yield sign is not necessarily required for such a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Wisconsin on
Q: I was cited for doing 26mph over the 55mph speed limit in Wisconsin on the highway and for also not having a license.

What should I do and Is there anyway of getting my points reduced and license unsuspended?

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Jun 25, 2021

You should do an attorney search for Wisconsin traffic ticket lawyers, contact a few of them and discuss your case specifically and obtain your options, and then hire the traffic ticket lawyer with whom you are most comfortable.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Appeals / Appellate Law and Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: How can I know how many total tickets are actively on my record and do tickets out of state count against my license?

I have PTSD from a car accident I was in and after that I have struggled with anxiety while driving or being in a car and with speeding resulting in many tickets and having to take a non optional driving course. Why was this course non optional to me...was it because of so many tickets within a set... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 5, 2020

First, if it was PTS, suggest you look at getting EMDR therapy---

Google "psychology today, therapist EMDR ____________________" (insert name of nearest large town)

Second, if the crash wasn't your fault, you may have an injury claim.

Even if it was your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: Getting a license reinstated in another state

so I got my license revoked in Wisconsin because of a dui 2 years ago, I'm eligible for reinstatement starting tomorrow. I'm also moving to Illinois in 4 days, do I still have to pay reinstatement in Wisconsin, or can I just get my license in Illinois?

Michael Hayes
Michael Hayes answered on Apr 13, 2020

Section 343.38(1) of the Wisconsin Statutes requires you to comply with the reinstatement requirements, including paying a $200 reinstatement fee. The court ordered that the DMV revoke your operating privilege for 2 years, but this does not mean your privilege to drive is automatically reinstated.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Traffic Tickets for Wisconsin on
Q: Can the state of Wisconsin Dept of Rev collect on a 8 year old traffic violation? I just received notice.

I was an out of state commercial driver.

Michael Hayes
Michael Hayes answered on Mar 24, 2020

Yes. In Wisconsin a judge can order indefinite income tax refund intercept if the ticket is not paid by the deadline set in court, usually within 60 days of judgment.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for Wisconsin on
Q: Am I entitled to review a police report prior to my court appearance? How do I obtain it?
Mark Ryan Thiessen
Mark Ryan Thiessen answered on Jan 6, 2020

They usually won't give it to the client. And there is no way for them to find you and get it to you before your court appearance. The State will give it to your lawyer and he can let you read it.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Wisconsin on
Q: I got a speeding ticket 2 years ago. Can the courthouse/city hall look up what vehicle i got pull over in? Fine is paid.
John Thomas Powers
John Thomas Powers answered on Jul 2, 2019

Yes. The clerk of the court will have the file and the contents of the can reveal details such as what vehicle was driven and when.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Personal Injury, Traffic Tickets and Civil Litigation for Wisconsin on
Q: seeking counsel prior to fighting tickets and also pressing charges on a civilian for damages

there are so many different areas involved i dont know what to do. someone used me not too long ago and i got myself into a situation with traffic tickets and child restraint.... its gone into harasment, threats (veiled and transphopic). this person used my mental health shortcomings against me and... Read more »

Emmanuel Muwonge
Emmanuel Muwonge answered on Mar 16, 2018

I am sorry that you are going through what appears to be a very challenging period in your life. That said, I am also sorry that I cannot figure out what it is you really are trying to communicate and what the best approach would be in providing you with the counsel you need. That notwithstanding,... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Wisconsin on
Q: I received 3 citations the DA offered me to take the failure to report an accident or failure to keep vehicle under

Control and hit and run of property adjacent to a highway or vice versa whats better

Emmanuel Muwonge
Emmanuel Muwonge answered on Feb 1, 2018

Without additional facts and circumstances which led or may have led to the accident in question, I am inclined to believe that you are better off taking the "failure to report an accident". The Failure To Report an Accident does not directly involve your operation of your vehicle as it... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Wisconsin on
Q: Just got charged with a 4th owi blew a .055 with a .02 restriction is there a way out. Also is my license valid ?
Stephen Pleck Johnson
Stephen Pleck Johnson answered on Sep 7, 2017

License will probably be revoked by the DMV in 30 days from test notice of over .02 by police if you don't ask for an administrative hearing within 10 or 13 days depending. Was the stop/arrest valid? Was the test accurate? a skilled attorney on these questions can help.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, Appeals / Appellate Law and Municipal Law for Wisconsin on
Q: I have 2 driving without insurance tickets is there anyway I can get them off my record?

One in 2015 and the other in 2016. I would like them off my record due to the fact they are the only thing stopping me from ubering

Stephen Pleck Johnson
Stephen Pleck Johnson answered on Aug 27, 2017

The following cases remain on CCAP for 5 Years. Traffic Forfeiture Cases (TR)

Non-Traffic Ordinance Violation Cases (FO). Motor vehicle records are a little different and the answere is more complex.. Depends on where Uber is looking. Ask Uber what you can do to assure them that you are...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: I have bench warrant in 2 counties for missed traffic court dates. Is it possible to resolve this without jail time

The warrants are in Racine and Milwaukee. I was going to go to intake court in Milwaukee and they informed that they would hold me for the warrant in Racine and if I tried to go in for the one in Racine first that they would hold me for the one In Milwaukee. I'm trying to avoid being processed... Read more »

William C. Head
William C. Head answered on Aug 10, 2017

IT sounds unlikely that you will walk away from two separate bench warrants without visiting a jail.

Call a GREAT traffic offense lawyer, in WI, for a FREE consultation. Here is one, that I can recommend:

Ms. Tracey Wood, 608-284-1200

Tell her William Head from Atlanta referred you.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: Is there any liability to a township for not removing snow off of a roadway after four hours?

I was in a car accident with a bus on an unplowed roadway and I was given a ticket for driving too fast for conditions. I was going well under the limit, but was unable to stop safely because of the poor road conditions.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 24, 2017

The law would tend to say you should have anticipated and 1)driven even slower 2) not driven. You should fight the ticket, because you will argue that you were driving way slowly and at that particular location not slowly enough.

Second reason is that a government is given reasonable time...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.