Questions Answered by Peter Briskin

Q: My daughter was hit by A car while crossing the street she had the light was in the crosswalk he was turning

5 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for New York on
Answered on Mar 26, 2019
Peter Briskin's answer
Absolutely, you can sue. Whether or not you will prevail depends on a number of factors. It is important that you do not discuss the claim with any insurance companies. You should speak to a personal injury attorney first who will take care of all your concerns so that you may focus on your child's recovery. ! I can be reached any time to discuss your daughter's accident and most importantly I wish her a speedy recovery!

Q: Who will be sued in case of slip/fall, owner of property or tenant who should remove snow as required by lease contract?

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on
Answered on Feb 21, 2019
Peter Briskin's answer
It depends on type of property, exactly where the person fell and what caused specifically what caused the fall.

Q: I was watching a friends dog and took them outside some kids started yelling and he got scared broke free and bit one

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for New Jersey on
Answered on Feb 18, 2019
Peter Briskin's answer
Most likely given the basic facts you provided you will not be facing jail time. If there is any concern for exposure it may be in the context of a civil lawsuit, but even then the likelihood of success on the part of a plaintiff would depend on additional facts you have not presented.

Q: I was intoxicated while I was assaulted, drove away to flee danger, can i press charges? Friend attempted to kill me.

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Health Care Law and Intellectual Property for New Jersey on
Answered on Jan 5, 2019
Peter Briskin's answer
You can go to your local police department and report the crime.

Q: Does the 21 days stated in 5003-a include holidays or no?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on
Answered on Jan 3, 2019
Peter Briskin's answer
Could be any or all of the above. Best thing for you to do is to call your attorney and inquire.

Q: Are homeowners required to maintain the sidewalk in front of their house or is that the city's job (for the purposes of

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for New Jersey on
Answered on Nov 12, 2018
Peter Briskin's answer
This is a fact sensitive question. Depends on whether property is residential or commercial. If residential is it owner occupied or rented? Further, a homeowner may be held liable for dangerous conditions of abutting sidewalk if homeowner created the condition. Best thing to do is call an attorney that handles these cases and send picture of the condition and provide the address so that a preliminary investigation may be conducted.

Q: What if the dog bites a hired pet sitter in the sitter’s own home while the dog owner is away?

2 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Personal Injury for New Jersey on
Answered on Oct 25, 2018
Peter Briskin's answer
NJ dog bite law is strict liability. You can call my office tomorrow morning for free consultation... I would need to know more information concerning the incident.

Q: If a loan was written off of the company that it was taken from 2 years ago do a collection agency have the right to

2 Answers | Asked in Collections for New Jersey on
Answered on Sep 25, 2018
Peter Briskin's answer
The fact that a creditor has written a debt off their books does not in and of itself bar them from collecting on the debt.

Q: Can I pursue a case with the Supreme court on a dental organization that refused to complete work on me?

1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for New York on
Answered on Sep 1, 2018
Peter Briskin's answer
Any malpractice claim needs to be fully investigated before filing in court. The question becomes “was there anything the doctor did or didn't do that departed from the standard of care". If an individual files suit "pro se" there is no requirement to satisfy the certificate of merit statute. If an attorney files a malpractice suit the certificate of merit becomes a requirement.

NY Medical malpractice claims must be filed within 2 ½ years from the date of the alleged negligent...

Q: Assaulted in a Jersey City, NJ McDonalds while workers did nothing. Another patron called police

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for New Jersey on
Answered on Aug 21, 2018
Peter Briskin's answer
You may have a viable claim for negligent security against McDonalds however i need to know some more information. Feel free to call any time.

Q: If u slip and fall in Pennsylvania can you get a nj lawyer if you live in nj

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for New Jersey on
Answered on Aug 20, 2018
Peter Briskin's answer
In the event your claim can not be resolved without the need for litigation your lawyer will have to be licensed by the Pennsylvania State Bar Examiners.

Q: Pool accident -- is the law that every pool needs a fence around it?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on
Answered on Aug 10, 2018
Peter Briskin's answer
What type of pool is it? Where is the Pool located? Is it a public or a private pool? It would also be useful to look at local regulations concerning pool barrier requirements.

Q: How long ussually a case take after fillings

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Animal / Dog Law and Civil Rights for New York on
Answered on Aug 10, 2018
Peter Briskin's answer
This is a very difficult question to answer. Duration of the litigation process varies from case to case. It depends on a number of factors including how many parties are involved in the lawsuit, the complexity of the issues involved, The cooperation of counsel for the parties as well as the county the case is venued in, among other things. In certain situations there may be a preference that is applicable depending on the plaintiff which would accelerate the time for trial once discovery...

Q: What type of lawyer is needed?

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Gov & Administrative Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Jun 23, 2018
Peter Briskin's answer
Personal injury lawyer. It’s important to photograph the location immediately, and get any witnesses contact information. I can be reached anytime at 908-279-7979 and I would be more than happy to meet with you over this weekend .

Q: I feel my attorney is negligent in his representation of my case. Can I change attorneys?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on
Answered on Jun 8, 2018
Peter Briskin's answer
There are a number of questions I have concerning your accident. I can assist you if you give me a call at (212) 608-7778. Peter Briskin

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.