Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Greg Mansell
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Texas on
Q: fired because a customer says they did not sign the work order when they actually did
Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Dec 12, 2019

This is not "fair" but it does not violate the law unless it is a pretext (cover up) for unlawful discrimination or retaliation. Additional options may apply if you are covered by a Collective Bargaining Agreement.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Mississippi on
Q: Is it okay to be intimidated at the workplace

The practice owner goes back and forth if he likes me or not. Recently, he got rid of his old crew and I’m the last. Now, he is going over my boss’s authority trying to get me fired but they have no reason so they can’t. I’ve recently had to be put on nerve medicine due to the treatment. Is... Read more »

Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Dec 12, 2019

It is not "okay" to use intimidation tactics but it may not be unlawful. If the treatment is based on your belonging to a protected class (eg. age, race, gender, religion, disability, national origin, etc.) then it become discrimination under Title VII and make potentially be a hostile work... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Insurance Defense for Ohio on
Q: On pay stub it ha F-LCBF mean
Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Nov 18, 2019

It sounds like something your employer put in manually. It is not a standard abbreviation used on paystubs. I would ask you HR department.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can my former employer withhold wages for not returning my employee handbook?

My former employer is withholding my wages for not returning my employee handbook. I’ve read the handbook front to back numerous times, it doesn’t state anything about being penalized for not returning it. I’ve also never signed anything or been verbally told otherwise on the matter

Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Nov 6, 2019

This could violate the Fair Labor Standards Act if the deduction of wages results in you making less than minimum wage for all hours worked.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Civil Rights for Alaska on
Q: Can a company use screenshots taken from a private message on social media to discipline an employee?

A coworker’s social media account was accessed by another employee on a work computer. Screenshots were taken by employee who was not intended recipient. They are being used against me in a disciplinary meeting. Neither of the intended parties gave permission for screenshots to be taken of... Read more »

Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Nov 6, 2019

If you work for a private employer, yes. Your employer can take action. The employee who intercepted them, however, may have violated laws in how they were obtained.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for New York on
Q: I think I am being taken advantage of at work. Do I have a case? More info below.

Is it legal for an employer to:

1) agree on a raise & change of employment status but put it off for months?

2) misclassify an employee that works full time for all 12 months of the year as a seasonal employee?

3) deny PTO & sick time accrual due to misclassification as... Read more »

Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Nov 6, 2019

1) Yes. The relationship is at will so, in theory, you could quit at any point for the employer not doing what was promised.

2 and 3) More information is needed on what you were doing in the position. If you are full time, you should be entitled to the same benefits as other full time...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Wisconsin on
Q: I work in a dental lab,never signed a no compete,was fired for trying to do work on the side. Any legal recourse?

I approached my employer about picking up my own accounts and doing my own crowns. All I needed from him was to mill them. Everything else would have been done out of my house and would not have burdened him in any way. I offered him reimbursement for the milling. He said he did not like the idea... Read more »

Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Nov 6, 2019

No legal recourse for you against your employer. If your employer does this work and you are competing while an employee, there may be legal recourse that your employer can take but that would depend on Wisconsin laws.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Virginia on
Q: Our company just changed payroll companies. They just started rounding our start time to 5am even if we are there.

we get paid every 2 weeks

at the end of the 2 weeks I was shorted an hour due to this.

They paid me later for the time but then started rounding it up again even though the clock in time sheet that we can print shows the real time we clocked in we are not getting paid until 5am... Read more »

Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Nov 6, 2019

A rounding practice that, over a period of time, results in a failure to compensate employees for all hours works violates the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). This is federal law that is pursued in federal court and can be pursued by a law firm from out of state.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Employment Law for Ohio on
Q: Is it legal for a employer to not give me and my 2 friends our checks after they fired us and are pressing charges on us
Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Nov 6, 2019

It is not legal for your employer to withhold pay for more than 30 days. They are required to pay you minimum wages for ALL hours worked.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Employment Discrimination and Sexual Harassment for Ohio on
Q: I was placed on administrative leave because I asked for legal representation when talking to HR
Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Nov 6, 2019

You have a right to legal representation but not necessarily during your meetings with your company. Further analysis and information is needed to determine if this is violates public policy law.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Health Care Law for Arkansas on
Q: Im a school nurse being wrongfully accused & terminated. Would be better to get employment or nursing/health lawyer?

I am being wrongfully accused of something with little to no investigation into the event, the school is just believing what a parent is claiming and going off of that w/o my side of it. They consulted w/ their lawyer who determined that I was a liability so they are recommending termination.... Read more »

Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Nov 6, 2019

It would be best to get an employment lawyer that has experience in administrative hearings, board appeals, and hearings before the nurses' board.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.