Questions Answered by Gary Kollin

Q: My son was questioned by the Sheriff's Dept. in Port Huron regarding allegations made of sexual abuse by his daughters.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Michigan on
Answered on May 18, 2019
Gary Kollin's answer
He cannot afford not to retain counsel which should have been done yesterday

Q: How much time would he get or would he get no time and if he dose get time will he get a bond

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Kentucky on
Answered on May 17, 2019
Gary Kollin's answer
Perhaps if you wrote in single sentences starting with a capital letter and ending with a period instead of a run-on sentence, you inquiry could be accurately understood.

You also do not state what crime he is accused of.

Q: i recently got charged with a petty theft, I stole from the Goodwill in the amount of 57.99.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Florida on
Answered on May 17, 2019
Gary Kollin's answer
Retain an attorney. The Goodwill settlement has nothing to do with the criminal case

Q: when you get arrested in the State of Florida and you are supposed to see the judge in 48 hours what happens if u don'?

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Florida on
Answered on May 14, 2019
Gary Kollin's answer
It could possibly be a violation of your rights. However, if you took a plea to time served, then it would most likely be no harm, no foul.

Q: I am making a presentation on Ford V. Wainwright for school, can I get some assistance?

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Minnesota on
Answered on May 10, 2019
Gary Kollin's answer
This sounds like a violation of the honor code by asking someone to do tge work for you.

The person you should consult is your teacher

Q: My 12 year old son may be charged with assault for a school fight. At what point should I hire an attorney?

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Utah on
Answered on May 9, 2019
Gary Kollin's answer

Waiting to hire a lawyer until the charge is like waiting to have the cavity filled until you need a root canal.

If you were being investigated you would want an attorney now.

He needs to have his rights protected. He needs to know to stop talking and invoke his right to counsel and remain silent.

You need to understand all aspects.

Q: If someone has an open/inactive warrant in Maryland, if that person got arrested in Florida , will he be extradited?

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Florida on
Answered on May 7, 2019
Gary Kollin's answer
I do not understand what is meant by open and,inactive

Q: Do I need to get a different attorney? If so how since my next court date is May 28th? Thanks

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for California on
Answered on May 7, 2019
Gary Kollin's answer
You should follow your attorney’s advice

Q: Is it a conflict of interest if your public defender is married to the assistant State Attorney

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Florida on
Answered on May 6, 2019
Gary Kollin's answer
To THE assistant or an assistant. If not the one on the case, then no conflict

Q: If you have a warrent do you still have to be read your rights when getting arrested??

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Georgia on
Answered on May 6, 2019
Gary Kollin's answer
You don't have to be read Miranda unless they question you.

However, if they don't read you Miranda and you make voluntary statements, they can be used against you.

Q: suppression hearings

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for New Jersey on
Answered on May 5, 2019
Gary Kollin's answer
And you have a paid attorney. So ask your paid attorney whether he can do it

Q: I am defending myself and I want to make sure I approach this correctly.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Florida on
Answered on Apr 30, 2019
Gary Kollin's answer
I recently represented a person who was criminally cited for using a tag not assigned to a vehicle when it was a dealer tag in a false arrest and section 1983 lawsuit.

There is a notification memorandum issued to all law enforcement agencies in Florida from the Dept. of Highway Safety stating police officers throughout Florida do not understand thst dealer tags are not assigned to any specific vehicle.

It appears that you feel that it is burden for you to prove your innocence....

Q: close friend who is suing for a death of a child and now is begin harresed by the local police and she cant get any help

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Missouri on
Answered on Apr 27, 2019
Gary Kollin's answer
If she is suing, she has a lawyer. Dhe shoukd discuss this with her lawyer

Q: Is it legal in Arizona for Walmart and other stores to require you to show your receipt and check your bags

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Business Law for California on
Answered on Apr 25, 2019
Gary Kollin's answer
Here is an article, a little dated, discussing the matter. There are many videos on youtube regarding it.

Hope this helps. Next time you should turn on your video

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.