Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Pawnee A. Davis

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Maryland on

Q: Do I have a case, pharmacy gave me wrong medicine, I took one, threw up, still feeling sick though.

My pharmacy gave me someone's else medication, I didn't realize until I took one and immediately threw it up, but I haven't been feeling well since, I'm thinking about going to see my doctor on Monday, I took the medicine back and the pharmacist documented the mistake.

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Jul 4, 2019

Please obtain a copy of the document for your own records. Also, you need to obtain the pharmacist ‘s contact information because you may need him to testify about the mistake.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Child Custody, Child Support and Domestic Violence for Maryland on

Q: What proper/careful steps do I take to make sure an abusive parent/estranged husband is not given custody or visitation?

My children’s father/estranged husband abused me for 18 yrs. My bones have been broken, & I’ve been covered in lumps & bruises. His violent alcoholic abuse turned into countless death threats & he started threatening & physically abusing the boys & my disabled Mother. Which he admit to in... Read more »

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Jul 4, 2019

Your situation needs a lawyer to ask you questions and get more information in order to advise you. So, please contact an attorney experienced in divorce and domestic violence.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce on

Q: spouse on conditional visa in usa sent back due to conflict with uscitizen wife if no contact for six month it's divor

Is it auto divorce if only message communication between them. If no contact between spouce for six month. Us citizen live in Nevada

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Jul 4, 2019

There is no automatic divorce even if you haven seen or spoken to o your spouse in 6 months. You will need to file for a divorce. I suggest that you make an appointment with a lawyer to discuss what to do.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Maryland on

Q: Hello, I am married for 6 years and getting divorced. What are my rights?

Hello, I am married for 6 years and am not able to go my house because my husband's sister is living there. Since our first year of marriage every visit she tries to break us up. She is here on a tourist visa. Right now I am not working, will I be able to get alimony? Also, is what my sister in law... Read more »

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Dec 7, 2018

I am not able to give you an answer without more information. There are questions and follow up questions that need to be asked about your situation for me to give you an answer. You may call to schedule a consultation or any divorce lawyer in Maryland of your choosing.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Maryland on

Q: Is there a conflict of interest in a case in which a pro se learns the other side's attorney is a judge on the same

court as the presiding judge? No mention was made before/during the trial.

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Sep 7, 2018

When I evaluate what you said, the question hints at potential bias because the presiding judge and the opposing counsel (also a judge) are friends or know each other. If there is bias present in the judge’s decision making there could be a conflict of interest in which the judge ‘s decisions... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Maryland on

Q: I have printed out the forms needed to file a divorce, would someone be able to review them with me?

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Aug 19, 2018

Certainly. I invite you to look at my profile for my contact information.

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Maryland on

Q: What if both of you did something wrong in an accident - who is at fault?

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Aug 12, 2018

Maryland (as well as the other two neighboring jurisdictions, D.C. and Virginia), is a contributory negligence state, which means that if an individual is even one percent at fault for an accident, then he or she is ineligible to recover any damages from an injury claim or civil case.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Maryland on

Q: I have been married for only 2 months. Seeking divorce. There are no children, no assets, property, nothing. l

Mutual consent to divorce, do we have to wait a year still?

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Jul 30, 2018

You are correct that you can fie for a mutual consent divorce. This does not require a separation period. However, you must have a prepared separation agreement and there are a few other requirements that must be met that are in the Maryland Code. To get some help targeted to you particular... Read more »

4 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Maryland on

Q: I was hit while riding my bicycle and I hardly remember it. How can I sue the driver if my memory is so blurry?

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Jun 2, 2018

More information is need d to answer your question. However, some things that may help your case.

You went the ER or another doctor for treatment.

How injured are you?

Were there any witnesses that you have or can get contact information for?

Did you speak to anyone...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Maryland on

Q: I was separated in Oct 7, 2017, I filed for my divorce on Feb 28, and got case # then I filed the final decree.

the court said I filed to early, before six months. my Question do I have to start all over again or can I just file final decree in Virginia

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Apr 24, 2018

This question can not be answered without more information. I suggest you call a lawyer and ask for a consultation.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Maryland on

Q: im in md single home, is it legal for anyone to elec. spy on me in my bedroom or bath? thank you

im in md

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Apr 18, 2018

Spying with an electronic device where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy and without your consent is illegal. It violates the Electronic Communications Privacy Act--a federal law. It is also illegal under Maryland law. Specifically, Maryland Courts and Judicial Proceedings Section... Read more »

4 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Maryland on

Q: Can I sue a cyclist who hit me on a sidewalk? There were no marked bike lanes.

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Mar 31, 2018

There are several questions I would ask you before I could tell you that if you have a case where you may want to sue the bicyclist.

Were you injured?

Do you have medical bills? What is thI total amount of charges?

Do you have the bicyclists contact information?...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Maryland on

Q: What happens if the husband filed but never served the wife with the writ of summons? Can she file herself now?

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Mar 8, 2018

The case might have been dismissed if the husband never served the wife or did not serve the wife properly. The wife can file for divorce if the case was dismissed. If the husband's case was not dismissed and is still active then the court might reject the wife's filing.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Maryland on

Q: My divorce papers have the wrong last name. Refers to me as the name i had before we married am I divorced

My name on the marriage license is Frazier however I married an Ubiera and changed my name accordingly after getting married. We got divorced and the papers refer to me as Frazier but my last name is Ubiera. All my identification etc is Ubiera. Am I still divorced or no.

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Mar 8, 2018

To answer your question, yes. You are divorced because you were granted a divorce and received a divorce decree. If you want to amend your divorce decree to include the correct last name you can do that. Just file a motion (request) with the court that issued your divorce decree.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Maryland on

Q: Does the "waiting period" for my absolute divorce start after I filed the paperwork or after he is served?

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Feb 23, 2018

If you do not have children together there is no waiting period. If you do have children together then you may separate at any time, but cannot be granted a divorce until the one year period has passed.

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Maryland on

Q: My Ex wife is contesting the limited Divorce. What can I do to fight it? She's only doing it out of spite.

I have text from her saying she won't make this easy

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Feb 6, 2018

As much as you may want to settle your divorce by mutual agreement, there is nothing you can do to force your spouse to agree to the terms that you want her to. Unless both parties agree to all the divorce terms, you must have a contested divorce and it will be litigated in court.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Mergers & Acquisitions for District of Columbia on

Q: Should we merge our companies or just change the name?

We have two different companies that basically do the same business. 1 partner is the sole owner of Company A and a 30% owner in company B. He wants to merge Company A into B and do business under Company B. The reason is because Company B is a construction company and we want to use the... Read more »

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Jan 30, 2018

Changing the name would have no effect. So, I would advise you make the businesses one business. You have not said what type of business Company A is. But should they have the same or similar purposes it should be fine. However, I do urge you to consult with an attorney so that he or she can get... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on

Q: Do I have to pay Maryland annual back fees for an entity that has never conducted any business?

I registered a business in 2014 in Maryland through a registered agent but soon changed my mind before any business was conducted.

I never paid annual fees and Maryland has finally forfeited the entity. Now Maryland fees are piling up annually and Maryland tells

me that in order to... Read more »

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Jan 24, 2018

I sympathize with you.

When you set up a business you do need to follow the state law requirements and pay all your dues. You should have dissolved the business if you weren’t making any money at all for the first year. That doesn’t mean not making a profit. It means literally not...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Maryland on

Q: Do I have to sign a property settlement agreement prior to divorce if I do not agree with the terms and have no lawyer?

My husband and I were going to divorce on our own once he refinanced and took me off the deed and loan. Then His father died recently, he hired a lawyer immediately after on someone’s advice. He stands to inherient a lot but it’s in a estate. The agreement from his lawyer seems fishy and... Read more »

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Jan 18, 2018

Ma’am, you certainly should be concerned that this is a one-sided settlement agreement. You need someone to represent your interests and to make sure that you don’t lose out on anything you may be entitled to. I don’t know everything at stake without getting into the details with you, but you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Maryland on

Q: Husband wants a divorce and has not filed yet. I just found out that he has been cheating for the past 4 years. Options?

He moved out April 2017 but we are not legally separated. He is paying for some of the bills on the house. I am paying the others. He is not having a relationship with our 17 year old daughter.

Pawnee A. Davis answered on Jan 1, 2018

Depending on when your daughter reaches age 18 or is emancipated, she might not be an issue for the divorce suit in terms of custody and child support. If she is then that will be another issue to sort out for you two.

Your options are to file for a divorce based on separation or based on...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.