Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Pawnee A. Davis
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Maryland on
Q: Husband wants a divorce and has not filed yet. I just found out that he has been cheating for the past 4 years. Options?

He moved out April 2017 but we are not legally separated. He is paying for some of the bills on the house. I am paying the others. He is not having a relationship with our 17 year old daughter.

Pawnee A. Davis
Pawnee A. Davis answered on Jan 1, 2018

Depending on when your daughter reaches age 18 or is emancipated, she might not be an issue for the divorce suit in terms of custody and child support. If she is then that will be another issue to sort out for you two.

Your options are to file for a divorce based on separation or based on...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Maryland on
Q: Can my husband divorce me without me knowing about it?He is telling me he will do it ?
Pawnee A. Davis
Pawnee A. Davis answered on Nov 25, 2017

If your husband lies and says he does not know where you live and is unable to serve you then he can at least try to divorce you without you knowing it. Eventually he would need to serve you by alternative service. At that point someone might see your name associated with the case in a periodical... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Maryland on
Q: My ex-husband coerced me into signing the divorce agreement by saying he would not pay any alimony until it was decreed

He also said that we were separated while we were still together and before even filing for separation, he moved his GF into his house. Are there any ways I can do anything without him stopping the alimony payments?

Pawnee A. Davis
Pawnee A. Davis answered on Nov 9, 2017

There is no way this could be enforceable if you were coerced in this manner. I would want to know the particulars of your case and if you have a divorce judgment from a judge. You need an attorney to protect your rights. You may contact me if interested or please contact another lawyer of your... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.