Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Child Support legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
New Hampshire Child Support Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Divorce, Family Law and Criminal Law for New Hampshire on
Q: My son’s been stressed due to separation/divorce. He has guilt & remorse for rough handling of 6-mo son at 4 AM changing

My grandson was screaming, fighting, a 20-lb strong baby. My son lost his temper and threw the baby on sofa cushions. My daughter-in-law took baby to hospital , citing child abuse, reported him to CPS, claims my son caused a fracture to one of baby’s ribs. Police are following up, My has no prior... View More

Leonard D. Harden
Leonard D. Harden
answered on Jan 17, 2024

The allegations are very serious. The potential exists for there to be felony charges depending on if there was in fact a serious bodily injury. It is vital that your son not talk to the police or DCYF without speaking to a defense lawyer. The facts may also reveal that it was not a criminal... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for New Hampshire on
Q: If support payer decides on a career change which reduces his income, by, say, $10k, can the support order be amended?

I've read that a support order can only be changed within the first 3 years if there is a substantial change in circumstances. Would this qualify as a substantial change? And does the support payers decision to take a pay cut play into the decision?

Amy C. Connolly
Amy C. Connolly
answered on Apr 17, 2018

It would depend on how much the person made annually. If the individual earned $150,000 a year, a $10,000 decrease may not be substantial. However, if the person makes $40,000 a year, a $10,000 decrees could be considered grounds to seek a support modification. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for New Hampshire on
Q: My children's father I divorced 8 years ago. I want to modify child support. Now he wants a paternity test. Can he?

My children's father I divorced 8 years ago in Washington state. We have 2 daughters. The oldest is not his and he knows this, although we have raised her as his own. She is 16 now and still doesn't know. I now live in New Hampshire. He is in Missouri. I would like to modify child support... View More

Amy C. Connolly
Amy C. Connolly
answered on May 2, 2018

I believe that he can request challenge paternity, however, he may run into a problem if he testified under oath that he was the biological father.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.