Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Divorce Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Texas on
Q: Ex filed no child in divorce we raised son from birth-11yr no adoption ex signed BC both non bio can I amend for custod?

I’m respondent court date for june 21. So I have rights and can I file to court about this for custody. Neither biological husband just signed BC no adoption husband is keeping him from me now. Son wants to live with me what can I do myself

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for New Jersey on
Q: Can a divorced husband have any rights to pensions earned after the divorce that his wife earns?

Other than the settlement at the time of the divorce and the pension is divided up does the husband have access to pension moneys earned after the divorce is finalized?

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 27, 2023

Once a divorce is final, there is no right to anything you earn after the marriage. So you don't have to worry. Good luck.

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Texas on
Q: I want to file uncontested no fault divorce. Can my spouse contest a divorce for no reason . No kids .No assets .

We never lived in the same house together because of her gambling addiction and she is financially irresponsible habits. She said no when I told I want a divorce and she said she would drive up the cost of the divorce if I tried to divorce her so I couldn't afford one. What can she contest if... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Estate Planning and Family Law for Florida on
Q: If we bought a house during our marriage and got divorced and remarry each other and one of us dies, who gets the house?

When we bought the house it was tenants in common with right of survivorship after we divorced it automatically converted to tenants in common with 50/50 ownership. Now that we remarried each other will it reconvert to tenants in common with right of survivorship!

Paul Michael McDermott
Paul Michael McDermott
answered on May 27, 2023

Interesting question. In my opinion as a family law attorney, remarriage does not automatically "reconvert" the property title. You might consider executing a Quitclaim Deed - both as grantors and both as grantees to give you both equal rights as "Tenants by the Entireties,"... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Divorce and Immigration Law for Tennessee on
Q: Hello, if the husband discovered after his marriage that his wife deceived him and the law to come to America under the

America under the pretext of marrying him and divorcing five months after her arrival, what is the difference in the law or legislation in this matter?

Gunda Yohanna Brost
Gunda Yohanna Brost
answered on May 26, 2023

Please finish your question since it got cut off

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for New York on
Q: For my divorce I paid my lawyer back Sept 2, 2023. I've heard from him twice. I've emailed an I have called his office

He responded one time in January. Nothing since then

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Texas on
Q: Can I file for divorce online without using a divorce service & not appear in court. No kids, no assets,Brazos County,

Can I do all of this using the Texas e-filing portal? Or must I go the clerk's office?

Spouse is incarcerated. Marriage took place during incarceration. Spouse will not contest.

Thank you.

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on May 26, 2023

Legally, you can always represent yourself in your own divorce proceeding.

It's like rebuilding a car engine. Legally, you can rebuild your own car's engine. It's probably not wise if you don't know what you're doing.

Many people with substantial legal...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Indiana on
Q: I have a question about child support and joint custody.

Hello I live in Indiana. I've been divorced from my ex-wife for over a year and we settled our divorce out of court. We share an 11 year old daughter. In our agreement we both agreed to split all costs for our daughter and agreed on set days and also I gave my ex-wife the right to file our... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Connecticut on
Q: Should I contact a lawyer first before agreeing to anything regarding the house seperating from wife?

My wife and I are separating not legally or anything now. We have 2 kids 4 and 1 and she wants to move out and get a place. It would likely just be a one bedroom. We currently live in a single family home. The house is under my name only. I put the down payment and mortgage. She just pays me rent... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for California on
Q: Strategy for requesting longer healthcare coverage be provided for damage done by emotionally abusive spouse?

I am a gray marriage short term divorce person?? (What do you call that) I was only married for 2 years however it felt like 20!!! Because of his affluent abuse and extreme harassment, there are not broken bones or bruises. There are good days and bad, when triggered I am prone to high anxiety and... Read more »

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 26, 2023

To ensure extended healthcare coverage for the damage caused by your emotionally abusive spouse, consider these steps:

Understand your current healthcare plan.

Consult your therapist for their professional opinion on your ability to work and required coverage.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for New Jersey on
Q: How do I remove my name from a mortgage if my spouse can’t or refuses to refinance and only he is on our house deed?

My yet-to-be-divorced spouse wants us to sign an agreement whereas he will pay me a sum of money to remove myself from our house deed. We would both remain on the mortgage but he would assume full payments for a year at which time he agreed to refinance to remove me from mortgage. What if after a... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 25, 2023

This is a very complex situation that would exceed what most attorneys will include in a free consultation. You really need to retain an attorney who is experienced in both matrimonial law and civil litigation, as well as mortgage foreclosure defense. There are too many moving parts to provide a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Ohio on
Q: Married 5 years. Husband put name on deed after 1 year of marriage. Is there a case that shows a spouse is entitled?

Separated after 4 years 8 months. Is spouse entitled to 50 percent? Is there any case law showing someone receiving a percentage? The house was the husband's previously but wife helped with remodeling.

Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
answered on May 26, 2023

This case will be arguable from several different perspectives. The original owner of the property may wish to argue it is still mostly separate property (up to the value at the time of marriage or the revision to the deed). The spouse has an argument that the property is now marital being... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania on
Q: Should I file a motion to strike

Both unrepresented partied in ED. I filed everything according to the order. He filed nothing, yet was allowed to split his screen during Zoom hearing to enter evidence

Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
answered on May 26, 2023

Honestly, it's really impossible to answer your question without a lot more information. Please discuss your situation with a local attorney experienced in family law. This is a question which is not appropriate for an online site like this.

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for California on
Q: My husband had a rental property, Soon after we married, he sold it but put my name on the deed. Is that his or ours?

When he sold that house he put me on the deed. I thought it was for tax purposes. at the time.

The money is what we used to buy a new home and we had a joint checking with the remainder.

I just want to know if my name is on the rental property deed on the sale date. Then are the... Read more »

Tobie B. Waxman
Tobie B. Waxman
answered on May 25, 2023

Property purchased prior to marriage is separate property of the person who purchased it. If title was transferred to you in a writing (such as an interspousal grant deed), then the property becomes community property as of the date of transfer. The value of the property that accumulated before... Read more »

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Domestic Violence for New York on
Q: I am not US citizen and lived in Dhaka.My husband is a US citizen He abased me He did not take marriage responsibility.

I want justice and want to give divorce to my husband

0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Montana on
Q: Have a parenting plan in missouri. Part of it requires a child that graduates high school to notify other parent of

College enrollment by Oct 1st of same yr. That failed to happen. Now an emancipation hearing is scheduled for that child. What will happen on court on the emancipation. What would the court order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.