Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Real Estate Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
South Dakota Real Estate Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for South Dakota on
Q: I have become executor of will and have acquired my father's house. Can I let it go back to the bank with all the stuff

Can we leave all the stuff in the house and let it go back to the bank?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for South Dakota on
Q: Can a personal representative of an estate appear for the estate in a proceeding in Third Judicial coUrt in South Dakota

I am a personal representative for my father's estate. my city is suing my brother, the family business and my father's estate regarding a building we are in the process of demoing. Can I appear as the representative or do we need a lawyer to represent the estate?

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 10, 2024

In South Dakota, as in many states, a personal representative of an estate generally cannot represent the estate in legal proceedings unless they are a licensed attorney. This is because appearing in court and advocating on behalf of an estate is considered the practice of law, and non-attorneys... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for South Dakota on
Q: In Southdakota wthere are multiple owners listed on real-estate and one dies,Does the property have to go through probat
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 25, 2023

You will need to hire a competent SD attorney to search the title and determine ownership first. Then decide if Probate is needed.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Personal Injury, Real Estate Law and Civil Rights for South Dakota on
Q: We live in a 3 bed 3 bath apartment in vermillion SD. Another roommate and I have ESAS(2catts). No pets allowed complex

Landlords can't charge for ESA. In the contract it states if there's damages at the end of the year we pay for pee test(black light), carpet cleaning, and ventilation system cleaning. It's a really expensive bill. Our landlords are a wife and husband. They're shady and... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 9, 2021

A South Dakota attorney should advise, but your question remains open for four weeks. You could try reposting and adding Landlord-Tenant as a category. There's no guarantee that all questions are ultimately picked up, but you might have better chances of a reply in that category. You could... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for South Dakota on
Q: Our Seller died 5 days before closing. No children, no will, only a brother and step brother. How can we Close?

We found out 3 days prior to closing that she passed that last Sunday. What are our next steps to being able to close on our new house? No children on her side and no husband either. Thank you

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 11, 2021

You will need to make a claim against the estate to complete the contract. If nobody opens a probate in a timely fashion, you can hire an attorney to open one yourself. You should talk to a probate attorney right away as this all takes some time and will, unfortunately, delay your closing, so the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for South Dakota on
Q: I intend to pay off mortgage on my son's house to prevent mortgage svc company from foreclosing and losing his equity.

Then I want him to sell me the house to me for $1. Problems

Is there a tax problem based on the real value of the property?

Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo
answered on Sep 19, 2017

Not if everything goes through as planned.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.