Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Hawaii Immigration Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: Me and my foreign wife go to a green card interview next month. However, I was recently charged with a misdemeanor of

domestic battery and the charges were dropped by a judge. (me and my wife got into a drunken shoving match) Does my wife and I have to report this to the immigration office?

Kyndra Mulder answered on May 20, 2019

Yes. You need to report it and provide a complete certified copy of the record from the original arrest report to the final disposition. If the case was dropped in exchange for a plea and/or any program..... it is considered a guilty charge by the USCIS. It is also a crime of violence and a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: How to handle request for evidence ( tax transcripts ) knowing that I cannot make the deadline ? I may need 2 months.

I filed federal taxes a week prior to the interview and had copies of my returns at the interview, but wasn't asked to show them. At the end I was told I will get a notice in the mail about what to submit. I received a letter a few days later asking for federal tax transcripts and state taxes... Read more »

Kelli Y Allen answered on Feb 1, 2019

All you can do is send in what you have and ask for an extension. You could speak with an immigration to handle the response, but there's not anything else he/she could do.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: How do I provide divorce document when I was never married to my child biological father? USCIS requires it for N-600.

Filed the N-600 for daughter after receiving citizenship. Philippines records shows one marriage to current husband. USCIS is requesting for divorce paper but was never married to daughters Biological father. Daughter was born in Kuwait, which has strict law in live births. Parents must be married... Read more »

Carl Shusterman answered on Jun 20, 2018

You need to file an affidavit explaining this discrepancy. Better yet, show the paperwork to an experienced immigration attorney before doing anything.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: My husbands visa interview is at the end of this month but his case is in transferring process, does he still attends?

His case is in the process of transferring from Lagos embassy to Seoul embassy where he currently resides . Being that we have not heard back from Seoul embassy yet if they had received his case from Lagos, does he continue to get his medical exams and attend his visa interview in Lagos?

Carl Shusterman answered on Jun 18, 2018

Confusing question. If his case is being transferred to Seoul, why does he have a visa interview in Lagos? If he does, I recommend that he attend the interview.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: My fiance isnt in school so his visa is getting pulled we get married in 6months is there a way for him stay til then?

Carl Shusterman answered on Jun 16, 2018

You may want to consider getting married now so you could sponsor him for a green card right away.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: My husband is getting an annulment in the process of my green card, I am already inside the us. what are my options?

I am from France and came in the us with a tourist visa in December 2016. I married an us citizen before my visa expired and started the green card process. Now My husband wants to separate and get an annulment. I am now waiting for my immigration interview. What are my options to stay here?

Carl Shusterman answered on May 8, 2018

Impossible to answer your question without knowing more about you. Schedule a legal consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: What kind of visa will my friend need if he is planning to come here and do business?

Shan Dimitris Potts answered on May 4, 2018


There are several "business" visas available. What kind of visa is suitable for your friend depends on the type of business and the amount of money he/she will invest in that business. Talk to an immigration attorney or have your friend talk to an immigration attorney in private to...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: Was out of status. Case dismissed, gr card based on marriage. Applying for citizenship. Need court docs w/application?

Application for citizenship requirement is to provide a court certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition. Do I need to provide those documents if was in immigration proceedings? or it applies only for the courts other then immigration, like criminal and etc.

Carl Shusterman answered on Apr 27, 2018

Yes, you need to send a certified copy of your record of conviction along with your N-400 application for naturalization.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: I lost my Permanent Resident Card. Can i apply for US Citizenship without it or Do i need to replace it first? Thanks...

Carl Shusterman answered on Apr 27, 2018

You need to file a form I-90 to replace your green card before you apply for naturalization.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: I am naturalized US citizen. Can i bring my 10 y.o sister together with my parents at once? Thanks

I was wondering if my youngest sister can come to u.s the same time as my parents cause nobody will take care of her in Philippines. Thank you.

Carl Shusterman answered on Apr 20, 2018

Unfortunately not. You can easily sponsor your parents for green cards, but a sibling petition for someone born in the Philippines takes over 20 years. (I know that first hand since my wife is from Cebu.)

If your parents find an alternate way to immigrate to the US, their 10-year-old...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: If our child is born in the US, will that help my husband and I get green cards through her citizenship?

Carl Shusterman answered on Apr 20, 2018

Only when she turns 21 years of age can she sponsor you and your husband for green cards.

To petition for your parents (mother or father) to live in the United States as green card holders, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old. Green card holders (permanent residents) may...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: If an illegitimate child's father is an american citizen, what surename should he/she be using?

Can an illegitimate child of an american citizen be automatically US citizen?

Hector E. Quiroga answered on Nov 27, 2017

Possibly. It depends on a variety of factors. It is best to consult with an immigration attorney to discuss your particular circumstances.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: What happens if you're an undocumented immigrant (parents brought you over as a child) and your country of origin

refuses to accept you back if the US tries to deport you?

Clare Hanusz answered on Aug 1, 2017


The answer to your question depends in part on what country you are from and what year you arrived. It's very fact specific, and you'd need to provide more facts for a proper evaluation.


Clare Hanusz

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: so im trying to get my green card or adjust my immigration status in the us but national visa center said i need to go t

i need to go to my hometown us embassy and obtain my iimigrant visa there but im already in the states, is there a way i can do it here without haing to travel back because i might get a ban since my visa expired????

Kyndra Mulder answered on Apr 12, 2017

In general, once you have overstayed your visa you can not change or adjust status without leaving the USA to do so. An exception is if you are adjusting through a USC immediate relative.

You are correct that if you leave the country you may be subject to a ban and you will need a waiver...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: If a permanent resident who has lived in the US for 5 years, and who has a petition in for their 3 unmarried children,

(one soon to be married) to come to the US, becomes a US citizen, will the change in immigration status of the petitioner affect the standing of the petition in regards to validity and place in the queue?

Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Jun 29, 2016

Yes, your case will be automatically updated but it takes time for it to be done automatically. If you update your status yourself the process will be much faster. And the priority dates will also change after you become a U.S citizen.

All the best.

-Shan Potts

Like our...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: hello my name is machiko, im half japanese. i tried applying for f1 visa before my j1 visa expired. i was denied

now my question is will i have a ban because my i-94 expired before i received the result of the status. im staying in hawaii while waiting for the result

Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Jun 21, 2016

You usually have 60 days to leave the country after your I-94 expires. If it has been more than 60 days since your visa expired, you may have a ban.

All the best.

-Shan Potts

Like our facebook page for regular immigration and visa updates -
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on

Q: I am Canadian, lived in USA 37 years,married an american, I need an attorney to help me get citizenship.

I have 3 x husbands and my former is deceased. I remarried 10 years ago, and am still married and we have 2 american children. I need assistance please

Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Sep 24, 2015

The first step in applying for citizenship is to get a permanent residence card. Once you get a permanent residence card and send 5 years in the US with that card you will be able to apply for citizenship. Your US citizen husband may be able to sponsor you for a green card, so please contact an... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.