Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Michigan Personal Injury Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation and Domestic Violence for Michigan on
Q: Can I sue my job for the incident that happened today?

Today at work, I work at Spectrum Juvenile Justice Services and a resident threw urine on me. The resident had already been acting out throughout the week and the punishment for that is he couldn’t come out his room. So during the day someone had to sit at his door to monitor him. That’s what I... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 24, 2019

You can't sue your job for that. Unfortunately Mental Health workers face assault and abuse but there is little that can be done. If you have a union speak with them.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: f dont know what kind lawyer to get i am a senior there no funding in state for legal help I dont want lost my toes

my water is brown and codes saw it and fridge has been broke called codes they didnt enforce anything i waited for senor housing since it all happen finally got in packed i did what i was told to hold rent till stuff was fixed landlord sue me at last day my senior lawyercalled said sorry out... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 19, 2019

I'm sorry for your ordeal as a senior, and that Michigan DHS was not able to help you. Contact the State Bar of Michigan - they have resources for legal aid for the public. Also look into law schools in your area. Some law schools have clinics or internships where their students provide legal... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: Can I take any legal action for an injury that occurred in January of last year?

I slipped on an icy step they didn't salt in the winter and broke my ankle. I had two surgeries and have healed but am now dealing with neuropathy I didn't have from before the incident. I was told by my company not to take legal action but I no longer work for them and am now living in... Read more »

Craig Pogosky
Craig Pogosky answered on Jul 16, 2019

It sounds like you may have two different kinds of actions. One is under the workers' compensation law of your state if you were in the course of your employment, which it sounds like you were, and a second action against the owner &/or tenant of the group home for failing to maintain the... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Michigan on
Q: What type of lawyer do I need to sue my doctor for malpractice and do I even have a case?

My ob gyn said my baby was healthy when I was pregnant but I was sick so she prescribed me zofran. I was not informed of any major risks to myself or my baby by taking this drug. Thinking that I could trust my own doctor I thought it was safe. A short time after taking the prescribed drug, I... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 7, 2019

I'm very sorry for your loss. As a starting point, you could contact a medical malpractice attorney in Michigan for an initial consultation. In terms of your question about having a case, that is something an attorney could make a more meaningful determination after learning more details from... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: What kind of lawyer has the skill set to sue child protective services for dereliction of duty.

This was a gross oversight by the agency that resulted in a death which could have been prevented had they done there job

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 14, 2019

I'm sorry for this situation. A wrongful death attorney would handle such cases in general, but from the brief details here, it looks like you would want to speak with someone who has insight into the agency. A starting point could be to speak with attorneys on this site, the Internet, or... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: Wife has aflac cancer policy on our daughter. Does she share the payout in michigan?

She took the policy out years ago. We are currently going through divorce and our daughter has been diagnosed with cancer. My ex is now saying she will only pay her 33 percent of the deductible and i am held for the rest. And if i dont pay in full she will get a court order for them to take my... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Apr 2, 2019

Your issue is far more complex than what can be answered here. I could see a situation whereby the insurance payout is considered in the child support calculation. I could also see where an outcome would be similar to what your ex is saying.

You should speak with a family law attorney in...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Michigan on
Q: Ok...long story short My wife has been in jail 3 months waiting pre-trial for a awadw denied pastor

They wont say why no pastor visit after he been going in once a week for 3 months? Can they do this?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 5, 2019

This is, first and foremost, a jail issue. Has the jail provided any reason why your wife, specifically, is not receiving pastor visits? Has anyone tried to visit her? Some jails also distinguish between pre-trial and sentenced persons, with pre-trial detainees being limited to access to programs... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury, DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for Michigan on
Q: I was in an accident yesterday and had a blood level of 2.98. This will be my second offense and I’m really worried

I ended up totaling my boyfriends new truck and going to the hospital. I was not in the right state of mind when the cops talked to me and might have jeopardized myself. I had also taken two cbd gummies which is why I was drowsy. 4 years ago I got charged with an owi so this will be my second... Read more »

Frank B. Ford
Frank B. Ford answered on Feb 21, 2019

You definitely need an attorney to help you with the situation. The information here does not indicate where this happened, which can affect how to approach the case, the cost for legal services, and who might be a good choice of attorneys. I think it would be better if you called me, or some... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: Do mass tort cases come to a conclusion over time?

Documents are being finalized, basically making sure everything is in place..

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 23, 2019

I think I just answered this question a moment ago, answer appearing a question or two below.

Tim Akpinar

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: Why did my post-ADR conference get cancelled, again? (Federal Court)

I have a complex personal injury suit that is 4 years in the making. It’s pretty complex. It’s seens as though, there has been delay after delay. In the past year it’s gained some traction, but still docket delays. We were scheduled for a post-ADR status conference in 3 weeks, it’s was... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jan 16, 2019

Adjournments and other delays are part and parcel to civil litigation. This latest cancellation could be for any number of reasons and requested by one or several of the parties. Hopefully your lawyer can provide you with an explanation about what happened. Just know that it's not terribly... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for Michigan on
Q: I'm in the process of going to the Supreme Court over damages arising of legal malpractice the amount of my lawsuit I ne

Need to file superintending control I have all my documentation my investigative report against the attorney everything is done they said if all possible get help with citation with legal authority but I'm trying to get legal counsel as soon as possible if not I need to get this sent off they... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Dec 26, 2018

You may be conflating the grievance process with a legal malpractice claim; they are two distinct things with completely different possible outcomes. If you are asking the Supreme Court for superintending control, that implies that you've filed a grievance with the Attorney Grievance... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: Does homeowners insurance cover medical bills of friends who get injured on your property, or is there a limitation to

that coverage?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 11, 2018

I don't practice in Michigan but your question remains open for 3 weeks. In general, a homeowner's policy should cover medical bills. There can be limitations, such as if a contractor was performing work, the carrier could issue a denial on the grounds that it would be a workers'... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: Another driver hit my vehicle and caused damage to my csr. I was injured and didn't go to the ER. What can I do?

I did file a small claims against her. She didn't have NO insurance and NO VALID DRIVER'S LICENSE. She appeared in COURT ONE time in this case. She informed the Judge she didn't work and that she wanted to "stay home" to raise her child. To date, she hasn't paid a... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 23, 2018

Assuming that $8,000 is the judgment amount, you can contact a collection agency or attorney to help you collect. You have several legal options at your disposal.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: Im disabled and my dad pushed me off a deck in air then runs before i could get up and lays haymakers into my eye and

And side of head i have epilepsy and he beat my face real bad i jave a ton of pics

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 23, 2018

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you've called the police or filed a police report. That is your first step.

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Environmental and Public Benefits for Michigan on
Q: My linen on the bed at hotel was not changed I slept in the bed for two when I realized the sheets were solid.Can I sue?

I did not check the bed as I would normally. The second night I put a pillow under my leg. The next morning I noticed the sheets were solid. I had slept under these for two days. I have to wait a couple of weeks to be tested for hepatitis. I am very upset. This is a major chain. They asked what... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 23, 2018

You can, of course, sue, but I'm not sure what that will get you. You'd need to prove damages to substantiate a monetary value. Assuming the best-and most likely scenario: this was a housekeeping error, and whomever slept in the bed before you was an ordinary and clean person, I'm... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: My ex filed a false report on me -- it affected my employment -- can I sue her - is this considered a personal injury?
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 15, 2018

Possibly, BUT...allegations made in a police report are not false simply because the prosecutor elects not to issue criminal charges, criminal charges are dismissed or plead down, or the defendant prevails at trial.

Unless your ex was criminally charged with filing a false police report,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Health Care Law for Michigan on
Q: My brother and fiance are dealing with very serious accusation by detectives and police about their baby, who can help

Detectives and police are questioning them about drugs and abuse. There 2month old is in serious condition at Bronson hospital. They don't do any of that. They need legal advise. The doc says my niece has blood on her brain consistent with Blunt force trauma or a car crash and she's... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 1, 2018

They need legal advice (with a "c"). A lawyer advises and provides advice.

Who are you going to call? You surely cannot call GHOSTBUSTERS.

Who do you call when you need legal services? Yes, you know. You contact a lawyer.

So you contact lawyers and seek to retain a lawyer

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Identity Theft for Michigan on
Q: What can I sue someone for as the victim of an assault and battery and larceny from a car?

Criminal charges are being persued, the 'suspect' has been arrested and arraigned. He punched me in the face twice, knocking my front tooth out. He was the passenger in my car I was DRIVING, so i parked and demanded he get out. He refused, so i got out. Whwn he hit me he knocked off my... Read more »

Daniel Hilf
Daniel Hilf answered on Aug 22, 2018

You were the victim of an intentional tort (assault and battery) and can pursue a civil lawsuit against him. The lawsuit can be filed as a small claims matter (where you represent yourself in court), however your recovery will be limited. You, or a lawyer retained to represent you, can file a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Rights and Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: If my dog is of leash and she approaches a person but does not touch or hurt them or their dog. Can they call the police

Can I get in trouble

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Aug 18, 2018

Anyone can call the police. I think you left out facts like possibly the dog was snarling and acting in a way that seemed like it would attack.

Does "is of leash" mean "is off leash"?

If so many laws exist that dogs are required to be on a leash

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: I got in a car accident 6 months ago, my lawyer never answers his phone calls.

Im trying to see where my loss wage claims are, adjuster wont speak to me, lawyer wont answer phone, neither his assistant,

I was wondering, what can I do, without my lawyer's interference since he never answers me, to push my insurance company to send my wage loss without filing a... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 19, 2018

The insurance won't talk to you. Suggest you write and ask for an appointment, explain you call and dont' get anyone (double check to make sure you are using the right number).

Make the appointment in person. You can then see your file and if it's getting work on it....
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.