Government Contracts Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Government Contracts Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Government Contracts for California on
Q: I am a staff psychiatrist in one of the state hospitals in California. I want to work as a contractor with another state

hospital. I was told I have to wait 2 years after I resign from my current job in order to apply as a contractor with the state hospital. How is this legal? I am not involved in any negotiations, planning, arrangements or any policy-making relevant to physician contractors. My current job is as a... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Sep 25, 2020

California strongly protects employees' rights to move from one job to another, and prohibits such as a restraint of trade. Any attempt to do what your present employer is trying to do is a violation of Business and Professions Code section 16600.

It would be wise for you to seek out...
Read more »

View More Answers

Q: I’m about to go to boot camp but I have a pending civil court case for a car accident. Will I be able to go to BC?

Does boot camp qualify the trial to be put on “stay” status?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 14, 2020

A Texas attorney should advise, but your question remains open for two weeks. Until you are able to consult with a Texas attorney with time looming, you could check with the judge's clerk on your case. Based on your description, it sounds like a note of issue has been filed and that you may be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Collections and Government Contracts for Illinois on
Q: Do I have to pay union fees if hired by Illinois State University as a parking officer?

I was recently hired by Illinois State University as a parking officer. I received a letter saying I have 30 days from date of hire to join or opt out. However the University contract with the union states they will withhold “fair share” payments from wages regardless of membership. The issue... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jul 31, 2020

Yes. If your salary was negotiated by a union, you have to pay "shop dues" or some other such fee as if you were in the union. So, since you have to pay dues anyway, you should probably join, then you get the benefit of having someone in your corner if there is a problem, such as you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Government Contracts for Maryland on
Q: What would you suggest citizens could do about a swap shop painting stolen cars on the Washington DC/Maryland State line

The resident located at 905 Eastern Ave. in Fairmount Heights Maryland has turned this residential home into a swap shop. I have videos and pictures of the stolen cars and the paint shop located in the rear of the home. Not only are they operating without proper licensing, the fumes a meeting or... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jul 28, 2020

Provide your information to the police.

File a complaint with the DC Department of Energy and Environment,

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Government Contracts for California on
Q: An elected board member applies for a job in the school district.

Only after she is informed that her name will go forward for approval by the board does she resign from the board. The superintendent, who was hired by the board just a few weeks before, is in the uncomfortable position of putting her name forward. The job is that of being his assistant and he has... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jul 27, 2020

Ah, the old smell test. Maybe you should get your concern as an agenda item before the entire board. Nepotism in employment is not prohibited, in PRIVATE EMPLOYMENT. however, (unless your last name is Trump) it is frowned upon in Public employment.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts and Small Claims for Florida on
Q: If you leave your property on city property does it become owned by the city?

Volunteers/nonprofit leaving goods overnight.

City then uses such goods, and claims such property is owned by them.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jul 21, 2020

If it's abandoned, and whether that is the case depends on all of the circumstance, it can be taken by anyone.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Georgia on
Q: In georgia if the state courts have violated your rights as a victim

And those hendered your rights to justice Would there be a conflict of interest in any other case in that court system?

Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw answered on Jun 24, 2020

Generally speaking, the answer is no. However, more information is needed about your specific circumstances. It may be best to speak with an attorney who can assess the details of your concerns.

We are glad to assist you. Contact us whenever you are ready.

We wish you well....
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts and Public Benefits for New York on
Q: How much would a lawyer charge to apply for state teacher certification in all 50 States. What is the time frame?

I am interested to know if someone can apply for teacher certification for me in all 50 states. I have an Advanced Professional Certificate in Two Subject Areas, and an Administrator Credential. I have 15 years of teaching experience, could someone do this? If so could you give a rough time... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 28, 2020

Why do you want to pay a lawyer to do something you could accomplish on your own? It doesn't require legal skills to apply for teacher certification. Given your credentials, you are clearly bright enough to deal with the process. But if you wish to have a lawyer handle it for you, you could... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Government Contracts, Intellectual Property and Land Use & Zoning for Hawaii on
Q: Can I hire a paralegal instead of a lawyer for a lawsuit
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 23, 2020

Someone familiar with the rules governing paralegals in Hawaii should answer your question, but your post remains open for four weeks. As a general matter without regard to jurisdiction, paralegals can perform many functions, such as research, preparing forms, investigating claims, etc. Paralegals... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts, Public Benefits and Contracts for Tennessee on
Q: Pawn shop sold my items during state of emergency in tennessee what can i do
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 18, 2020

You might consider filing a Civil Warrant for Conversion in General Sessions. The exact name of the Shop must be listed as Party Defendant, and you must properly serve it.

Q: My small town with a population less than 10K is on track to pay the city attorney 500K annually. Is this normal?
George W. Wolff Esq.
George W. Wolff Esq. answered on May 8, 2020

It does seem excessive.

Did they handle any litigation for the City?

Maybe they should put it out for bid?

View More Answers

Q: I would be happy to find an IP lawyer interested in represent my interest in intelectual property that I wish to patent
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn answered on Apr 29, 2020

I am glad that you are taking care with this choice. Picking a patent attorney is different than some other limited tasks like buying a house. You need someone with the right legal skills and the right technical knowledge. You also need someone that you can work with as an external team member... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, Government Contracts and Juvenile Law for Illinois on
Q: I got pulled over after getting caught stealing from a gas station and that day was my last day of court supervision

I was just wondering is that going to go against it because by then I will have my court date in a few weeks away I would also like to add I’m a minor and was under the influence and they breathalyzer but they just let me go and said they send the tickets in the mail I’ve dealt with cops a lot... Read more »

Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink answered on Mar 23, 2020

Your Court Supervision should be fine, but you really need to have your parents hire a criminal defense attorney for you in order to assist you with these new charges. The sooner an attorney is hired, the better.

1 Answer | Asked in Government Contracts on
Q: Hi, I have recently signed my cousin’s name on a gov paper without the intent of defraud. Is it illegal to that?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 16, 2020

It would have been better if the cousin had given you power of attorney to sign on their behalf, if such an arrangement would have been acceptable for the form. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Q: What is appeal? If sentenced can you still get one?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 9, 2020

You include four categories for your question, but do not include Criminal Law - although you mention the word "sentencing." If your matter involves sentencing, a criminal defense lawyer should be advising you. As a general matter in virtually any context, appeals are governed by short... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Government Contracts for Louisiana on
Q: What kind of lawyer do I need for the state (la) road home sueing me.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 2, 2020

A Louisiana attorney could help you best, but your question remains open for four weeks. Do you know what kind of matter they are suing you for? That's the first thing to figure out. That could help answer your question about what kind of lawyer is needed here. If you need help with this, you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Government Contracts for Tennessee on
Q: I would like to sue the state of TN for breach of contract. Because I feel my 1st amendment right was violated.

When I signed a contract agreeing to receive the offer that gives theam a right to permote A A and faith based programs.

Do I have a case

Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills answered on Jan 30, 2020

An attorney would need to review the contract documents and have a discussion with you further about the facts to determine whether you have any causes of action. Consult a local attorney to assist you.

3 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts, Traffic Tickets and DUI / DWI for Illinois on
Q: My license has been revoked for over 10 years. I was caught driving a month ago. Can I get a license again in Illinois
Theodore J. Harvatin
Theodore J. Harvatin answered on Jan 21, 2020

Unless you have 4 or more convictions for DUI yes you can. First you have to resolve the driving while revoked ticket. Then you will have to have a hearing with the Illinois Secretary of State. There’s a long process to getting ready for that and you should consider retaining an attorney.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Government Contracts for Virginia on
Q: Dbids afi 31-113 for base proceedures. Can a commander bar you from base based on a 27 years old conviction?

My dbids access card was recently flagged for something that happened 27 years ago in Salinas CA. Im honorable discharged Combat Veteran of 23 years. I work on base at fort eustis, VA.

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Dec 27, 2019

I regret that I do not handle military base access card matters. Sorry.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts and Municipal Law for California on
Q: Who does make sure cities in a state ( California) comply with state laws?
Michael Doland
Michael Doland answered on Dec 24, 2019

Your question is too vague to permit any analysis. What laws?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.