Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Missouri Collections Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Collections for Missouri on
Q: I am being sued for ""Breach of Contract" by a debt collector. I appeared at court for the trial, their lawyer did not.

When i check the online court docket entries it says "PLAINTIFF BY ATTORNEY CRESON, DEFENDANT APPEARS NOT. CASE RESET" My question is, what does "Defendant Appears Not", mean? I know they reschedule the case, but when i read that statement it reads like they showed up and i didn't. Which was the... Read more »

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Apr 3, 2018

Defendant appears not means that the court has no record of your having showed up at court. So long as a default judgment was not entered against you, I don't think the docketing mistake matters.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Collections and Health Care Law for Missouri on
Q: I owe $7000 in medical debt. We agreed to a 3 year payment, $208 a month. If I only pay them $10 a month, can they sue?
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Apr 3, 2018

Yes. If you breach your agreement they can sue and probably will.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Missouri on
Q: I received a letter stating that the "Associate Circuit court has entered a judgment against you and that judgement is"

"now final. We would certainly like to cooperate with you. The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can try to help you take care of this debt." I had no notice to come to court- will my wages get garnished or bank account be frozen? I owe $224 and I live in St. Louis.

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Apr 3, 2018

In order for a money judgment to have been entered against you the plaintiff must have gotten you served. Go to the court and ask to view the return of service. It could be that a family member of yours over age 15 was served and that service was therefore valid.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Family Law for Missouri on
Q: Is a spouse liable for her husbands judgement if they were married after the judgement?
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond answered on Aug 25, 2016

Generally, no, unless your funds were already mingled at the time of the judgment. Speak with an attorney who helps with bad debt collection calls or deals with the Fair Debt Collections Practice Act.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections, Personal Injury and Social Security for Missouri on
Q: Can as disability or pension be garnished from a law suit against me

I'm being sued for an accident I need to know if they can garnish my ss disability or my pension can't afford a lawyer

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 1, 2016

If it's a car accident your insurance would handle it. If it's something else it's worth your paying a laywer if needbe for a consultation. Normally people don't get sued if they have no money--it's the insurance people are looking for.

To answer your question, if it got that far, then they...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections, Employment Law, Public Benefits and Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: I collected Unemployment in the state of Massachusetts in 2006-2007.

I was found to not be eligible for the unemployment benefits. I appealed the decision and I lost so I immediately repaid the amount I was given. During the appeals process the state charged me interested on what I owed. At the time I was appealing the decision was living in another state (MO) and... Read more »

Marshall Jason Ray
Marshall Jason Ray answered on Apr 28, 2016

You were caught in the Treasury Offset Program -- TOP. TOP has become one of the primary avenues for states to collect outstanding unemployment overpayments. Generally speaking, this program is legal, as long as the state agency using it follows the various requirements of federal law. Child... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Missouri on
Q: What steps do I take if a company owes me money?

My wife and I own a handyman business and completed work for a restoration company about 7 weeks ago. They were shorted by the company that hired them and now they keep promising payment with no results. I know I can take them to small claims court but is there anything else I can do first?

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Sep 14, 2015

Well, I think you should look into whether you can get a constructin lien on the property. It might be too late on this particular job, but that might be an available thing to do in your state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.