New Hampshire Education Law Questions & Answers

Q: A student at a public high school performed a lewd sexual act in class. Principal verified claim but nothing done.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Feb 13, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
I would contact the members of your school board or any other elected officials in your town or city.

Q: What is the statute of limitations for filing a negligence suit against a NH educational system?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Education Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Jan 23, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
It may depend on the facts of the case and the remedies allowed by contract or statute and whether or not it could be a Human Rights Commission type claim. If this is a straight forward negligence claim then it would be three years but and this is a BIG but, the person bringing suit has to exhaust all of his or her remedies prior to bringing suit in either state or federal court. In other words, watch out for demanding hearings in front of the school board or some Board in charge of...

Q: Can I sue school for wrongly implying that I bullied someone?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Personal Injury, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for New Hampshire on
Answered on Dec 8, 2017
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
I don't see enough facts in this scenario to justify a lawsuit unless there is more, a good place to get someone in the school ranks to help you with any problems you may have may start with filing a complaint to your superintendent or to the person representing your district on the school board.

Q: Can I sue college for inhabitable dorm conditions?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Landlord - Tenant and Personal Injury for New Hampshire on
Answered on Mar 10, 2016
Israel Piedra's answer
Yes, you most likely could. All lessees of real estate, including students in dorms, have a right to the quiet enjoyment of their residences.

Now, as a practical matter lawsuits are very expensive. It could easily cost $2,000 just to file such a lawsuit. If it went all the way to trial, that cost could rise to $10,000 or more. Therefore, many people would seek alternative means of resolving the issue, such as dealing with the housing administration at the college directly, or...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.