Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Immigration Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: Do we have to notify USCIS if we rent an extra room apartment?

My wife(sponsor) and I are waiting for my next interview to remove my conditional status. We live in a small apartment along with my wife's mother and I'm a recording musician so my wife and I want to rent another apartment to put all our equipment. This year, I got a mail at the... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Jan 2, 2019

Unless you are moving to that apartment, or somehow a mailing address change is part of the process you have described, you should not need to notify USCIS.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: My boyfriend is from India and wants to come visit will it be a problem for him to get visa? He is Muslim.
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 3, 2018

Visitor visa should not be a problem assuming he has a clean record.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: Should I renew DACA?

I have been a DACA recipient since 06/13/13. I have since then renewed my status accordingly. My current DACA status and Employment Authorization card expires on 03/01/19. Having said that, earlier this year, my husband and I got married. We both then filed for my green card (I-130, I-485, I-864).... Read more »

Osarumwense Iyamu
Osarumwense Iyamu answered on Oct 3, 2018

It's in your best interest to renew your DACA since there is no guarantee as to the outcome of your green card application or how much time it would take to complete the adjudication of your green card application. Also, bear in mind that even with the best intentions there are no guarantees... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: I have a question about reactivating a green card for my husband, a British citizen. I am a US citizen.

My husband got a Green card in 1986. In 2006 we moved overseas to care for his mother. For financial reasons he was unable to return on a yearly basis. We now want to return to the US. How can he regain his Green Card status? He has traveled to the US most recently with an ESTA visa waiver.

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman answered on Jun 14, 2018

He needs to start from the beginning. Green cards can be obtained through sponsorship by US citizen or permanent relatives, through employment or investment.

Carl Shusterman

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: If I was a witness in a violence case can I can a U visa ?
Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman answered on Apr 23, 2018

Hopefully, you were a witness for the prosecution.

To be eligible for a Green Card based on U-1 nonimmigrant status, you must meet the following requirements:

You properly file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status;

You were lawfully...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: H1B from Employer A to EB1-A Petition based on Extraordinary Abilities

I'm on H1B with Employer A. I have Founded a new company, Invested in my Ideas to make smartphone Apps. I hired someone in my company to oversee the progress. I paid to a software company in India to make these Apps and launched in Appstore and Google Play. Now the Apps became very successful... Read more »

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman answered on Apr 23, 2018

Nothing for you to worry about. Although few attorneys are aware of this, when I was Trial Attorney for the INS in the early 1980s, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in Bhakta v. INS that even a person with a non-working immigration status could run a business as long as he did not take a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: How do I choose an immigration attorney for my fiance, a professional Filipino lady with 1 minor of five children.
Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman answered on Apr 21, 2018

Immigration law is one of the most complex areas of law. Selecting the right immigration attorney can make the difference between obtaining a green card or being forced to leave the United States.

Before you visit the attorney’s website, google him to see what others have written about...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: I have someone that I want to marry in Turkey and I was wondering how does it work to bring here?

Do I go to Turkey and how long will it take?

Michael Hajarizadeh
Michael Hajarizadeh answered on Nov 25, 2017

You should contact an immigration attorney about a fiancé visa called a K1 visa.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: Do current employees have to fill out new I-9 after their green card expires?
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Nov 6, 2017

They shouldn’t, no. That is only the case when someone is starting a new job. An expired green card does not mean a loss of residency; however, you should get your card renewed ASAP.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Child Custody for Oregon on
Q: If a family member who's lived in the us for 3 years (originally from Mexico) got sent back, could he come back at 18?

He's lived in the US to further his education, and wasn't deported. He was sent back to Mexico because his uncle (a us citizen) didn't like him, and his mother didn't want him to go off by himself (thinking he would stay with another family). He wanted to get adopted into one,... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Oct 29, 2017

This is an immigration question. Whether someone can enter the US either to immigrate or on a student visa is strictly an immigration question. In order to answer that question your family member will have to consult with an immigration lawyer and give the lawyer specific information which will... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Military Law for Oregon on
Q: Is parole in place for military families still available to apply for as of september 2017?

Husband is in navy reserves, can I still apply for parole in place?

Myron Morales
Myron Morales answered on Sep 18, 2017

As long as he is on active duty, you can still apply for parole in place.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: I-130 Petition Was the beneficiary EVER in immigration proceedings?

Hi, I am helping my brother in law start the process for his I-130 petition. I am confused when it asked this part. Was the beneficiary EVER in immigration proceedings? I'm not sure what to answer. My brother in law was caught crossing the boarder illegally when he first tried crossing. He was... Read more »

Michael Hajarizadeh
Michael Hajarizadeh answered on Aug 25, 2017

Immigration is a very technical sector of the law and there are several low cost organizations in the state that can assist with form preparation, you could contact The immigration court in Portland for possible referrals to some reputable agencies.

I would like to help answer your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: Husband on visitors visa and needs to leave before filling AOS

He is from algeria we got married when he came back the second time in november 2016 . His father is very ill and he wants to leave before his extension expires and before we file AOS Me and my husband got married feb 4th, his father has gotten ill and he needs to leave and he wants to leave USA... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Apr 24, 2017

This is unfortunate. It can take three to four months, perhaps longer, before he may secure an advanced parole document to travel. It can take a year or more to return with an immigrant visa through the U. S. Embassy in Algeria. He must process through the USCIS, then then National Visa Center,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: Need to apply for my wife for a green card. Does she has to go to the border

I am thinking of getting marry next year but she is ilegal

Kyndra L Milder Esq.
Kyndra L Milder Esq. answered on Dec 20, 2016

The first question is: What is your status? Whether you can sponsor your wife and the process for her immigration depends on your status. I suggest you contact an experienced immigration attorney near you and discuss your specific details so that the attorney can advice you of the alternatives.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: My husband was deported, need to file for waiver 601. How can i prove hardship? and be successful to get it approved

My husband was deported in 2015 and got the 10 year bar and has 2 DUIS. Im a US Citizen and we are now married.

I know we will have to file I-212 as well as I-601 , I know I have to prove hardship but if the only thing I can prove is probably a mental health problem would that be enough to... Read more »

Daniel Martin Hartzman, Esq.
Daniel Martin Hartzman, Esq. answered on Oct 27, 2016

Without knowing more about your individual situation there is not enough information to determine whether or not you have enough hardship for a waiver to be approved. Waivers are extremely complex and difficult. I would strongly suggest working with an immigration attorney to prepare the waiver.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: Wonder if I qualified for the U visa I felt working hurt my self but my boss made me lied about it.

I was working for a painting company so one day working with the boss in a house I felt from a 24 feet extension ladder. my boss didn't want to hold the ladder cause he decide to make a call sitting on a garden chair to look at me working and talk on the phone at the same time ,so I felt he... Read more »

Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Feb 25, 2016

This is a complicated situation, the best option would be contact an immigration attorney to discuss this issue in private. You should not post this much information about your case online, it may be used against you. Many immigration attorneys including me offer free consultations, make use of the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: I am looking for an low cost Immigration attorney that can help me with my green card...
Camlinh Nguyen Rogers
Camlinh Nguyen Rogers answered on Feb 21, 2016

Please complete the contact form at to learn our fee and decide if it is reasonable for you. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: Hi, I have a question regarding a child passport.

I have joint custody of my son (he is 8) with his paternal grandparents. They want to renew his passport to travel to Florida. However, he lives in Ontario Canada and although I lived there for years, I recently moved back to the US because I can't work etc in Canada. I am not there to sign... Read more »

Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Jan 29, 2016

We have to see the complete agreement before we can advise you on this matter. Just going by the facts you have provided there seems to be no problem with it but there may be something mentioned in the agreement that you have not disclosed here which might cause a problem for you. I suggest talking... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: With a K1 visa, my fiance got me pregnant and we're not married. He says it is not his baby. What can I do?

Arrived in the US October 1. Baby due is on July 2016 (next year). I-94 expires end of this month (Dec., 2015). Fiance has drug issues that is why the wedding was postponed until it all just got more worse. Fiance keeps reiterating he is not spending another dime for this situation. What are my... Read more »

Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Dec 18, 2015

If you are on a fiance visa you are supposed to get married within 90 days, if you fiance doesn't want to marry you anymore you will have to go back to your country. If you overstay you might be having problems entering the US again. For the problems related to the baby I suggest you talk to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: My mom is a E2 visa holder and I am 16 yrs old Junior at high school. Is there any ways that I can get a work permit?

I have been searching a lot about Visa and if there are any ways that I can get a green card so then I can go into U.S. Airforce to serve in the Military but I cannot get any answers based on internet and I cannot find information about how to apply something and to contact lawyers. For now, I want... Read more »

Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Sep 29, 2015

You need to talk to an immigration attorney, you will not be able to get a green card already but your mother will be able to get you a visa. Consult with an attorney as soon as you can. All the best.

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.