Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Sexual Harassment legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
South Carolina Sexual Harassment Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Personal Injury, Sexual Harassment and Civil Litigation for South Carolina on
Q: What is the code/statute or provision that sexual assault is filed under for civil lawsuits?

The sexual assault happened on a college campus but I don’t want to only file a title because my college covers them up.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 8, 2024

In South Carolina, civil lawsuits related to sexual assault can be filed under various legal theories, depending on the specific circumstances of the case. Some common legal grounds for such lawsuits include:

1. Assault and Battery: South Carolina Code Ann. § 15-3-550 provides a three-year...
View More

Q: I quit job over harassment/illegal treatment is there a way to ask owner for severance w/o it being blackmail/extortion?

Been working at a place for over a decade. Many things have happened over that time, some addressed with management. Sexual harassment, threats of violence, refusal to pay overtime, sharing medical information with subordinates, firing other employees for refusing to work sick etc. The owner... View More

Jeremy R. Summerlin
Jeremy R. Summerlin
answered on May 22, 2020

You should speak with an employment lawyer in your area. He or she can review your situation and provide some guidance on the strength of any legal claims you might have, which will aid you (or the lawyer) in making a demand for severance.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Sexual Harassment for South Carolina on
Q: what would the charges be if a 17 year old is raped by three college students? victim was intoxicated before the assault

marijuana was involved, but it was the victims.

Stephen Grooms
Stephen Grooms
answered on Feb 24, 2020

In South Carolina age 17 is considered to be an adult in terms of engaging in sexual activity so her age alone will not result in a potential criminal charge, but if she was voluntarily intoxicated to the point of being "mentally defective, mentally incapacitated, or physically helpless"... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Criminal Law and Sexual Harassment for South Carolina on
Q: If a person with student visa F1 in USA proved guilty in Harassment Second Degree Case, what is his punishment?

Will he get deported to his home country? And will he be expelled from the university? He asked a girl to date and continuously tried to pursue her even after she refused. So, that girl put him in Harassment Second Degree case.

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
answered on Aug 29, 2018

It depends on the wording of the statute under which he was convicted, especially if the statute involves any type of physical harm. To know for sure, he’d need to consult with an immigration attorney familiar with the criminal statute under which the individual was found guilty.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Employment Discrimination and Sexual Harassment for South Carolina on
Q: I was terminated after reporting sexual harassment how do I find a free consultation attorney or payment once settled
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Sep 2, 2016

Contact a member of the South Carolina Trial Lawyers who handles employment issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.