Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Ohio Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Probate for Ohio on
Q: I lived with my fiancé for 17 years. We ran a business together out of the house for the last 11 years. She died.

She left the house to her sister. I knew that. However, they took the business name and accounts and took control of the business PO Box and all incoming checks and entered them into probate in Greene Co. Ohio. I subsequently had to file all necessary paperwork and obtain a new federal EIM and new... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Jul 19, 2021

If there is an operating agreement or partnership agreement for the company, you could make a claim for your share of the ownership. If any of your personal property was removed from the house, you could make a claim for return of that. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Ohio on
Q: Can I be evicted during covid
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Jun 7, 2021

Yes, a tenant can be evicted. The CDC imposed a moratorium, but only for non-payment of rent - not for other reasons. That expires on June 30,2021, but some courts have ruled that it is unconstitutional. So tenants can be evicted. Check with your local court.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: I bought a car from a private person paid stated down payment and was given a month to pay final payment and a bill of

Sale stated such. 5 days later previous owner borrowed stated vehicle to go to the store but never brought it back and stated that changed there mind that they would just give the down payment back when they get paid. What do I do to get it back? Or can I? I live in Ohio.

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on May 5, 2020

If you still want the car, you will have to sue seller for breach of contract. That process will take several months, and OH court activity is currently suspended because of the virus lockdown. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local litigation attorney to review the situation and advise you.... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Contracts for Ohio on
Q: how do i get my name off a joint loan with ex husband

my name is on a joint loan with ex husband. how do i get my name off. he's ruining my credit by not paying. divorce decree stated he is solely responsible for repayment.

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Apr 29, 2020

You can talk to the lender, but lender likely will not agree to take you off. So the loan would have to be refinanced. If ex won't refinance or pay, then file with the court to have ex held in contempt. Talk to your divorce attorney, or use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local divorce... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Q: I resigned my lease in December last year, I now have barely any hours due to the virus. What are my options?

I just want to move out but my lease says I will owe remainder of the lease? Do I have a leg to stand on here?

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Apr 12, 2020

You'll have to try to work it out with landlord. If you leave, landlord can sue you for rent and make an adverse entry on your credit report. Court activity is suspended in Ohio, so if you stop paying rent, landlord can also file an eviction, but it won't be resolved until after court... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.