COVID-19 Tax Law Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming
  • Washington DC

US Territories

  • Puerto Rico

Show More States

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Tax Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Immigration Law for California on
Q: Does Pandemic Unemployment Income Qualify to be listed as part of adjusted gross income on I-864 Part 6. Line 24.a.b.c.?

In addition to the above question: Most Recent Tax Year refers to 2022, 2nd most recent 2021, 3rd most recent 2020, correct?

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Aug 27, 2023

For the I-864, Affidavit of Support, unemployment income, including Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA), is generally considered as part of your total income and would be part of your adjusted gross income (AGI) as it's reported on your federal tax return. Therefore, it can be listed on... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Tax Law for Wisconsin on
Q: Do refundable tax credits (e.g. EIC) or the ongoing stimulus credits related to COVID-19 count as gross income in WI?

DCF 150 has a broad definition of income and it's not clear if these would count as gross income for either the calculation of child support or any existing order that requires a reconciliation of support based on gross income.

David N. Iancu
David N. Iancu
answered on Mar 29, 2021

I do not believe tax refunds or federal stimulus payments would count as "income" for support calcuation purposes. Government benefits like food stamps, daycare assitsance, etc. typically do not either. This obviously isn't settled law as the stimulus payments are novel.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Tax Law for Michigan on
Q: I’m in a chapter 13 in Michigan. The tax refund portion of my case is silent. Will I get a refund if so how much?

My chapter 13 In Michigan tax refund portion is silent. Will I get a refund? If so how much am I an entitled to keep if this is silent. I really wouldn’t mind them keeping it if it paid my case off faster but this pandemic has put me out of work and I need all of my refund or pretty close to it.... View More

W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
answered on Jan 9, 2021

Your Plan (whether before confirmation or thereafter) can be modified.

Your Plan commonly identifies the source of your funds, current and in the future, that will be used to make payments to the Plan, and routinely, that source is your current and future earnings.

It is at least...
View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Gov & Administrative Law and Tax Law for Georgia on
Q: The December 2020 stimulus checks, Will the state of Georgia garnish those relief funds due to child support arrears?

If those funds are intended for the relief of the financial burdens of the American populus, incurred due to COVID-19. If the state plans to cannibalize those funds, How is this "help" going to due anymore than the last so called "help" for those who we're struggling Pre-COVID?

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
answered on Dec 29, 2020

Yes, the state will take the funds and give them to the custodial parent for child support arrears. The state isn't cannibalizing the funds. The money is owed for child support that should have been paid previously, so that is where the money is going - to help the child.

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law and Social Security for Pennsylvania on
Q: Unrecorded income


Income I made from 1992 to 1994 was not recorded even if I filed my taxes for those years. I contacted my ex-employer and they gave me a confirm letter with my salaries for the years I worked, but the letter is not considered as proof by the social security office. I just dont know... View More

Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm
answered on Nov 15, 2020

If you have copies of your tax returns for those years, I would call the social security administration to see if they could update their records accordingly. If they cannot do it, then this gets to be a harder task. You could contact the IRS (good luck with that these days with their limited... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Elder Law for Texas on
Q: Can a Quitclaim deed be used to take my husband's name off of our second home?

Eight years ago, my husband (now 80 years old) and I (71 years old) bought a second house for our adult daughter to live in. Her disabilities are getting worse and I now live with her to help. My husband lives in our original home a mile away. The increases in property taxes here in Tarrant... View More

Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett
answered on Oct 12, 2020

A quit claim deed does not transfer title.

But a spouse can gift another spouse using either a General Warranty Deed or a Special Warranty Deed, depending on whether the underlying deed is a General Warranty Deed or a Special Warranty Deed.

You do need a lawyer to draft the deed...
View More

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Florida on
Q: Is there a Statute of Limitations on IRS assessing taxes, penalties and interest?

I received a NOTICE CP71D from IRS stating "Annual reminder of balance due taxes for tax year 1995. AMOUNT DUE $33,561.26. No explanation or detail as to what it is for. I paid ALL TAXES, PENALTIES AND INTEREST due for TY 1995 on 7/20/18. I called the IRS collection officer who handled my... View More

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Oct 12, 2020


2. The IRS is on a tear these days trying to collect as much money in taxes as possible because of the severe economic depression caused by the pandemic.

3. Under normal conditions the IRS does not look back more...
View More

View More Answers

5 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Tax Law for California on
Q: Can I do a Bankruptcy for Property Taxes if paying it will cause Financial Burden to family and get a fresh start?

Five years behind waited because I didnt know what to do and pay for it but I understand to pay now but its like cant get a loan due to bad credit not working due to Covid.

Peter Maurice Lively
Peter Maurice Lively
answered on Aug 10, 2020

You can repay real property taxes through a 5 year chapter 13 plan.

You can allow the tax collector to auction the real property to pay the property taxes, so that you don't owe the property taxes individually.

You can NOT keep title to the real property and discharge the...
View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for California on
Q: Do I still pay California income tax if I move to Washington state during pandemic since everyone is remote working?

My company (everything is digital since it's a marketing company) is HQ'd in California but has remote employees in most states. I am moving from CA to Washington state soon to be with family since everyone at my company will be working remote until the pandemic is close over (perhaps... View More

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
answered on Jul 8, 2020

This will create a difficult tax situation for you, and you should hire an accountant to handle your tax returns. First, there is the issue of state income tax. You only pay income tax to one state but you may have 2 states claiming it. The state where the income is earned is the state with the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for California on
Q: Covid-19 act provides assistance to americans who qualify so It is not a tax refund even if IRS is in charge.

this an economic assistance service provided by the Gov . How is that IRS is with holding these monies from debts due to child support. Does it mean that they don't get to have help? Not all fathers are dead beat dads and this is a help for some and a punishment for those in debt for reasons... View More

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Jun 8, 2020

Whoever told you that is wrong.

The recent $1,200 stimulus check (or deposit) everyone was entitled to receive from the IRS was not a free gift. The payments are legally considered as advances on any tax refund the taxpayer recipient might be entitled to at any time in the future....
View More

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Florida on
Q: Do I qualify for the coronavirus-related distributions?

Live in South Florida, fell ill in March with a sore throat, low grade fever, etc.... but didn't meet the criteria to be tested. You had to be hospitalized or 65 or older at that time. I am 55. I self quarantined like the task forced asked us to do. I had just started to work for Instacart... View More

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on May 7, 2020

For starters, I can tell you that if you and your deceased husband filed a joint income tax return for calendar year 2018 or 2019 you each are entitled to receive $1,200. And since your husband was alive when the stimulus legislation was enacted (mid-January), you can keep the $1,200 earmarked for... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Tax Law for Michigan on
Q: My girlfriend's job was shut down temporarily due to coronavirus in Michigan. She got denied unemployment.

She's a part time worker and got denied unemployment benefits because her wages for her highest quarter were just over $3,200 and she needed just over $3,700 to qualify. However, that number from her employer didn't include the tips she received. In order to have reached the $3,700 number... View More

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Apr 8, 2020

I'm sorry for your situation. Your girlfriend may appeal that unemployment agency decision, but unfortunately, that may be a longshot. You are spot-on about the wage issue. And money from extra jobs won't matter. It's the money from the employer you are seeking unemployment from that matters.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Colorado on
Q: What are the penalties for failure to report income? How serious does the IRS pursue these cases?

Over a period of multiple years.

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
answered on Mar 21, 2020

If the person is audited then they can receive up to a 50% penalty depending on whether or not the IRS considers it fraud or not. That is on top of all the other penalties and interest that will also be assessed. I cannot tell you whether or not the IRS will audit a taxpayer without a lot more... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.