Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Brent Bowden
1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Real Estate Law for Washington on
Q: Our lawyer formed three separate LLCs for our three rental buildings, but never put the LLCs on the titles. Concerning?

For our three separate rental buildings, we paid a lawyer to form three separate LLCs. However, those LLCs were never put on the property titles. He never advised us to do so, nor did he advise us to update contracts with our tenants with the new LLC information, so our tenants still write us... Read more »

Brent Bowden
Brent Bowden answered on Mar 6, 2018

From the information provided, it does not seem like the LLCs are doing anything. Ideally, you would want the LLC to own the rental property, to be the landlord in the lease, and to be depositing the rent into the LLC account.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Washington on
Q: Question about: Deed of Trust versus Quit Claim Deed and Tenants in Common.

I owned a home for 16 years, after my divorce I had to refinance to get the ex off the loan. I had a mutual friend (boyfriend) that offered to co-sign on the loan. I had a Tenants in Common contract in place. And, we both signed a Deed of Trust and a Quit Claim Deed at closing. The... Read more »

Brent Bowden
Brent Bowden answered on Mar 6, 2018

It would be very hard to answer this question without knowing more about what his basis is for claiming he owns 50%. Regardless of the strength of his claim, he can certainly try to assert he is entitled to 50%.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Washington on
Q: Trust to protect primary residence?

A friend of mine have real estate in WA state which is our primary residence ..she owns this property free and clear.

She does not have any other property.

I heard that one can create a trust to protect our real estate ..can you shed light on what type of trust she should create?... Read more »

Brent Bowden
Brent Bowden answered on Mar 6, 2018

I think a little more information is necessary to answer this question. Most importantly, what is it that you are hoping to protect the property from?

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Washington on
Q: The estate of my mother (me-only child) is being sued regarding her real estate , there is no estate, what do I do?

My mother passed June 1, 2015, I got served with court papers February 18, 2018 regarding real estate property which she did own but it got foreclosed-- the sherriff's office got involved.(date escapes me right now) Then she rented an apartment for two years but in an out of the hospital and... Read more »

Brent Bowden
Brent Bowden answered on Mar 6, 2018

There is not enough information provided to really answer this question, I would recommend speaking to a probate attorney. They are going to need to know at least whether there was a probate, who the personal representative was, whether this creditor was known or notified of probate, whether there... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Washington on
Q: My roommate passed away, left an 8 year old daughter and no will. Does the guardian have right to assets?

My roommate has passed away and has left behind her 8 year old daughter, whom her father has full custody of. My roommates mother is trying to capitalize on her assets and become the personal representative of her estate. Can she do this? We know that she will not give remaining assets to my... Read more »

Brent Bowden
Brent Bowden answered on Mar 6, 2018

It isn't clear from the question whether the father was still married to your roommate. If he was, he would be first preference for Personal Representative if he wanted to be, but, if not, the mother is likely the first preference. RCW 11.28.120... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.