Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Robert Champion

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Michigan on

Q: My daughter will be turning 18 by the end of the year. Can child support be modified after 18? She'll be living with me

Robert Champion answered on Feb 23, 2016

If she still has not graduated from high school, he will still have to pay child support. If she lives with you 100% of the time, you will be entitled to more child support.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Michigan on

Q: Domestic Violence an child abuse as retaliation to a child custody case.

So my ex claimed I hit her, she called the police, the police came to the residence and took me to the station for approximately 4 hours. I was released and told by the officer that the prosecuter has declined charges and the case was closed. In the next few days, we broke up after she found out i... Read more »

Robert Champion answered on Feb 23, 2016

You need an experienced criminal defense attorney now. The prosecutors determined there is enough for a warrant. An attorney will be able to discuss the details of the case and sequence of events with the prosecutor, and attempt to get the case dismissed.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Michigan on

Q: Who do i notify im moving to michigan frm indiana if ive got joint but not physical custody? Do i need courts ok

My ex and father of our boys told me i had to register with the state of Indiana and get courts approval. And will he have to meet me half way? Its 118miles away.

Robert Champion answered on Feb 23, 2016

Which ever court holds your current custody order will have to approve any move out of state.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Michigan on

Q: I need land transferred from my deceased father into my name. I am his only child.

My father passed away July 12th 2014, i have the deed to the land in Battle Creek Michigan, he also has land in Oxford, Mississippi, I was told to contact a lawyer in my area to get referred about that situation as well. Please help me.

Robert Champion answered on Feb 23, 2016

You will most likely have to open an estate, become the personal representative for the estate, then execute documents to transfer ownership of the land. You should consult with an experienced probate attorney in your area to discuss all the options in detail.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: What to do if I have warrants but don't want to face any jail time because I am pregnant?

Currently 4 months pregnant but have a few warrants out for failure to appear, dwls, and was told disregarding a stop sign. I am VERY nervous about speaking with the magistrate because I'm worried I may have to face jail time. What is the best way to handle this situation? I only owe a little over... Read more »

Robert Champion answered on Feb 23, 2016

You need to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area. They can review your case with you, contact the court and the prosecutor to determine the charges and the warrants. They can also coordinate a time for you to turn yourself in and be arraigned (if this is coordinated, you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Michigan on

Q: The mother of my children refuses to pick kids up in the am when I work thus me almost loosing my job. What can I do

She only has them at the most 8hrs a day and I wanna kno how I can make things more even? Thanks

Robert Champion answered on Aug 8, 2014

First, do you have a Court order stating what time the child must be picked up? If not - you need one. You need a specific time. Then, you need to log the days she is supposed to pick up the child and what time she actually arrives. Once you can document a pattern of her failing to comply with... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Michigan on

Q: Can I let the court know each month my sons father hasn't made his child support payment?

His dad only pays when he is held in contempt of the court should I let the court know each month he hasn't paid and he owes almost 4000?

Robert Champion answered on Apr 30, 2014

Is he ordered to pay support through the Friend of the Court? If yes (since there are contempt hearings, he probably is) - the Court already knows when he pays and how much he is behind. When show cause or contempt hearings are held, make sure you have contact with the FOC and appear. Let them... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Michigan on

Q: I am a us citizen from Michigan, and my partner is a illegal immigrant from Mexico. Are we able to get married?

We are 4months pregnant, he haslived here 7 years and pays taxes,and works.

Robert Champion answered on Apr 30, 2014

You will be able to get married; however, this will not protect him from being deported for being here illegally. You need to contact an immigration attorney immediately to discuss options.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Michigan on

Q: Defendant in divorce case thats been dismissed due to plaintif not entering judgment for divorce in time. Can I file?

Can I file in a differant County. If I do can the dismissed cased be re-opened after I already filed?

Robert Champion answered on Apr 29, 2014

You can file for divorce - and you can file in the County that you live in (if you have lived there longer than 10 days). On the Summons, it will ask if there have been any previous actions - you will need to list the case number, court and judge of the case that was dismissed.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Michigan on

Q: At what age will the family court system listen to a child's preference of parent to live with?

Robert Champion answered on Apr 29, 2014

Typically when the child is older than 12, they can be interviewed and express a preference in a custody case. This preference will not be revealed, and is just one of the 12 factors considered in a custody determination. Here is a Friend of the Court brochure detailing all of the custody... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Michigan on

Q: How can i only be responsible for areages for back child suport when my kids grandmother had temp custody of my kids ?

Me and her was both absent parents at the time i was in jail and she bounced around from place to place and she owes nothing i owe 15000

Robert Champion answered on Apr 29, 2014

There must have been a child support order in place at the time, stating that you must pay support. Unless you file a motion to have that amended, the amount will continue to increase.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.