Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Admiralty / Maritime legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Washington Admiralty / Maritime Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime and Civil Litigation for Washington on
Q: Can I sue a marina that gave my boat to the previous owner?

The marina claimed that the title I just received from the state was counterfeit and blocked my access to getting the boat in the water or on a trailer and then put it on either the water or a trailer for the previous owner effectively stealing my $40,000 yacht

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Nov 2, 2023

Yes, you may be able to sue a marina that gave your boat to the previous owner. Under Washington law, a marina has a duty to protect the property of its customers. If the marina breached this duty by giving your boat to the previous owner, you may be able to recover damages for the loss of your... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Admiralty / Maritime and Business Law for Washington on
Q: Can a captain charge deckhands for gear/supplies as he deems fit?

Normal deductions are food/fuel. The following are extra.

2 examples.

A captain from another boat needs to borrow a grapple hook. With the captains permission a deckhand takes the hook to the other boat and helps with the task. The hook is accidentally left on the other boat and... View More

Brent Bowden
Brent Bowden
answered on Mar 27, 2023

I think the answer depends on how the crew is being paid. It is also potentially not a WA answer if the work is being done in Alaska.

In WA, an employer cannot charge an employee for broke/lost equipment unless it was an intentional or dishonest act that caused it to be lost/broken. I...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Law and Admiralty / Maritime for Washington on
Q: Can it be construed as threatening to tell someone if they do not pay you what they owe you you will take them to court?

Basically my old boss owes me decent amount of money. He has no intention of paying it. I don’t want to have to go through the legal process.

If I were to sit down with him and basically tell him

“So you owe xxxx. You know you do. I know you do. I don’t want to have to make... View More

Brad S Kane
Brad S Kane
answered on Mar 22, 2023

Threatening to take someone to court if they do not pay a legitimate debt is legal.

Threatening someone with violence if they do not pay a debt is NOT legal.

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Washington on
Q: I'm trying to find whom discharged admiralty bonds

I have someone locked up that wants to discharge his admiralty bonds

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Oct 11, 2021

Your question remains open for three weeks, and you may be losing valuable time awaiting a response here. You could reach out to maritime law firms in the Washington area (see the tab above - Find a Lawyer) to discuss. An attorney may want to know more about the events giving rise to any... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Admiralty / Maritime for Washington on
Q: What is the proper way to go about transferring a stimulus relief payment that was issued to the wrong person?

My client is a fisherman and owner of a boat/company. He went on a temporary medical leave and transferred the name on his business permit to a long term employee. The employee subsequently filed an application for the seafood trade relief program. He obtained a near $18,000 check from the USDA,... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on May 14, 2021

I'm sorry your question remains open for three weeks. At this point, you could reach out to tax attorneys in Washington State. There's a link above (Find-a-Lawyer), or you could search online on your own. Maritime attorneys aren't likely to know about the issues you raise - a tax... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.