Stockbroker Fraud Questions & Answers by State

Stockbroker Fraud Questions & Answers

Q: I need to remove a trustee that has used the trust for her own personal gain. In fact she made changes to the original.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law, Probate and Stockbroker Fraud for Oklahoma on
Answered on Apr 4, 2019
Kyle Persaud's answer
File an action in court to remove the trustee.

Look at the wording in the trust. Does it say that the "situs" of the trust is in a certain state? If so, file the action in that state.

The wording of the trust may also specify in which state a trust action must be filed. If that language is in there, file in that state.

Q: I have a question concerning a Ponzi scheme and the subsequent trust liquidation reimbursement(s).

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for New York on
Answered on Apr 3, 2019
Bruce Alexander Minnick's answer
If I am reading your interesting question correctly, some state and/or federal law enforcement agencies have already shut down the Ponzi scheme that bilked you out of a substantial amount of money and has set up a liquidation trust that is selling off the criminal's assets; and so you are just now starting to receive periodic payments from the trust; is that right? If so. your question appears to be one of timing, i.e., how can you speed up the repayment process; right?

Answer: There...

Q: If an individual acquires property by fraud and the real owner was unable to locate or recover who is the true owner

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Stockbroker Fraud for Missouri on
Answered on Jan 9, 2019
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum's answer
If the son had the father's power of attorney, son had a fiduciary duty to act in father's best interest. Questions like this usually come down to what is provable in court and the credibility of the witnesses.

Q: about a stock purchased

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Banking, Collections and Stockbroker Fraud for New York on
Answered on Jan 2, 2019
Michael David Siegel's answer
It sounds like you were scammed. Call the Securities and Exchange Commission enforcement office and the FBI. Your bank has nothing to do with this. They just sent a wire to a place you ordered. Am I missing something? The "company" you are dealing with likely does not really exist in a way a civil lawsuit would lead to recovery.

Q: I believe my broker is defrauding me and I suspect that other clients are being similarly defrauded. How do I contact

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for Florida on
Answered on Dec 12, 2018
Mitchell Feldman's answer
You obtain the assistance of a lawyer to review the claims and he or she will assist in this regard if there is a claim to be brought. I would not worry about a class let’s start with what happened to you and whether there is a chance for recovery or a claim against the broker at issue. If there’s a class action generally you cannot profit from the Harm or injuries to others so although you would potential he be awarded A service award Consult a lawyer and get legal advice on whether there...

Q: I recently learned my stockbroker has been sued in the past and he never disclosed this. When I confronted him, he told

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for Illinois on
Answered on Nov 19, 2018
Alex Schmidt's answer
Whether a financial advisor registered with FINRA must report to his broker dealer or disclose on his brokercheck when they have” been sued” depends on 2 things:

1. The total settlement amount and whether the registered person was involved in an alleged sales practice violation

2. What the nature of your stockbrokers lawsuit consisted of?

Much will depend on what the broker was being sued for. Whether named in the caption of the lawsuit or not, the registered person...

Q: What does 'churning' mean in the context of investment fraud?

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for New York on
Answered on Nov 12, 2018
Alex Schmidt's answer
Churning in connection with investment fraud is simply when a customers investment advisor generates a high amount of trading activity in the customers investment account in order to collect more commissions. Churning is most commonly measured by checking the turnover ratio of the investment account. This formula measures the amount of trades in the investment account in a given time period relative to the total amount of assets being managed by the investment advisor. Churning is a violation...

Q: My stockbroker was part of a Ponzi scheme and he subsequently filed for bankruptcy. Can I still recover money I lost

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for New York on
Answered on Oct 29, 2018
Alex Schmidt's answer
Even if your stockbroker has filed for bankruptcy you may still be able to recover investment assets lost in connection with the Ponzi scheme. If your stockbroker was licensed with a registered broker dealer then a FINRA arbitration could be commenced against the broker dealer and recovery of your lost investment assets could be made through that entity. If your stockbroker was operating as an independent advisor then recovery can be a little more of an issue. Much will depend on affiliations...

Q: What agency would I complain to about the way my stockbroker is handling my account? I'm not sure if it's legal.

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for Illinois on
Answered on Oct 25, 2018
Alex Schmidt's answer
If you feel your investment account is being mismanaged you can report this to Financial Industry Regulatory Authority or ("FINRA"). This self-regulatory organization or ("SRO") oversees brokerdealers and sets compliance rules by which they must act. FINRA is where customer complaints against broker dealers for any type of misconduct are filed and FINRA rules and procedures set the terms by which they are adjudicated. The manner in which your complaint will be handled will really depend on the...

Q: I'm trying to figure out if my "financial planner"

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for New York on
Answered on Oct 12, 2018
Alex Schmidt's answer
If your "financial planner" is a stockbroker who sells and markets stocks, bonds or other securities products, the easiest way to assess their certifications is checking the FINRA platform Brokercheck. Simply type in the brokers name and you will see what certifications the broker or "financial planner" has under the "Examinations" section of the platform. This will tell you if the financial planner has a Series 7 license which permits someone to sell or market securities products. Brokercheck...

Q: I asked for documentation/filings from the

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for Illinois on
Answered on Oct 5, 2018
Alex Schmidt's answer
If you have the name of the company you can simply go onto the SEC platform known as EDGAR and enter the name of the company or its ticker. This SEC platform will contain a trove of data on the company at issue. As for the broker there is no regulation that I am aware of that mandates a stock broker to hand over filings covering a company. If you purchased a new publicly traded security then the broker is obligated to provide a prospectus covering the security. Of course, as a matter of good...

Q: Do I have a claim for if there was also a general downturn in the market when I lost money?

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for New York on
Answered on Sep 14, 2018
Alex Schmidt's answer
You absolutely may still have a stockbroker fraud claim if their was a market downturn. Much will depend on the violation that you are alleging occurred whether it be fraud, misrepresentation, unsuitability or any number of potential violations. Your investment losses and whether you have sustained any are of course essential. Your financial profile and investment objectives which were stated to your financial advisor must also be considered. After the mass market loss following the Great...

Q: I've heard the rules are changing in protecting

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for Illinois on
Answered on Sep 14, 2018
Alex Schmidt's answer
There are rules in place protecting you against bad or unsuitable investments. FINRA suitability rules for instance require that any investment recommendation made by a broker to an investor must be in line with investors stated financial profile and objectives. What I think you might be referencing in terms of a rule change or what a broker has to tell you is the Department of Labor (DOL) Fiduciary Rule which was recently overturned by a Federal Court and is no longer being pushed by the Trump...

Q: If the stockbroker didn't force you to buy the stock, but did talk it up

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for New York on
Answered on Aug 23, 2018
Alex Schmidt's answer
As a former Series 7 and 66 stockbroker I can attest to having personally "talked up" many different securities. Whether there is a cause of action depends on what you mean by "talked up". If the stock broker mispresented the issue or provided false information concerning the stock there would be grounds for a fraud claim against the broker. There may also be grounds for a claim if the stock broker related the stock back to your financial profile. For instance, if the stock broker claimed the...

Q: How often are brokers supposed to contact clients? Is it mandated in any way?

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for Illinois on
Answered on Aug 23, 2018
Alex Schmidt's answer
Whether a client needs to be contacted really depends on the context concerning the question. If the investment account is a non-discretionary account then the broker has to contact the client prior to each trade being entered. If the account is a managed account where the broker has received discretionary trading authority from the client there is no requirement to contact the client prior to entering trades or changing a client’s overall asset allocation. This does not mean a broker in a...

Q: Are brokers required to tell me any information or notify me before buying stocks?

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for Texas on
Answered on Jul 17, 2018
Tracy Stoneman's answer
Not only must a stockbroker talk to a client immediately before each trade, the broker must go over pertinent information, such as the price, number of shares, pros and cons, etc. It is to be a detailed conversation. The only exception is if you gave your broker discretion to make trades without talking to you, but most folks don't do that. I hope that helps you.

Q: I need advice about deposits to hold apartments during application process and the proper documentation procedures.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Stockbroker Fraud and Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Answered on Jun 9, 2018
Elaine Shay's answer
The law varies between states but generally the terms of the contract (deposit agreement) control the rights of the parties. You state that the deposit agreement does not contain language stating the deposit would be nonrefundable but you haven't said it states the deposit would be returnable. If either party could back out of the agreement without any consequence, what was the deposit intended to secure?

In NYC if you were unable to resolve this type of dispute, you could commence a...

Q: Is it realtor fraud when realtor overprices a home in favor of the seller due to relationship with seller?

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for Iowa on
Answered on May 8, 2018
Erik Steven Fisk's answer
Your question is ridiculous. You don't claim "fraud" to argue a house is priced too high. If the price is too high, don't buy it.

Q: can a felon have his conviction removed from his records without having the crime dismissed?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Stockbroker Fraud for Virginia on
Answered on May 6, 2018
Steve Miyares' answer
Not in Virginia. If you were convicted of the offense in Virginia, then the conviction is permanent and can not be removered or expunged from your criminal record.

Q: My broker gave me information about my holdings that turned out to be false. If I hadn't relied on his word, I would

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for Illinois on
Answered on May 2, 2018
Tracy Stoneman's answer
You bet you can. That's called fraud and negligence and allows you to recover your losses. However, the strength of your case will depend on the answers to many other questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.