Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
North Dakota Employment Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for North Dakota on
Q: How do I handle harrassment in the work place when it is not considered discrimination?

I am a white, single, gay female. I have no reason to be discriminated against (my employers don't care about me being gay). But that doesn't change the fact that they have been singling me out, holding me to different standards compared to my co workers. I've reported multiple... Read more »

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Jan 27, 2021

There is not a lot you can do about verbal harassment that is not based upon your membership in a protected class, aside from reporting it to your supervisor and Human Resources. However, if you are experiencing lasting health complications as a result of COVID, you may be eligible for... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Health Care Law for North Dakota on
Q: What can I do about harrassment in the workplace? HR and state are not doing anything.

I work for a healthcare company and they have singled me out more than once, along with other CNAs, threatened to fire me over being sick and having car problems. And said if I was sick one more time or late due to car problems I would be fired.

Kyle Anderson
Kyle Anderson answered on Jan 21, 2021

Hello, more information is needed here. General sickness is not protected under any federal law. If your illness is caused by a condition that qualifies as a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you may have some level of protection. There is no protection for car issues. I would... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for North Dakota on
Q: If I signed a non compete contract for a business in Minnesota, is it still valid if I move to North Dakota?
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jan 16, 2019

Firstly, some noncompete contracts are invalid as a matter of law and not worth the paper they’re written on. Secondly, no attorney can answer this question without actually seeing the contract. If I were you, I would bring the contract to an attorney, pay them a basic fee to review and issue you... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Employment Law for North Dakota on
Q: Is a k9 sniff sufficient probable cause to search a stopped vehicle
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Mar 26, 2018

Do not post any additional information about your case online. You do not want to reveal enough information for the police to identify you. Instead, contact a criminal defense lawyer for help. Many attorneys like myself offer free consultations. The answer to your question depends on the particular... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for North Dakota on
Q: I recently quit my job and filled out separation papers on my last day. My former boss apparently shared my answers.

I was texting with a former co-worker about it later that night and he said through text that they had openly shared some of my written answers with other employees and were laughing about what I had said. This is confidential information, right? Do I have any kind of case here?

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Mar 8, 2018

Let's say that you hypothetically had a case of action due to some form of breach of confidentiality claim - the question to ask is what that case would be worth. The best way to answer that question is to determine how sensitive the information was and whether it was subject to some form of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for North Dakota on
Q: how do I collect permanant disability payments
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Dec 20, 2017

You retain a workers' compensation attorney.

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation and Car Accidents for North Dakota on
Q: I have a work comp case in Nd. Will there be a cash settlement after I have recovered from my broken back or maybe not
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Dec 19, 2017

There is no way to predict the outcome of your case. You should hire a lawyer.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.