North Dakota Small Claims Questions & Answers

Q: I received a letter in the mail today that threatened legal action for a debt.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Legal Malpractice, Small Claims and Bankruptcy for North Dakota on
Answered on Feb 19, 2019
Timothy Denison's answer
If the MD stature is 3 years, then the statute has expired and they cannot sue you.

Q: I loaned some sound equipment to an acquaintance. I am ready to have it back, but Ive been told it is now an hours driv

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for North Dakota on
Answered on May 16, 2018
Lucas Wynne's answer
Yes, tell him that you want your equipment back and give him a reasonable time limit (ten days, thirty days, etc.) to return it back to you. Inform him that you will report it has been stolen if he fails to return the equipment.

Q: I was served a summons/complaint. It was NOT filed with the court. I answered and challenged the debt. What happens now?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for North Dakota on
Answered on Jan 20, 2018
Lucas Wynne's answer
Call an attorney who deals with this type of case. They do not have to file immediately.

Q: Is there a law in the state of ND for purchasing a used vehicle and it needs a new engine after one week of purchasing?

1 Answer | Asked in Lemon Law and Small Claims for North Dakota on
Answered on Jan 5, 2018
Lucas Wynne's answer
You may or may not have a warranty claim. The answer is dependent on the conditions of the sale. I would contact an attorney who deals in this type of claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.