Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Oklahoma Copyright Questions & Answers

Q: decorating false fingernail to sell, can a provisional patent application be filed, for process, false fingernail use

Kevin E. Flynn answered on Jul 10, 2019

You can file a provisional patent application and say patent pending for a year but that may not be a long-term fix. In order for the patent process to be valuable to you, you need to get claims in a non-provisional application through the examination process. You will need to show that what you... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Copyright for Oklahoma on

Q: They is a woman that is flirt with a married man that is my husband

Me and my husband have two kids and this woman that has been hitting on my husband she dose not care

Kyle Persaud answered on May 28, 2019

If all that this woman is doing is flirting with your husband, that's not illegal.

3 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Criminal Law and Family Law for Oklahoma on

Q: Is it legal for me to submit an email conversation, that occurred between two other parties, in a request to produce?


Email conversation occurred between my ex (person 1) and a girl I was dating (person2).

I am in discovery phase with person 1. It is a modification of custody case.

Person 2 forwarded me the emails. With permission to use them. Person 2 also indicated in the emails,... Read more »

Pete David Louden answered on Nov 18, 2017

Show the documents to your attorney. After looking at what you have, they will be able to tell you if the emails are responsive to the discovery question.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Trademark for Oklahoma on

Q: I am having a logo created for a startup company and I find a image on google that I want it to look exactly like...

Is that okay?

Will Blackton answered on Aug 10, 2017

It is not legally permissible to have someone recreate an image exactly or copy an image directly to use for your logo. Contact the artist who created the image that you want to use and see if you can purchase the rights to use that image for your logo.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Oklahoma on

Q: Does copyright infringement apply to lyrics if they are translated into a different language and altered mostly?

I wanted to know if infringement applied to lyrics that are translated to a different language and altered more than the translated words with the same meaning. For example, if a line in Korean hangul said "Hajimalgul geuraessuh mo reunchuk haebuhligul"

Which translates in English to "I... Read more »

Benton R Patterson III answered on Aug 8, 2017

You have likely created a derivative work, a work that is based on one or more previous works. The copyright owner has the exclusive right to prepare derivative works. By doing so, you likely infringe the songwriter's copyright.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Oklahoma on

Q: Is it legal to 3D Model off a patent?

Is it legal to 3D Model off a patent, especially if it's expired?

Is it a copyright or trademark infringement if i share pics of the 3D model?

Peter D. Mlynek answered on Aug 4, 2017

If a patent is expired, then whatever is in the patent is generally considered in public domain, meaning, that anyone should be able to use it. There may be some weird exception to this, but that is the whole idea behind patents: the inventor discloses the invention to the society, and return the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Employment Law and Communications Law for Oklahoma on

Q: Can a company publish my article in their yearly publication after firing me, without crediting me or permission?

I was employed by a destination marketing organization. I was terminated because I believe they wanted to hire someone who required a much lower salary, but they blamed performance. I did not underperform, in fact, much of what I accomplished there is still benefiting them. For example, I wrote an... Read more »

Will Blackton answered on Feb 22, 2017

I'm only going to address the portion of your question relating to copyright law, that is: can your former employer legally publish your article without crediting you? Yes, almost certainly.

This is known as "work for hire." In the case of a work made for hire, copyright law provides that...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Oklahoma on

Q: Copyright Infringement. I am an Etsy seller, I was contacted by another shop claiming to own a copyright.

The other Etsy owner has a copyright titled "Bathroom Rules" and has been contacting any Etsy seller with a listing with the same title. I was told that she could only copyright her overall image, because the list is made of up of common phrases such as "hang up your towel" or "wash your hands".... Read more »

Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Mar 3, 2016

First, she would have to have already registered the work. You might ask her for a copy of the registration so you can see how close it is. Likely she has not registered, but if she has, then sit down with a local copyright attorney to examine how close the works are.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Oklahoma on

Q: Can i get sued for downloading a torrent file?

Can i get sued for downloading a movie from a torrent

Vincent Thomas Lyon answered on Apr 22, 2011

Short answer is yes.

In the past, MPAA has gone after people who host torrents because they are easier to find and sue, but there's nothing in the law preventing them from suing the downloaders as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.