Virginia International Law Questions & Answers

Q: I ordered something worth $110 online through a website from someone in Austrailia and I'm living in the USA. How can.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, International Law and Small Claims for Virginia on
Answered on Mar 20, 2019
Timur Akpinar's answer
Contact the bank or institution issuing the card to see if they have provisions for resolving or adjudicating disputes.

Tim Akpinar

Q: Is a "bank guarantee" necessary to sell a bar of gold in Ghana?

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Business Law, Consumer Law and International Law for Virginia on
Answered on Nov 20, 2017
Richard Sternberg's answer
She would be wise to consult a lawyer in Ghana before proceedings. May countries have at many times in history restricted the sale of gold, both to currency security and for fraud prevention. It is not at all unimaginable that Ghana retains such a legal structure. She might prefer to sell the gold in places like the US, were no guarantee is required. She is required to report any transaction(s) in gold with a value in excess of $10,000, including importing or exporting from the country. Once...

Q: Im in f-1 status now I want to apply green card as my brother is a citizen here.How long it will take to get Greencard

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 19, 2016
Shan Dimitris Potts' answer
Which country are you from? Getting a green card through your brother comes under the category F4 (Family visa). Go to the visa bulletin and check what is the current priority date for your country and you will get an idea of how long it might take. Many immigration attorneys including me offer free consultations, make use of the consultations and talk to an attorney to help you with this if you are not aware of visa bulletins and priority dates. All the best.

-Shan Potts


Q: International student get assualted by a person who tried to rob me

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Personal Injury, International Law and Medical Malpractice for Virginia on
Answered on Nov 20, 2015
Shan Dimitris Potts' answer

Sorry about the incident, you might be able to apply for a U visa if you meet certain requirements. However more facts and information is needed, you should immediately contact an immigration attorney as this could be a huge positive for you to get a green card through the U visa. All the best.

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.