COVID-19 Nevada Q&A by Practice Area

  • Admiralty / Maritime
  • Adoption
  • Agricultural Law
  • Animal / Dog Law
  • Antitrust
  • Appeals / Appellate Law
  • Arbitration / Mediation Law
  • Banking
  • Business Formation
  • Business Law
  • Cannabis & Marijuana Law
  • Car Accidents
  • Child Custody
  • Child Support
  • Civil Litigation
  • Civil Rights
  • Collections
  • Communications Law
  • Constitutional Law
  • Construction Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Education Law
  • Elder Law
  • Election Law
  • Employment Discrimination
  • Energy, Oil and Gas
  • Entertainment / Sports
  • Environmental
  • Federal Crimes
  • Gaming
  • Gov & Administrative Law
  • Government Contracts
  • Health Care Law
  • Identity Theft
  • Insurance Bad Faith
  • Insurance Defense
  • Intellectual Property
  • International Law
  • Internet Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • Land Use & Zoning
  • Landlord - Tenant
  • Legal Malpractice
  • Lemon Law
  • Libel & Slander
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Mergers & Acquisitions
  • Military Law
  • Municipal Law
  • Native American Law
  • Nursing Home Abuse
  • Patents (Intellectual Property)
  • Probate
  • Public Benefits
  • Securities Law
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Small Claims
  • Social Security
  • Stockbroker Fraud
  • Trademark
  • Uncategorized
  • White Collar Crime
  • Wrongful Death

Show More Practice Areas »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Nevada Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Products Liability, Identity Theft, Intellectual Property and Small Claims for Nevada on
Q: Social Security Administration lost my passports when sending us back through USPS without insurance. Possible to claim?

I applied for my 3-yr old daughter's social security number for her health insurance. Because of Covid, SSA required us to submit the original copies of her and my passports at their office. Once my daughter was approved of the SSN, the SSA office sent us back the passports through uninsured... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 11, 2021

You should make a report to the post office. Take your copy of that report and make a claim to Social Security. They may want to you reapply for your daughter's passport so they have the copy of the bills. They say no, talk to your congressperson & Senators--each has a staff member to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Nevada on
Q: Hair stylist friend fired without being told why she is being fired.

A friend of mine who is a hair stylist was recently fired from her job without being told why, she got COVID a few months back and when she returned everyone was mad at her and wanted her fired, she attempted per her boss to fix the issue and noone would talk to her, now she was given a notice is... Read more »

Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert answered on May 11, 2021

Unfortunately, employers are not required to provide a reason for termination in at-will employment states. However, if your friend suspects she was fired because she had COVID or for a discriminatory reason (i.e. based on race, sex, age, disability, or religion), then she should consult a Nevada... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Divorce for Nevada on
Q: As a witness in family court, can I listen to other witnesses before I give my testimony. I want them to know I’m listen

I want other witnesses to see me there listening. Not to change my own testimony or get the story straight. I feel I have the legal right to since it’s public

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Apr 29, 2021

It has been my experience, prior to COVID, that it was really up to the individual judges if they allowed the witnesses all in the courtroom at the same time. most of the time I found that it was one witness in the courtroom at one time. Since COVID, most appearances are virtual and processes are... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Nevada on
Q: I have Covid court Oder say I have to send kids back to other parent will I get in trouble if I don’t ?
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Feb 15, 2021

I always advise my clients to adhere to the court order as closely as possible to avoid punishment due to court order violations. Additionally, I always encourage my clients to communicate openly with the other party and to discuss matters such as these amicably, before resorting to court... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Nevada on
Q: I work for amazon i started as a fulltime white badge and got converted to blue badge they changed my hire date

I started 11/2019 and got converted 06/2020 i was always a full time employee with no breaks. They changed my hire date to the day i was converted and will not change it back to the actual day i was hired. This has affected many things looking at a new apartment after my divorce when they asked for... Read more »

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Jan 13, 2021

Were you employed with a staffing agency and placed at Amazon prior to June 2020? If so, then you were likely not an employee of Amazon until June 2020. The date you became an employee of Amazon (not the date you were placed to work in Amazon's facility) would be the relevant date for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Nevada on
Q: My family law court case has been postponed 3 times, each time with a 60 day delay, until the next hearing.

Most recently, the judge granted an ex-parte application , without sending me a copy of the application, and without me being heard. How can I object to these delays of Hearing?

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Dec 23, 2020

Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s been fairly common for hearings to be postponed – sometimes even more than once. When a judge rules to postpone a case, it can be due to matters outside the party’s control, as in the case with COVID, or based on the judge’s determination.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Nevada on
Q: Do I have any rights given the fact that you were married in a temple in March 15 but didn’t submit the paperwork

We got married in front of plenty of family and friends we both signed a Ketubah ( Jewish marriage contract ) with 2 witness signatures and the Rabbi we couldn’t file our paper work because of the Corona Virus

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Dec 11, 2020

As long as the couple has a valid Nevada marriage license and the ceremony was performed by a Nevada licensed Officiant with at least one witness, then the marriage is legally recognized. The officiant’s failure to record the marriage documentation within the required 10 days after the ceremony... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Immigration Law for Nevada on
Q: Legal separation, just separation or divorce before Green card interview?

My wife and I got married more than a year ago after dating a little more than two years. We got tired of not being able to be together all the time since I'm Mexican and she is a US citizen. So, We got married because we loved each other and filed the necessary docs to the USCIS with the help... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Dec 3, 2020

I suggest discussing your situation with an experienced Immigration attorney regarding your green card application. As for the divorce, it appears you are on your wife’s timeline as to when the divorce will occur or become final. In Nevada, a spouse cannot delay or refuse a divorce if the other... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Nevada on
Q: Ok kids resident state is nevada Temp custody inndomestic case was filed And no new custody order has been filed sense

And no new custody order has been filed sense so as I understand those temporary custody orders have rained in effectSo now I have allowed the kids to go to visitation for part of the summer and I let them stay for an extended due to the Covid and now a lawsuit is being filed against me by child... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Dec 2, 2020

It is best to respond to the child support lawsuit with a request that child custody also be reevaluated. If child support is awarded, it will be based on how the child custody is arranged. Both the child custody and child support cases should be held in the state where the children have resided... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Nevada on
Q: I was granted temp custody in a tpo case in california. No other custody order was made and nevada became kids resident

I allowed extrnded visitation due to covid and to avoid stress on kids. Husband doesnt allow constant contact now and a child support lawsuit had been filed against me. What do i do? Do i file here in nevada or there in california?

Janice Jacovino
Janice Jacovino answered on Nov 18, 2020

Where to file depends a few factors.

- If you already have an open case then file where you have the open case.

- If you had a prior case that decided custody then you will either need to file in that state or file to domesticate/register your prior order in the new state. Once...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Nevada on
Q: I have 50/50 parental custody with my ex spouse she wants my son to go back to day care Monday I dont think thats a good
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Aug 25, 2020

This situation is a matter of legal custody. While the parents may have 50/50 physical custody and spend equal physical time with the child, when it comes to this type of decision making for the child, these are aspects of legal custody. If the parents have 50/50 legal custody, then any decision... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.