Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Illinois Collections Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation, Collections and Social Security for Illinois on
Q: I'm on SSI Disability can I be garnished by a collection agency about a credit card that I've been unable to pay on?

It's a collection agency who is taking me to court tomorrow via a zoom call. I've not been able to pay on it due to everything going up in price and I live on a very low income and am behind on my water bill and several other bills. I was behind on rent until just recently, over a year... Read more »

Bryan R. Bagdady
Bryan R. Bagdady answered on Jan 26, 2022

Your inability to pay does not stop the entry of judgment. If there is already a judgment and you are up on a post judgment citation or garnishment, you should read and be aware of the exemption provisions of the post judgment code of civil procedure. Specifically, 735 ILCS5/2-1402 states at (b)(1)... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Collections for Illinois on
Q: Can I find out problems with a lawfirm called Blitt and Gaines in Illinois?

I discovered there is a lawsuit, and that they said I was served. I wasn't home. They described a "resident" at my house which is nobody I know. I live alone. How can I find out what other sketchy things this firm is doing or has done?

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Nov 15, 2021

Engage a licensed civil court litigator to do the preliminary inquiries in validity of that service and actual legal standing of that law firm.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Collections and Communications Law for Illinois on
Q: Someone threw a big metal lock at my car and kicked my car and only had to pay a $200 fine and court cost no restitution

The avocet at the court house is new and she said she didn’t have my information only information filed was my old phone number and old last name. She sent me letters but no letter asking me to call her.The avocet wasn’t working there at the time i turned in my information and car estimate so... Read more »

Jane Kim
Jane Kim answered on Oct 24, 2021

Your question is coming up under Illinois although it appears you live in MO. In any event, this will be true in either state, you can file a civil lawsuit to recover your damages, provided the statute of limitations has not run yet. Depending on the amount of damages, you may do so in small claims... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Illinois on
Q: Judgement vs collections question

Defaulted on a bank line of credit. They won a judgement. They are trying to collect in court but they sold the debt to a collection company. Is it legal to double dip?

Bryan R. Bagdady
Bryan R. Bagdady answered on Aug 10, 2021

Selling a judgment is not double dipping. During a post judgment proceeding you will be entitled to a credit for payments you made toward the judgment. From your question it does not appear that you have made any such payments. By selling the judgment the judgment creditor has simply transferred... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation and Collections for Illinois on
Q: If I won monetary judgement and know that the other party will not pay, what is the next step?

I won my case for selling a car with a vehicle sales agreement. The other party did not show. I see lots of things on the docket that I am not sure about. Due Date , satisfied, 851- Judgement, what do these headings mean?

Bryan R. Bagdady
Bryan R. Bagdady answered on Jun 30, 2021

You should reference 735 ILCS 5/2-1401 for post judgment proceedings. Make sure that your order is final and appealable, meaning that it resolves all claims brought against all parties in the action. Assuming that to be the case, you will likely want to file a citation to discover assets, a... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and Bankruptcy for Illinois on
Q: Can a judgement creditor stop the sale of my car?

I am trying to trade in a vehicle that is completely paid off. There is a memorandum of judgement for old credit card debt against me. This debt is only in my name, but the car is owned by both my wife and I. If I apply for a duplicate title, will the state stop the issuance of the title to me? Can... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Dec 9, 2020

Unless there is a judgment lien against the vehicle, it should not affect your transfer snd sale of the vehicle.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Collections for Illinois on
Q: I have a judgement in wisconsin that's around 10 years old I just got an letter that they want to garnish my wages

They have never before this point tried to collect on it they have even sent me letters over the years trying to get me to come get another car thru them I dont have the money to pay them me and my husband dont make that much and we have three kids

Robert Shipley
Robert Shipley answered on Nov 5, 2020

State statutes have provisions by which judgments can be revived. You do not identify if the action is pending in Wisconsin or Illinois. Regardless, I would strongly recommend that you have a consultation with an attorney whose practice is concentrated in consumer law, to review whether the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Support and Collections for Illinois on
Q: Was recently told my father failed to pay child support, I'm 21 now. Can I still sue for back child support?

If I can sue for the back child support what information do I need to do so?

Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell answered on Sep 30, 2020

No. That money was for your mother to help her financially. It was not and never will be your money. But if there is a back child support order, your mother can sue him for it.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Collections and Government Contracts for Illinois on
Q: Do I have to pay union fees if hired by Illinois State University as a parking officer?

I was recently hired by Illinois State University as a parking officer. I received a letter saying I have 30 days from date of hire to join or opt out. However the University contract with the union states they will withhold “fair share” payments from wages regardless of membership. The issue... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jul 31, 2020

Yes. If your salary was negotiated by a union, you have to pay "shop dues" or some other such fee as if you were in the union. So, since you have to pay dues anyway, you should probably join, then you get the benefit of having someone in your corner if there is a problem, such as you... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Collections and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Q: I'm a college student that had a Fake ID confiscated at a bar. Police want to charge me 350, can they?

They sent me mail June of 2019 saying I should pay where I said what are the next steps, then I did not hear from them again till 2 months ago where the officer said he put my papers in the wrong file. I honestly forgot about it and would have paid if they contacted me again but I didn't hear... Read more »

Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink answered on Apr 21, 2020

Possessing a fake ID is a felony offense in Illinois. They do not have to prove that you bought it, just that it is fake and you possessed it. I suggest calling them and explaining to them, that you would have paid it if you heard back and that you are willing to pay the original fine amount.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for Illinois on
Q: Received a summons. However, I'm unemployed and can't afford to pay debt and court fees. Do I have to appear in court?

A collection group had a officer come to my door and serve me a alias summons (did not sign for it though) for a charged off credit card debt. I've been out of work for a long time and have simply run out of money (getting help from family and friends). Since I can't afford to pay the... Read more »

Robert Shipley
Robert Shipley answered on Mar 16, 2020

You should not ignore the summons, because if you do not appear, a judgment can be entered against you. If you are unemployed you may qualify for free legal services. You should contact Legal Aid Chicago, (312) 341-1070 or Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, 312-332-1624. Both are located in downtown... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Collections for Illinois on
Q: Memorandum of Judgement?

I have a judgement against me in a civil suit for credit card debt. They just filed for a Memorandum of Judgement. What does this do for the case going forward?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Mar 9, 2020

They’re asking to court to grant the judgment because there are no material facts in dispute.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Illinois on
Q: I have about $50k in CC debt judgments. What can/will they try to collect from me?

Married, Live in IL, self employed for apx $35k/yr. Part time about $150/wk. Main income comes via 1099 contract work. Part time is a traditional paycheck. Business is service based with no assets and is handled as a disregarded entity for taxes. All debts are in my name only. We own a house that... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Feb 24, 2020

Check the Illinois exemptions and you can determine how much allowance you have for each category. After your exemptions are used, whatever is left over is non-exempt and can be taken.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Illinois on
Q: What kind a lawyer do I look for in collecting unpaid rent? Collection?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 2, 2019

You're correct; they should be able to handle it. If there are unresolved and disputed issues as to the merits of the collection claim, a landlord-tenant attorney would have more insight than other types of attorneys who handle solely general collection matters. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Collections for Illinois on
Q: Hi, I'm a 23 year old male who entered the US with a J-1 Visa and is overstaying. My girlfriend is a US Citizen.

We live in Illinois, and my question is how do we begin the process of obtaining a work permit and a green card.

Also I have an account in collection will that affect anything?

Thank you so much in advance!

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Aug 30, 2019

A J1 visa holder can get married to a US citizen, but there are special rules attached to the J visa, as to whether you can adjust status to get your green card, after marrying your girlfriend. It is best to discuss your options with counsel in a phone consultation.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Illinois on
Q: debt collection

ok i have old balance since 2012 debt with protofollio recovery,i got garnished where lawyer fees and 75$ garnishment fee included so its exceded 15% of my pay check,yet after 7 month of garnishment i got fired,then after a year this protofolio recovery wants to start again with the same balance... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 9, 2019

This question (or rather, these questions) are to complex and convoluted for anyone to make sense out of. I suggest you get someone to help you compose a legible explanation in chronological order, eliminating unnecessary commentary and then post it as a new question(s).

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Traffic Tickets and Collections for Illinois on
Q: What are my rights with municipal red light fine debt harassmen

I have sent my own legal letter and disputed claim. The municipal has a law firm after me. I don't work. I am disabled.

Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink answered on Nov 5, 2018

Law Firm after you? I think you mean the matter has been sent to collections, which means you likely missed your opportunity to dispute the ticket. I suggest contacting the Law Firm and seeing what can be done.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Collections for Illinois on
Q: Hi, if my twins father gets married and buys and sell property under his wife's maiden name while they were married

Will I be able to collect or sue for unpaid child support?

T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky answered on Sep 10, 2018

Regardless of whether your ex buys or sells property, you state you have "unpaid child support." You are entitled to this unpaid child support now.

Let me suggest you contact, the Illinois' Division of Child Support Services, they will pursue several remedies on your behalf....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Bankruptcy and Collections for Illinois on
Q: Am I responsible for my ex's medical bills that were incurred while married to me if he has remarried?

My husband has a lot of medical debt and when we divorced I was going to file bankruptcy to avoid being held liable for his medical debt, but did not. He has since gotten remarried. By Illinois law, since I was married to him when the debt occurred, can the collectors still come after me? Or has it... Read more »

James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg answered on Jul 18, 2018

A collector of medical bills incurred during a marriage can typically go after the people who were married to each other when the bills were incurred, not a later spouse. You should be able to discharge them in bankruptcy. On the other hand, which of you is supposed to pay those debts should have... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.