Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Iowa Juvenile Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Iowa on
Q: Can a 17 and 20 year old date?

I live in Iowa, I’m a 17 year old female and want to date and possibly have sexual relations with a 20 year old male. is this legal?

Gabriel A Watson
Gabriel A Watson answered on Apr 28, 2020

The Age of Consent in Iowa is 16 years old.

In the United States law, the term "Age of Consent" describes the age at which an individual, male or female, is considered legally of age to consent to participation in sexual activity. This means that individuals less than...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law and Sexual Harassment for Iowa on
Q: Is it illegal for an adult to discuss sexual topics with a minor. (Not about doing things. Just the topic its self)

Like say an adult were to discuss a kink for example with a 17 year old. Just a simple topic or discussion. There is no hint of actually wanting to preform such acts one said 17 year old.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 8, 2019

IMO you should forget trying to find out if you can "discuss sexual topics with a minor." Why? Because you are treading into a very dangerous area where most intelligent adults on this side of prison bars do not intentionally go.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Health Care Law, Juvenile Law and Military Law for Iowa on
Q: 14yo boy steals military explosives and tells therapist in Iowa. Does therapist tell? What's her duty?

This is a question for a test (not real life)

Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek answered on Jul 19, 2019

This is a classic test question that has to do with the balance of privacy of patients vs the protection of property/health/life.

To answer this question, see Tarasoff. .

I think that the therapist...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Iowa on
Q: I just turned 17 and my father is constantly threatening to kick me out and its happend before. what are my options?
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
Stephen Douglas Lombardi answered on Oct 4, 2017

Legally none. At least not as you've described the situation. Practically you could try doing what he says. After all isn't he paying the bills.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Iowa on
Q: I am a 17 year old in the state of Iowa. 18 in March. If I ran away would I be forced to come home?

I dropped out of school to work three to two jobs when my mom got sick. Back to a good full time job with $350 a week. Her boyfriend molested me and there wasn't enough evidence to arrest him so he moved back in and I moved out with my grandma. But she is just like my mom. My friends family... Read more »

Stephen Douglas Lombardi
Stephen Douglas Lombardi answered on Oct 4, 2017

You'd better stick with Grandma until you are 18. You may not like Grandma, but so long as her house is safe, secure, warm, you have bed and there is food on the table - do your chores, go to work and re-enroll in school. Dropping out of school is never a wise decision. You have your entire... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Iowa on
Q: Is it legal for a 15 year old boy to have sex with a 13 year old girl with her consent in Iowa?

What charges could be pressed against me or her if it is illegal?

Nicholas A. Sarcone
Nicholas A. Sarcone answered on Feb 23, 2017

No. Sexual Abuse.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Iowa on
Q: My son is 15 and punched a kid in face for calling his friend the N word. Cop charged him with serious assault. what now

Cop brought my kid home said he was honest so he's not taking him to J.D. N citeing him for simple assault cause kid had bump above his eye. . 20 min later cop came back n said he made mistake n has to take him to station and charge him with serious assault. With him being athletic and... Read more »

Nicholas A. Sarcone
Nicholas A. Sarcone answered on Feb 21, 2017

The case will likely be referred to juvenile court services. Juvenile court services has a number of options to keep him out of court or they can refer him to court for prosecution. You need to hire a lawyer and go over all the various possibilities and prepare yourself for the Juvenile Court... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Iowa on
Q: My son is 16 n charged with 2nd degree burglary for kicking in a door while the family was asleep.

He did not enter the home. Is this still burglary??

Nicholas A. Sarcone
Nicholas A. Sarcone answered on Feb 18, 2017

This is a good question which does not necessarily lend itself to an easy answer. I would make the legal argument that he did not enter and therefore could not have committed a burglary. However, if his body crossed the plane of the door while breaking it, a Court may deem that sufficient for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law and Criminal Law for Iowa on
Q: I'm 18 and she is turning 17 can she move in with me at my parents house
Nicholas A. Sarcone
Nicholas A. Sarcone answered on Feb 18, 2017

The answer to your specific question is yes, she can move in with you. The underlying question might be can the two of you engage in sexual activity, legally? The answer is also yes. Iowa Code Section 709.4 (sexual abuse) does not make it a crime for persons of your age to engage in sexual... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Juvenile Law for Iowa on
Q: I live in Iowa and just turned 18. I have a minor bank acct. My dad won't sign over my money that I earned.

I was told that once I turned 18 I could get into my money. My dad is refusing to sign the paper as he's the custodial owner of the account. What can I do?

Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman answered on Jan 30, 2017

There are two issues here: (1) who owns the money, and (2) how do you get it. The money belongs to the child who is now an adult. "Under terms of a state's Uniform Gift to Minors Act or Uniform Transfer to Minors Act, a custodian controls these accounts while the child is a minor. But... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law, Education Law and Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: Can a school official grab the hood of your childs coat and throw them down to the ground causing a head injury?
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
Stephen Douglas Lombardi answered on Nov 5, 2016

They can, but should they, probably not. Of course children seldom tell the entire story or accurately. I would not charge head-strong into the school planning on attacking the teacher. Instead I would suggest asking for a meeting to discuss the situation. I would listen with an open mind,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Communications Law and Juvenile Law for Iowa on
Q: If I am 16 and want to hangout with a guy that is 4 years and 8 months older than me can my parents call the cops on him

Can he go to jail for talking to me when I'm 16 and he's 20

Nicholas Hay
Nicholas Hay answered on Aug 12, 2016

Not likely, as long as you two are not doing anything illegal including him having you out past a city or town curfew, and your parents tell you that you can't leave the house but you do to go hang out with him, it is unlikely he gets arrested for you two simply being in the same vicinity of... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.