Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Dan Nold
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Illinois on
Q: My boyfriend is bipolar and wasn't taking his meds. He ended up assaulting me. Can I work with his lawyer to hel

So my boyfriend is bipolar and can become manic. He ended up assaulting me pretty bad. My family took me to the hospital were I found out I had a broken nose, two black eyes, a chiped tooth and bruises from head to toe. They pressured me to make report which I did but I thought I could drop the... Read more »

Dan Nold
Dan Nold answered on Feb 28, 2021

Victims of domestic violence have rights pursuant to Marsy's Law. Those include the right to hire an attorney and be informed of everything going on in the case and the ability to make a statement to the judge. You should consult with an attorney who represents victims of domestic violence... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Illinois on
Q: If I overdosed and my girlfriend calls 911 aren't we both protected under Good Samaritan act or the immunity act??

I was in a hotel with my girlfriend and a buddy stopped by and has heroin, I take methadone from a clinic, I take to much and overdose, my friend runs and leaves while my gf calls 911... well my "friend" leaves his heroin behind as he flee's cause he says he has warrants... The... Read more »

Dan Nold
Dan Nold answered on Feb 28, 2021

There are certainly defenses like what you are referring to. The facts of the case must fit a very specific fact pattern. You should consult with an attorney to further evaluate this defense and help you defend this charge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.