Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Sonja Aoun
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Virginia on
Q: If I’ve been in recovery and clean off drugs can I get my custody back?

There’s a long history between me and my sons grandmother and she just doesn’t like me and always wanted to take my son from me. Well she filed a petition with the court and the judge gave her temporary legal and physical custody even though I had proof I was clean and in an outpatient program.... Read more »

Sonja Aoun
Sonja Aoun answered on May 28, 2021

It's great that you are taking steps to be and stay sober, and the longer that continues, the better. Courts are looking out for children's best interests, and that means parents with problems need to take steps to address them. That may include individual counseling, drug treatment,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Virginia on
Q: Who do I contact to see if the Court System has processed my final divorce documents? Ex wife’s lawyers filed the docs.

My ex wife’s lawyers created and filed the final divorce documents. I would like to get a copy of it and make sure it has actually been filed and processed. I want to have verification that we are legally divorced.

Sonja Aoun
Sonja Aoun answered on May 4, 2021

Some courts have this information online, but you can also call the Circuit Court clerk's office for the Virginia city or county where the divorce was filed. That's usually where you and/or ex lives.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Virginia on
Q: How can I get a subpoena without a lawyer? May I object to questions on interrogatories due to dress?

How can I get a subpoena without a lawyer?

May I object to questions on interrogatories due to dress? The questions are absolutely placing me under duress and giving him all of the criminal evidence used against him

Sonja Aoun
Sonja Aoun answered on Apr 29, 2021

In some cases, you may request the clerk's office to issue a subpoena for you. The clerks cannot give you advice about how to request the subpoena, but many courts have forms available. A good place to start is the website of the court your legal matter is in. The Supreme Court of Virginia... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Virginia on
Q: I owe over 14,000 in child support arrears and our kids are all over 19. Can i get it reduced or waived?

Most of the arrears that i owe is because i was out of work because i could not afford to work. The first couple of years that i paid child support my bring home checks after taxes and child support was deducted i only brought home $0.14 a week. Is there anything i can do?

Sonja Aoun
Sonja Aoun answered on Apr 23, 2021

A court cannot grant you relief from an arrearage in child support. It is very important to make sure you making at least some contribution to the debt so you are not held in contempt of court. If your wages are being garnished, there are limits to the amount that can be withheld by law. An... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Virginia on
Q: I have been done wrong by two lawyers that i have paid. Is there a lawyer who would help contingent on payment after?

Pay after settlement We have been separated for two years now

Sonja Aoun
Sonja Aoun answered on Apr 16, 2021

It sounds like you're in a difficult situation. However, not many attorneys would be interested in this type of arrangement. You may wish to contact some of the local agencies who provide pro bono or low-cost services for legal clients. Or, you might invite your spouse to mediation. You can... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Virginia on
Q: We live in Virginia but my daughter who is 171/2 want to live with a friend in Alabama. Is this legal with my permission
Sonja Aoun
Sonja Aoun answered on Apr 14, 2021

You will need to find out whether this arrangement is permissible in Alabama. As her parents, under Virginia law, you are still responsible for her and required to support her financially. If she wishes to ask a court in Virginia for emancipation, she could do so if she meets the criteria. Then... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Virginia on
Q: I share 50/50 legal custody and have visitation in VA, I recently remarried. Can my wife to get kid info on my behalf?

My new wife has been around the kids since 2018. Until recently my ex included her in everything and authorized her to full access. We were all friendly happy coparents until marriage- now my ex is hiring a lawyer to keep my wife away from the kids who LOVE her.

Sonja Aoun
Sonja Aoun answered on Apr 8, 2021

I understand your question to be whether you can authorize your new wife to access your children's information on your behalf. You can certainly add your wife as another person who can receive information or contact the school or doctor's office, for example, but the children's... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.