Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado Public Benefits Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Probate and Public Benefits for Colorado on
Q: What are options for CO PERA children survivor benefits beyond children UTMA accounts and court-appointed conservator?

Colorado PERA Survivor Benefits booklet lists another option for payment to a person who has care and custody of the children with whom they reside.

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Colorado on
Q: Hello, I need to know if having or dropping a disability lawsuit in one state will effect getting disability in another.

My friend has been trying to receive disability payments from the Idaho government for over 4 years now and they have refused to five way despite major surgery and genetic health issues. She has attempted and opened a lawsuit against the state, but has been barred from recognition and has been... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 15, 2022

Attorneys in Idaho and Colorado could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Your friend should consider a consult with an attorney (or attorneys) familiar with the disability systems in Colorado and Idaho before taking any serious measures, such as dropping the Idaho lawsuit... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Education Law, Family Law and Public Benefits for Colorado on
Q: When I am of legal age in the state of Colorado (18) do my guardians have any control over the location of my education
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko PRO label
answered on Jul 25, 2020

It depends on the nature of the guardianship and what it provides for. Usually those past the age of 18 do not have guardians.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Public Benefits for Colorado on
Q: Can you change your mind the next day and ask the courts if you could remöve your name off the contract?

Landlord would not downsize me to a one bedroom. My section 8 voucher was lowered from a two bedroom and I couldn't afford it and I fell behind in rent . furthermore, the contract states I must vacate after paying incorrectly charged costs 28 days they want $1500 and no money to move with and... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby
answered on Feb 6, 2019

You can file a motion for reconsideration or request the court to reject your stipulated settlement agreement.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Public Benefits for Colorado on
Q: if my sister let me stay for over a month and she on section 8 how long can they evicted me
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on May 7, 2017

This is largely defined by the lease agreement. Section 8 (or a normal lease) generally prevent long-term occupancy by parties not listed on the lease agreement. The term is defined by the lease agreement. For most agreements, this is usually a month or less. That said, a lot is determined by the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Colorado on
Q: Allegations and record of arrest are Basis for proposal to terminate section 8 voucher. A full dismissal of all charges.

Proposed termination of my section 8 housing voucher weighed heavily upon allegations and arrest record as the result of allegations made by police departnent for basis and grounds to terminate per PHA's policy regarding criminal drug activity. Per legal aid notification made to PHA prior to... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Nov 3, 2016

It depends on the nature of the Section 8 termination hearing. If it was solely based on a criminal charge, the dismissal should bar a termination based on criminal conduct. If the termination had other claims unrelated to the criminal charges, the dismissal may not impact these grounds for a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Colorado on
Q: Can another lawyer examine me without the presence of my legal council in front of a HUD hearings officer ?

Housing authority sent proposed termination of my section 8 housing voucher. I requested an informal hearing and explained I was seeking legal council through legal aid who later notified me unable to represent me because the factual basis for termination are reault of a active open criminal... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Oct 31, 2016

I am not familiar with all the specific of HUD regulations, but as a general rule for most agency office reviews, lawyers for the agency are not involved. A lawyer for the agency will only be present if the office appealing party notifies that they will retain a lawyer (as you correctly did). Since... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Public Benefits for Colorado on
Q: I have an outstanding child support arrearage owed to me that child support enforcement has always handled for me.

He has never paid or paid as little as he could get by with for years and has amassed quite an arrearage as a result. I would go 2 to 3 months without a payment and was told they could not do anything unless he missed more than a month. Which he often did and I would just call and soon after I... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Mar 12, 2016

It is common practice for the government to take priority for TANF payments when back child support is paid. If you feel this was an error and/or you want to pursue civil collections against your ex I suggest that you hire a lawyer. There are also some pro bono resources which may be available:... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Colorado on
Q: Do you work with social security And SSi existing benefits?

My Dad Passed away over 30 years ago. My Mom was entitled to partial of my dads social income as well of his VA.In the mix I have two older brothers that receive benefits from Social Security and SSI . Now that Mom Passed this year my two older brothers benefits have been reduced .My question is... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Feb 15, 2016

You can hire a lawyer (which is easier), but you can also see if you can resolve yourself. You will likely need to be present with your brothers for your office visit. See if you can schedule an appointment at your local SS office (expect this not to work). If you cannot schedule an appointment,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Colorado on


Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Jan 6, 2016

Is this currently in probate? If it is, the personal representative may want to contact a lawyer to review options for returning the check. If the estate is not currently in probate, I would recommend that the family (ideally the likely personal representative included) make an appointment with... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.