Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Appeals / Appellate Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Sexual Harassment for New York on
Q: Is this case ongoing or deferred or has the defendant been sentenced?E.D.N.Y. Docket No. 17-CR-281 (ERK)?

This is a case about a correctional offiicer accused of sexual abuse of a ward in Brooklyn mdc. I want to know if this case was handled tried and if he was convicted and sentenced.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for Florida on
Q: In Fla.'s 14th judicial circuit court , is accepting a plea deal - waiving all rights to appeal- irreversible?

I pose this question w/ no pretense @ all- just need %100 clarity as it seems even when it appears matters are written, notarised etc. there usually seems to be some legal loophole or recourse despite being' final'..

Keith Upson
Keith Upson
answered on May 27, 2023

Unless there is a legal dispositive issue that has been expressly reserved,


0 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Arizona on
Q: Can a decision to deny a conditional use permit by Gila County Board of supervisors be appealed?

We applied for a Conditional use Permit (zoning variance) to have a small retail business on our property which is zoned Residential (R1-12). This retail business was in harmony with like businesses along the highway 87 multiuse corridor and the Pine vision for the area. They are telling us we... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Nevada on
Q: Once a case/charges have been dismissed with prejudice they can't be brought to court its permanently done correct?

A judge can't over rule another judges ruling on the same charges that were dismissed with prejudice correct?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Tax Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Business Law for Ohio on
Q: been erroneously garnished by the tax dept I am looking for the best course of action after....

They think I am running a business that has been defunct for 9 years. I produced evidence that this was not the case and proof I made them aware of this years ago. I sent this to the tax office, Attorney General and the courts. They were dragging their feet so I contacted Ohio Senate and got them... Read more »

David Ostrove
David Ostrove
answered on May 25, 2023

Keep om writing to the authorities not less often then every three weeks. Explain everything, in detail. Do not give up. Eventually you will indeed get their attention and they will respond in a correct positive manner. Don't give up!


Attorney at Law

6157 Wooster Ave

L.A., CA 90056

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Public Benefits for Mississippi on
Q: I was fired from Pizza hut jan.12 2023, I was told I was fired because my performance didn't meet their premiere standar

I didn't meet their premiere standards after they appealed my unemployment they said at hearing I got fired for missing 2 days in a row no call no show , but I know I worked those specific days cause Google maps and I worked my aunts birthday jan. 9. They are lying about the dates. . Can you... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
answered on May 28, 2023

First you need to have a hearing with an ALJ on your unemployment claim, and present your evidence showing that you were improperly terminated under false allegations. Then, once you win that, you need to contact an employee's rights attorney in your local area. You need to consult an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Texas on
Q: if I sign a contract to have a baby at the same time as my best friend do i have to do it

That’s all

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
answered on May 24, 2023

Signed a contract with who? Contracts with an illegal purpose are not enforceable. This is not appellate law, it could be criminal law or contract law, maybe even Family law relating to surrogate mothers. Insufficient information to provide you a complete answer.

0 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for New York on
Q: Can you help me get a residency decision reversed for a CUNY? for last semester. We paid $11,000 instead of $3000 .

The student arrived to NY permenantly Jan 2022. We had applied for her to come here the year before. Her dad works for the CITY of NY and I am a New Yorker. She has every intention of staying here. They denied residency because she didn't live here for 1 full calendar year. She visits every... Read more »

Q: Sister has filed ejectment against me I have a court date Friday may 26 is there anybody who could help represent me ?

The estate is still in my late father's name I have lived in my house for 12 years thinking I was going to be able to buy house . my sister is executor and would never sign off on house so I go could buy it . Now she wants me out of there I have court on Friday may 26 th I live in Washington... Read more »

Peter J. Weinman
Peter J. Weinman pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 23, 2023

Volunteer lawyers at Justia are not permitted to solicit your business. Start your search here:

2 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Personal Injury, Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for New Jersey on
Q: If a judgement was rendered on a matter that I failed to submit an answer, do I have any option to appeal?

I received a summons and failed to provide so answer in the allotted time. A judgment was rendered and I have not satisfied it. The judgement was regarding an accident I got into in 2019, I was uninsured at the time. There were only paint scratches to the other person’s car, but they sued me for... Read more »

Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
answered on May 23, 2023

Depending on how long ago it was, you may be able to file a motion to set aside based on excusable neglect.

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Georgia on
Q: Is a dismissed case from Georgia supreme Court the end when notice was filed late to Habeas? file a reconsideration?

My dad filed his appeal to Georgia supreme Court on time after being denied his Habeas. However, his notice to appeal was filled late because he didn't know he needed to file that motion to the Habeas court, until his paperwork from the supreme Court stayed he needed to do it.

Since... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Domestic Violence for Georgia on
Q: Is a 911 tape acceptable to be play at trial by victim that been drinking?
Glenn T. Stern
Glenn T. Stern pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 21, 2023

Whether or not the tape would be admissible would depend on why it's being offered. However, generally speaking, the fact that the person on the tape had been drinking would not in itself make it inadmissible.

0 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Constitutional Law for Washington DC on
Q: Where can I find a constitutional lawyer that will do contingency in Virginia or Washington dc

Need help asap need appeals federal court case

0 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Constitutional Law for Virginia on
Q: My constitutional civil right case the judge mail memorandum and order to vacate dismissal under rule 60(b)

And reinstate civil case [ECF] filed December 14 2022 my order was mailed out may 4 did not get my mail til 19 th. What do I need to do can a appeals be filed

Q: If I came to an agreement with my landlord at court but he's not doing all he said can I appeal it?

I have dual diagnosis and am not working is there any help available for me and my son?

Q: Who will represent me im a person with a Disability in the Commonwealth of Pennsyl for 2 civil rights deprivation suits

It's AGAINST a Dr where I was going for my Recovery til he tried to manipulate and intimidate me with OPPS PROPAGANDA. I got 2: open active cases supreme Court Western district of Pa

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on May 19, 2023

Civil rights cases are too complex for most attorneys. You should retain the services of an experienced civil rights lawyer in or near the county where your case is pending or where it needs to be filed. Because of the relatively low rate of success and limited damages available, you should... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Georgia on
Q: Does the precedent being used in 1st circuit court rulings also have to be in 1st circuit to be relevant or considered?

When a court uses precedent in their rulings- say it's within the 1st Circuit does the case they use for precedent also have to be within the 1st circuit or does it matter as long as it's relevant to the case no matter which circuit or court it was held in?

0 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Arkansas on
Q: Can a lawyer charge u to appeal a case that he didn't appeal the first time he was asked to?

I was charged with disorderly conduct just for exercising my first amendment right and I told my lawyer I wanted to appeal the decision and he never did now he's trying to say it will cost me $165 to appeal any case! Is this true? And legal?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.