Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
District of Columbia Copyright Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for District of Columbia on
Q: Does a printed book retain the copyright year of the online book?

I edit the United States Code. If the online Code is published in 2019 but the printed volume is not published until 2020, should the printed volume's copyright year remain 2019?

Barbara Berschler
Barbara Berschler answered on Apr 8, 2020

If the printed version appearing in 2020 is the same as the 2019 version, then it sounds like they are the same work just offered in another format, such a hardback book and a paperback. If there are changes between the 2 versions, you could note two copyright dates in the later version. You... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Trademark for District of Columbia on
Q: Are there any copyright or trademark issues in using "There's no place like home" in the headline of an advertisement?

Thank you for your answer. This advertisement is for a university and recruiting purposes.

Robyn T. Williams
Robyn T. Williams answered on Feb 11, 2020

Such phraseology falls under trademarks. Whether your use of "there is no place like home" for an advertisement will be problematic, depends on the products for which you are advertising. There are 15 live registrations in the USPTO with the phrase, or some variation thereof, in use. If... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Business Law, Intellectual Property and Trademark for District of Columbia on
Q: Is it allowed to use logos of automotive companies in the commercial video? The video shows the progress of the industry

I'm a video editor and was hired to make an internal use video for one company that wants to expand their business. As a part of the video, we need short animation showing the race for electrification in the automotive industry. I need to include logos of the GM, TESLA, NISSAN, and other... Read more »

Andrew Zulieve Esq
Andrew Zulieve Esq answered on Dec 17, 2018

Although such use may not amount to a trademark (or perhaps copyright) infringement, my suggestion is to contact each company and obtain their written authorizations to use their respective logos.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Copyright, International Law and Trademark for District of Columbia on
Q: I am an American citizen and want to trademark and artist's name in Canada - can I do that?

I would like to do it as an intent to use, seeing as right now there's no music to release. That being said, it would be great to start using the name as soon as possible and register it as the name for a registered songwriter/artist in Canada. Is it possible to trademark the same name in the... Read more »

Benton R Patterson III
Benton R Patterson III answered on Nov 7, 2017

Yes, a US citizen can register a trademark in both the United States and Canada. There are international treaties that allow US trademark owners to extend their trademark rights to other countries and vice versa. You should speak with a trademark attorney on how to register your mark.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Trademark for District of Columbia on
Q: how much does it cost to trademark a name

Im currently interested in trademarking my name / brand for higher purposes.

Benton R Patterson III
Benton R Patterson III answered on Sep 8, 2017

To obtain a trademark you will incur filing fees of $225 to $400 per class, attorneys fees, and search costs. The attorneys fees and search costs can very significantly depending on the attorney and the extent of the search. Many lawyers will provide trademark registration services for a flat fee... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for District of Columbia on
Q: I work for a nonprofit research/edu org. Does Fair Use apply to photos for our mag or do I need copyright permission?

We publish a journal bi-annually that has research-based articles with the purpose of informing both policy and the public. It has a print distribution of 10,000, and then is posted belatedly for free online. We have been using creative commons photos and those we can get permission for, but there... Read more »

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Mar 17, 2017



More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more...
Read more »

Q: I would like to file a patent for an accessible phone for the elderly. How do I go about it? What would be the cost?

How much time would it take?

Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek answered on Jan 4, 2017

Welcome to Justia!

How do you go about it? Get in touch with a patent lawyer. He/She will guide you through the process.

What is the cost? To get a patent costs about as much as buying a car. A few thousand to a few tens of thousands of dollars, depending on many things. About...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Intellectual Property for District of Columbia on
Q: In order to sue for Copyright Infringement do I need to register the copyrighted work with the government?
Howard Alan Newman MBA
Howard Alan Newman MBA answered on Nov 28, 2016

No. You may sue under the common law for copyright infringement. However, to make use of the federal statute, which has real teeth in its statutory damages, for example, the work would have needed to have been registered first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.