Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Missouri Public Benefits Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Social Security and Public Benefits for Missouri on
Q: What do I need to do to get SSDI started , I have spent 16 years in prison and I'm having the hardest time on the outsid
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
answered on Mar 8, 2023

If you were approved for SSDI disability benefits and they were suspended because you were in prison, you can request that Social Security reinstate your benefits. You also need to provide Social Security a copy of your prison release documents. Eligibility for SSI terminates after you have been... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits and Real Estate Law for Missouri on
Q: Have a situation where a buyers bank appraisal was lower than our contract price. The buyer had an appraisal rider

in the contract. They verbally agreed through their agent to honor our agreed upon contract price which happened to be 8K higher than their appraisal. We listed our house on Zillow so are in essence representing ourselves Should we require the buyers to sign an amendment stating that they agree... Read more »

Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
answered on Mar 9, 2020

If it's not in writing, it didn't happen. The terms of the contract changed if the appraisal contingency was not met and the buyers want to complete the transaction anyway. You should consult a lawyer to formalize the arrangement.

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Missouri on
Q: notice to vacate or notice to quit which form is used to file for a court hearing on eviction hearing

i have taken to the court house clerk a notice to vacate, eviction notice, execution application, sheriff has delivered 30 day notice court will not advise on what forms i need only forms i havent taken is a notice to quit?

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
answered on Dec 11, 2018

Two of the most common type of eviction cases are rent and possession and unlawful detainer. They are controlled by different statutes. Without knowing your situation, I have no way to determine what type of suit you could file.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Personal Injury, Public Benefits and Social Security for Missouri on
Q: This is about a close friend who is on disability. Can you help?

A close friend got a letter stating they found a 7 year old mistake on his disability records and they are demanding he repay back around $100,000 in 30 days. Does he have a legitimate case?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Nov 3, 2017

If the letter is from CMS then it should have a notice about a right to assert a waiver of overpayment. Your friend needs to contact the local Legal Services office.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security, Health Care Law and Public Benefits for Missouri on
Q: my wife is on disability social security but why does she have to wait 18 mths to get medicare ins
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Aug 4, 2016

A weirdness in the law that no Congress has bothered to cure. If you think it stinks, join those advocating for a change. In the meantime, she should be eligible for

medical assistance.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections, Employment Law, Public Benefits and Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: I collected Unemployment in the state of Massachusetts in 2006-2007.

I was found to not be eligible for the unemployment benefits. I appealed the decision and I lost so I immediately repaid the amount I was given. During the appeals process the state charged me interested on what I owed. At the time I was appealing the decision was living in another state (MO) and... Read more »

Marshall Jason Ray
Marshall Jason Ray
answered on Apr 28, 2016

You were caught in the Treasury Offset Program -- TOP. TOP has become one of the primary avenues for states to collect outstanding unemployment overpayments. Generally speaking, this program is legal, as long as the state agency using it follows the various requirements of federal law. Child... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Missouri on
Q: Is it illegal / fraudulent for a mother in missouri to get food stamps & medicaid for a child who doesn't live with her

The child visits every Wednesday night and every other weekend, and the child already has insurance through the father's employment

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Nov 8, 2015

Perhaps not. You should ask the welfare department. I doubt that insurance makes any difference, however.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.