Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Health Care Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Health Care Law on
Q: I have maintained an "Inactive" physician license for years. I follow the rules as explained in the Indiana Code. I

am told I cannot write Rx or practice regardless of my Inactive Status. The code does not endorse the Board's statement.

2018 Indiana Code TITLE 25. Professions and Occupations ARTICLE 22.5. PHYSICIANS CHAPTER 6. Discipline; Retirement of Licenses 25-22.5-6-1. Retirement and surrender;... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Health Care Law for Florida on
Q: I was served and ate a portion of a raw hamburger that was not cooked at all in the center.

I was sick for 4 days and it ruined our family Thanksgiving meal.

I have been contacted by their Insurance Co. Do I need a lawyer...!!

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Dec 1, 2021

It can be argued that you "assumed the risk" if you ate the raw meat after discovering it was raw. And you would have to prove, should it go to court, that the raw meat made you sick. Also, your damages might not be substantial enough to warrant the expense and inconvenience of a... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Health Care Law for Texas on
Q: If I was discharged from a primary care physician with less than 24 hours notice w/o emergency care services provided.

Primary Care clinic wanted to make me pay for an office visit so they'd send a referral that was already valid and on file. They discharged me when I said I didn't want to come in for this appointment and when I brought it to the attention of the manager that my HIPAA rights were violated... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Civil Rights and Health Care Law for Louisiana on
Q: Must I abide to details of a listing agreement?

I was ordered to sign a listing agreement for the partition of co-owned property. I signed the agreement but it has been one month and I have not shown the house due to COVID concerns. I just received a Motion for Contempt. I don’t know if that puts me in contempt since the order only stated I... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Nov 30, 2021

You need to agree to requested showings. The CDC concluded that surface transmission was low. Get vaccinated. You can require that anyone looking at the house wear a mask and stay outside yourself until the showing is over. If not, you can be held in contempt.

2 Answers | Asked in Federal Crimes, Family Law, Health Care Law and Probate for New Jersey on
Q: Is knowingly submitting false information or hiding relevant information on a Medicaid recovery claim document fraud?

I live in the state of New Jersey. My sister is currently administering my late mother’s estate, which includes a Medicaid lien of 200 thousand dollars (including additional charges). Medicaid sent notice to the estate administrator to provide a full accounting of the my late mother’s estate.... Read more »

Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb answered on Nov 27, 2021

Yes submission of knowingly false information to the government is a criminal act. The possible maximum penalties are quite severe. I suggest you speak to an attorney with experience in handling federal criminal acts.

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for California on
Q: Reckless action by ambulance company 9/23/2019. What is time limit, is it extended due to Covid? "Toll"?

Ambulance refused to take me to Hospital affiliated with the Urgent Care I was at in Angels Camp, CA for hours with difficulty breathing, oxygen level at 80%. They wanted to go to hospital in the town they worked, rather than drive half an hour. I was forced to sit in the ambulance, with breathing... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for New Jersey on
Q: I want to file a civil complaint in the District court of NJ pro se and In forma Pauperus .

Where do I need to send the complaint to if it is: 1. local police department 2. county prosecutors office 3. County Correctional center 4. Apartment complex All include multiple defendants .

Do I send it to the District court with the complaint and copies and summons or what paperwork... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Dec 3, 2021

You are not a trained attorney. You do not know the Court Rules, Rules of Evidence, case law, nor are you trained how to handle a legal case, especially if litigation is involved. However, if you do not retain counsel, and the opposing party does have counsel, you could get slaughtered... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Health Care Law, Nursing Home Abuse and Wrongful Death for California on
Q: Can this facility be liable for my grandmother's death?

my grandmother had an accident about a month ago and fell proceeding to injure herself. she was placed in a rehab facility for it and has been in their care for about 3 weeks now. As of 3 days ago she tested positive for covid and is now needing oxygen support and cannot maintain her airway and was... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice on
Q: Are emergency room physicians allowed to not issue PEC to someone who arrives by ambulance that repeats over and over

She just wants to die. Her dad got a phone call from her after he left her residence to go pick up her 2 lil boys because she was then to kill herself. When a cop gets there she simply states she needs an ambulance because if she didn't go to the hospital she was to surely die.

Once... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Health Care Law for Michigan on
Q: Are we able to retain ownership of our home if we qualify for Medicaid; what is the max. income to qualify for Medicaid?

Are there other assets Medicaid can take from our estate?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Nov 24, 2021

Depends on who you mean by "we" and who would be the qualifying person for Medicaid. Ordinarily, the value of the primary residence is exempt for qualification purposes; you can "keep" it while the person is alive. However, once a person dies, the state may seek to recover what... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Insurance Defense and Health Care Law for Nevada on
Q: If a dental insurance company does not cover a service such as implants, but has a fee schedule, can we use UCR fees?

NRS 695.227 prohibits this. How does this legislation protect dentists from insurance companies dictating lower fees?

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Health Care Law for Virginia on
Q: I have been charged by va code 18.2-308.1:3, and it shows on any background check that I was invol committed, hippa?

This shows up on any background check including pre employment, this has to be a violation, I haven't even and won't be convicted of anything. Even if they expunge my record this will still show for some time

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Health Care Law for Florida on
Q: I live in Florida. The sister-in-law of a guy I met not long ago, is a pharmacist at Walgreens. She went into my

medical history without reason or permission and told other people what was in it. I have never actually met her and have never been to that Walgreens. I wanted to know what course of action I could take, the specific laws she's breaking and what the penalty would be. I would also like to know... Read more »

Michael  Mayoral
Michael Mayoral answered on Nov 23, 2021

It sounds like your medical privacy rights may have been violated. You can make a complaint with Walgreens for the HIPAA violation. 45 C.F.R. § 164.530(d) requires that covered entities have procedures in place for individuals to complain about an entity’s compliance with its privacy policies... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Health Care Law for Texas on
Q: Can we sue a store if a employee didn't call 911 when asked? She basically laughed and said my dad didn't need 1

My dad drove himself to hospital when Employee didn't call 911 for him his blood pressure was over 200 and was having a heart attack

0 Answers | Asked in Health Care Law for Oregon on
Q: a hospice nurse gave my 15 year old son 4 liquid doses of morphine to administer every Hour on hour

Patient whom we lived with as a domestic assitant. She then left the house. My son gave the first 2 said he didn't feel right about it and then Dan was even worse falling all over unable to talk. Extending his life by 4 days where we later took the medication and died. Morally and ethically... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Health Care Law for California on
Q: Hello, regarding Ca code bpc 2135-2153 reciprocity. For Canadian OBGY with IMG training ( UK training).

over 20 years of good standing in Canada as OBGYN, and did all the Canadian licence exams, can he get California licence without north American training? can they wave the condition of 36 month of North American training and accept reciprocity,

He is assistant professor at the university... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Health Care Law for Washington on
Q: Is it wrong for my therapist to forward text messages that were between her and I to my mom?

Hello I was seeing a therapist who I had sessions with over the phone and I was also able to text her whenever I wanted to and I did pretty often. I had been seeing this therapist for like 4 years and felt like we had a really good connection and I definitely confided in I would vent to her very... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Health Care Law, Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice for California on
Q: Do I have do I have any recourse against a hospital that made , big mistakes that left husband incapacitated.

On April 4th last year my husband went to e.r. to have his foot looked at that have turned bright red and purple in color he's up in the hallway all night long without being looked at they finally were going to release him that morning and he said his foot was hurting they gave him a pain... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Nov 18, 2021




View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.