Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nebraska Construction Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Construction Law for Nebraska on
Q: Contractor replaced siding and gutters on my home as agreed. When I returned home, I found my screen porch gone

Contractor explained workers were at the wrong house. It was a mistake. I’ve given four months of opportunity for them to replace the porch as it was and they stayed there done but the porch is not as it was due. I have to pay them.

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
answered on Apr 28, 2023

You would likely need to at least pay them for whatever work they did accomplish minus whatever reasonable damages still remain from what they did when they accidentally removed the porch. You would need to speak with an attorney about the specifics of your case to see if that is your best course... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law, Small Claims and Construction Law for Nebraska on
Q: we hired a guy to do our sideing and roof on the house back in september we havent heard from him since what to do
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
answered on Jan 9, 2023

I assume that you also paid this person. There are cases of fraud where a contractor accepts payment or partial payment and then leaves the area without doing any work or having the intention to do so. If you believe you may have been scammed, you may want to contact the non-emergency line and... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law, Consumer Law and Contracts for Nebraska on
Q: I am trying to find the class action law suit filed against a pool builder in Omaha, NE. Where would I find this info?

This would have been filed against Stanger Enterprise DBA Premier Pools which is now located in Valley, NE.

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
answered on Nov 3, 2022

If you want to search for cases that have been filed against a specific party in Nebraska, you can search the Court cases by party name. You can do this online through the case files available on the Nebraska Judicial Branches website. If you want to look at case specific information beyond party... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Construction Law for Nebraska on
Q: Is it legal for construction companies to re-surface a gravel road and not place warning signs?

I was driving at around 40 mph to my girlfriend's house on a gravel road, and we came up a hill and there was a long row of gravel piled up in the middle of the road. This is a major arterial road, and there were no warning signs, so as a result, it destroyed my scrape guard underneath my car,... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jun 15, 2021

A Nebraska attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. In many places, it could depend on the road and the amount of traffic it gets. Good practices would have involved cordoning off the gravel and putting up signs, just as you mention, so that it wouldn't be a hazard... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Agricultural Law, Construction Law and Land Use & Zoning for Nebraska on
Q: My brother and I each want to put a house on 74 acres in NE, but the county doesn't allow more than one home per qtr.

But, there is a special condition that if we are ranchers and own all the land, a 2nd home can be built, so we can "get around" the problem of not being able to build two homes, by not separating the 74 acres into 2 parcels (so we both own the ground), so no real problem so far. But, I... View More

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
answered on Jan 6, 2021

Your question is too specific for a general posting board like this. You will want to consult a real estate attorney experienced with farm land issues to see what exceptions might apply in your specific situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Contracts for Nebraska on
Q: Can a contractor circumvent the law by forcing the property owner to sign a contract that tells them to.

In Nebraska, the law is that a contractor must place a fence 14 inches from any utility lines. If a contractor places a provision in the contract with the land owner that the land owner will be liable for any damage to utility lines as a result of the land owner asking for less than a 14 inch... View More

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
answered on Apr 7, 2020

Unless the State is part of the agreement, a private agreement between parties that they won't follow the law doesn't make the law unenforceable. That being said, it is allowed in certain circumstances for parties to contract for one party to indemnify the other party for costs... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.