Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Mexico Health Care Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Health Care Law for New Mexico on
Q: Is non-compete enforceable?

I am an SLP who works for a company based out of state but I live in Albuquerque and work for APS through them. In a covenants/provisions clause of my contract, I am not to work for APS for 12 months after my contract expires. I feel this is unreasonable since APS is the only public school in the... Read more »

Kyle Anderson
Kyle Anderson answered on Apr 29, 2020

Non-competes, generally speaking, are enforceable. There are factors a court takes into account to determine if they are too restrictive and thus, unenforceable. This varies state to state. I would recommend reaching out to an employment lawyer in your state for a consultation.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Health Care Law for New Mexico on
Q: How can I find out the standards for methadone clinics in New Mexico?

Must a provider be a physician? Must a patient take daily dose on site, or are doses sent home? If I have concerns about a clinic, who do I report my concerns to?

David Humphreys
David Humphreys answered on Oct 11, 2017

Generally, the New Mexico Department of Health regulates health care facilities.

I did a quick Google search and located the following information:

Rosemary Nowak

New Mexico Behavioral Health Services DivisionPO Box 2348

37 Plaza La Prensa PO Box

Santa Fe,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Health Care Law for New Mexico on
Q: Are there any case references for New Mexico in reguards to balanced billing?

Or any references to health care providers not billing third part health insurance providers in a timely manner?

David Humphreys
David Humphreys answered on Aug 17, 2017

yes. There is a regulation. See TITLE 8 CHAPTER 302 PART 2 NMAC.

It may not apply to your situation. I am not aware of any court rulings on this provision of the Administrative Code. It is a little complicated. More information would be helpful. What type of services? Was their medicare,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law, Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury and Car Accidents for New Mexico on
Q: Can I sue the NM Medical Board, State of New Mexico & other medical authorities for neglecting to address proper care?

I am permanently disabled from a motorcycle vs. drunk driver in a van in 1986, where I received multiple serious injuries and came very close to death. Leg tore to shreds, vertical fracture of my pelvis (split in half), crushed hand, broken arm. I worked hard to recover and rehabilitate, all the... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 29, 2017

Short answer is no. Courts don't tell administrative agencies what to do, and it's within their discretion. However, if your problem is getting a rehab plan or similar going, you will want to contact a group that deals with pain like the cancer socieity for your state, etc.

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for New Mexico on
Q: I had surgery on Jan 22 (appendix) on my 2nd follow-up appt. the surgeon tested my wound for infection. The hospital

The hosp confirmed MRSA on Feb 6. The dr didn't inform me until Feb. 18. My father has been changing my bandage 2 times a day, everyday. I feel this surgeon is at fault for not giving me the results for nearly 2 weeks.

Joshua Bradley
Joshua Bradley answered on Nov 25, 2016

There are many factors in a medical malpractice lawsuit. One factor in particular would be that the negligence of the medical provider must be the cause of damages. In other words, just because there was a delay in notification of a medical condition, does not always translate to damages. If you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law for New Mexico on
Q: Do we need to have a certified translator in a clinic setting to translate to Spanish speaking patients?

We have Spanish speaking employees assist Spanish speaking patients with paper work and when they see a provider.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Sep 17, 2015

No, not necessarily certified. But they should be fluent in Spanish as well as English.

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law for New Mexico on
Q: I work at a clinic and was wondering what our rights are when we informally translate to patients (language wise)?

Do we need to have a certified translator to speak or review forms to that individual?

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Sep 17, 2015

Instead of rights, do you perhaps mean liability exposure? Because yes, you are potentially asking for trouble if you are not sure that what you are saying in the foreign language is understood in the way you intend.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.