Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Washington Native American Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Native American Law for Washington on
Q: Can I stop an out of state move of MY 2 Children from Washington State to Wyoming?Like an emergency hearing to stop move

MY 2 Children are under ICWA.

MY position is that the dept dcyf/cps failed at doing their part and same w the tribe they have both lost the opportunity 2 do their job. The tribe, well the tribe reps failed at representing their tribe member by not supporting MY Children the entire... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 28, 2023

If you wish to stop the out-of-state move of your two children from Washington to Wyoming, you should immediately consult with an attorney in Washington who is familiar with child custody and ICWA (Indian Child Welfare Act) matters. An attorney can help you assess the situation, determine if an... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Native American Law for Washington on
Q: Are GOV vehicles registered to a tribe required to have insurance if driven off the reservation?

23 year old tribal member involved in accident off the reservation. No insurance, but is a GOV truck registered to the tribe. Who is held liable, non-insured driver or the tribe that's the registered owner?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jan 23, 2019

Generally both. Tribal law governs on tribal land. Take the vehicle outside the rez or national boundary, then the state law applies. However tribe should have some type of umbrella policy.

1 Answer | Asked in Native American Law for Washington on
Q: Did the Executive Branch work during the time of the Cherokee Nation v. Georgia?
Matthew Parham
Matthew Parham
answered on May 10, 2012

It's an unusual question. In Cherokee Nation v. Georgia the Cherokee sued Georgia seeking release of a Cherokee citizen being tried for a murder committed on the Cherokee territory, taking the position that Georgia lacked jurisdiction over that territory. While the suit was pending, Georgia... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.